1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vibration in steering wheel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wrecit, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Wrecit

Wrecit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Got a new to me 2006 last night. I know it needs some work but that's part of the fun of used cars, right?

One item that I am scratching my head on is a vibration in the steering wheel and gas peddle on acceleration. I do know the right front speed sensor is bad an needs replaced but don't think that would be it. In a gas car I would first think motor mount. So what do the experts think?

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Your car HAS a gas engine and many of the same considerations still apply.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm far from expert on vibration issues, but one thing I've learned, is 'fix the obvious first'.

If you're showing a code for the right front sensor, I would start with that, just to make sure I wasn't chasing my tail later.

4. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No expert, but lots of experience with problems. I had a vibration, perhaps like yours. On close inspection I found one of the front tires was out of round and de-laminating. I've had this happen 3 times or more. Seems to me the car is light weight and tires "time out" before they wear out..

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dirty oil can cause a rough running engine... Was recently working on a Prius and its engine didn't sound good with excessive vibration. Turns out it hadn't had an oil change since August of 2018. So I added a little engine flush before I changed the oil and that solved it. Will probably change oil early and do another engine flush to make sure the mess is mostly gone.

And as @TMR-JWAP said above 'fix the obvious' first. So do that... Also sometimes vibration is reduced with new air filter and spark plugs and throttle and mass air flow sensor cleaning and then reset the 12v so computer creates new engine settings. Also a guy wants me to replace his trans fluid due to similar symptoms and I'm skeptical about that, but he's paying me so...