1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vic with techstream and Aftermarket Brake Caliper

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cole2005, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Cole2005

Cole2005 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello everyone, well I have a 2005 and I need to replace my caliper but I can’t afforded the OEM from the dealership so I would like to buy the next best one. Which brand would you recommend for the caliper? Also I would like to buy the cable device for the techstream off of eBay which brand have you had success with? And once when I have the device for the techstream how do I get it install on the windows laptop and does it cost a fee for it?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Calipers are a toss up you can rebuild your factory one right there in the driveway with the hone the drill and a rubber kit that cost about $13 or you can buy a remanufactured caliper that's has all that done already and I would say pretty much pick your poison it's kind of hard to mess up rebuilding a caliper this three pieces the bleed screw the piston and the pins it slides on if you want to count those so pretty much I'd say have at it I rebuilt the calipers on my '05 right here at the house with the proper size flex hone rags cleaner and the rubber kit 20 minutes

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sure, a brake caliper can be easy to rebuild.

Unless the bleeder screw is seized or broken, or the piston is seized and corroded, or the caliper piston bore is corroded and damaged.

Then it's not so easy.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Cole2005

Cole2005 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One

It’s too late. I have already destroyed it and turned it in as a core charged.
    I replaced it with a Napa brand caliper but after I did that yesterday someone said you should had done the other size because that one is going to go. So I’m like, let me back another one but I want to make sure it’s a good one.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here's a good place for a PSA: Toyota bleeders come with rubber caps on them.

As long as the rubber caps stay there, the bleeders tend to stay nice and easy to open. Let the rubber caps be lost, and they easily get horribly seized. They have passages through them, so salt water enters and rusts the threads from the inside as well as out.

Check your bleeders! If any of the caps are missing, they are included in the rubber kits you can buy to rebuild calipers. I think they're also available a la carte.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's working I say buy the kitt n rebuild it something you need to learn to do anyway it's kind of fun and It wont take you long if you got the caliper already off in your hand holy Christ you're halfway there.