1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Victim of a hit and run—again

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Gokhan, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You know, if it is really that much, then it would have been cheaper in a long run not to file an insurance claim and fix the car on your own. In your case, it may have to be fixed to pass the inspection because of the broken tail lamp, but I could keep driving my car like that, and just before trading in, I would take it to the cheapest body shop to get the cosmetics all fixed up without reporting the accident.

Or, does the use of a body shop to repair the car automatically put the accident record on the CarFax?

Gokhan likes this.
  2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Good question. I don't know.

3. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This is where they hit my car. You can see the broken pieces of my rear left combination turn signal. You can also see my aqua-colored car in the background, hopefully parked in a safer spot. There is a divider in the foreground not seen in the photograph, which is the same as the divider in the background. There are three rows of tandem spots between the two dividers, and I was in the middle spot parked head-in.

When I was taking the pictures, several cars drove just by me as if these spots were a driveway. Therefore, it is quite possible that the car that hit me was trying to drive through the spot next to me. They could also have thought that this was a driveway and I was blocking it and vandalized my car with their old car or truck in anger. Ironically, there is a driveway right next to the divider in the foreground not seen in the photograph. Your car may have been vandalized, too. These are crazy times in the pandemic and postpandemic area. It is a good idea in hindsight to avoid parking spots that could be used or mistaken as a driveway.

It's unlikely that I will ever run into the perpetrator, even though I go there three nights a week.

[​IMG]

#43 Gokhan, Nov 4, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …ouch! Here over on the LeftHand side of t'Pond, I would say that you were the victim of Braille-Parking (particularly down in Boston, a place notorious for having a large number of visually-impaired drivers o_O ). Good luck with the fix, although ChuggyPyg wears her minor scratches and dings like badges of honour! (…not that yours were minor - how about your insurance?)

Oh, BTW - here's a TIP: When parking, chose your spot very carefully. Try to park next to an exotic (Rolls, Bentley, Maserati or Lamborghini) as doing so will serve 2 purposes: (1) no "door-dings" since Roller owners/chauffeurs tend to be more careful when opening doors (2) any would-be thief will tend to go for the glitter of the Bentley rather than your humble Prius! ;)

#44 WilDavis, Nov 4, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    Gokhan likes this.
  5. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Many a time when parking our babies (a Mercedes coupe and an SL) in a remote part of a lot, we'll come back to find a beater almost on the door handle (sigh)! I suspect they may just be setting up for a potential smash and grab, so leave nothing of value visible.

As to parking lot damage, it seems an unavoidable fact of life... but I wonder if the Tesla cameras would capture enough info to track a perpetrator?

Gokhan likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The last body shop just got back to me with his estimate. He visually inspected the car and took a bunch of photos. This is in addition to the already mentioned varying estimates I received from different shops.

Local Bodyshop2: $4,419.67 (parts $435, labor @$55/hr 61.5hr $3382m paint supplies $548, +misc&tax)

A wide range of estimates for the same repair makes me think some are totally off base. Either cutting corners to get the job done cheaply or bloating the job as much as they can to get away charging more than real cost to maximize the profit. I hate hiring any contractor worker including a body shop for this reason. There seem to be no job standards.

Gokhan likes this.
  7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Don't overthink and overspend time on this. Contact the insurance company and have it repaired at the Toyota dealer, paying only the deductible.

pghyndman and Salamander_King like this.
  8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that's exactly what I am doing. But I just happen to have a lot of time to think about this. The dealer body shop I will be using can't take my car in until late Jan. I was just wondering which shop would I have picked if the dealer shop was not in the choice?

Gokhan likes this.
  9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yeah, having it fixed is a pain. In my case, I don't have a second car or rental insurance, which makes it even harder.

Salamander_King likes this.
  10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, insurance is something I hope I never have to use it. But, if I am never going to use it, then why do I have it. That's why if I have to have insurance, then I usually pick the highest coverage I can afford. Fortunately, for me, the policy premium does not change much from lower coverage to highest coverage, so I have the most expensive with maximum coverage on my policy. On my policy, I have the most liability coverage they offer which is 20X more than state-mandated minimum liability coverage. I have no deductible to pay on collision or comprehensive. I also have the max amount of rental coverage.

For the rental coverage, the cost is only $12. That's only a $1 a month difference. A single claim in my lifetime would pay for itself. The dealer body shop where I am taking my car told me it will be 7 days repair. that means it is actually longer than 1 week since they don't count weekends. I will make an arrangement to have the rental shop pick me up at the body shop and also drop it off when I am done.

Gokhan likes this.
  11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Make sure to have the maximum on the uninsured motorist coverage. Hit-and-runs are standard operating procedure these days.

Salamander_King likes this.
  12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I have a maximum in every category. For a mere $38.70 more, I could increase the minimum coverage of $50K/$100K to a maximum coverage of $1Mil/$1Mil for uninsured, underinsured or hit-and-run motorist caused accidents.

#52 Salamander_King, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    Gokhan likes this.
  13. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I called Cabe Toyota in Long Beach, and they are saying that the car will be in the shop for at least a week and a half. Since I don't have rental coverage, it may not be practical for me to have the repair done at a Toyota dealer.

I am thinking perhaps I should buy the lamp and replace it myself ($337.07 with tax) and keep the rest of the $1,101.30 insurance money, which is $764.23. I can try to buff and touch up the painted bumper. I can replace the rubber bumper, which is $175.15 with tax.

#53 Gokhan, Nov 9, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, if you can fix it yourself to your satisfaction. That would be a good choice.

Gokhan likes this.
  15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It is not going to be to my satisfaction unless I replace the painted bumper. It was so sad to discover the car to have gone from not a single scratch to this.

16. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I decided to replace the lamp and black center rubber cover and touch up the chipped paint on the painted cover myself. The cost for parts from Huntington Beach Toyota with dealer discount and Cyber Weekend 10% discount: $450.65, including the lamp ($253.14), center rubber cover ($137.02), touch-up paint ($9.51), tax (7.75%), and TIS instruction manuals from Toyota ($20). Let's see how it goes. I got $1,101.30 from the insurance company; so, this leaves me with $650.65. I think it's going to look like minor cosmetic flaws if all goes well. The white paint came off when I polished it, leaving the black chips and some scratch marks. I don't have rental insurance and I have to pay the deductible if I have it repaired, sum of which would be close to $1,000.

road2cycle and E-GINO like this.
  17. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When you get to removing the lamp, take your time and double triple check the one hidden clip that attaches the lamp to the bumper. I did it without the manual and that (one clip ) was the tricky part. The rest is just getting all the screws pins bolts undercovers back in the way they came out and the bumper cover lined up with the quaterpanels and all buttoned up nice a snug.
    Get some youtube tips on howto touchup paint, some of them are really good. And test your paint on the inside of the bumper cover to see how well it matches. It doesn't take much.

Gokhan likes this.
  18. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks! Yes, there is a clip mentioned in the instructions, and now, I'll be extra careful.

Was the job straightforward otherwise? Any other difficulties?

I hope unplugging the parking-sensor harness won't throw a code for recalibration.

19. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've got the Plus so no sensors to worry about here. I'm not sure I have printouts for the bumper but I'll take a look though what I have.
    I'll mention you don't have to separate the lower from the upper bumper cover, My estimate got the two parts mixed up 2 years ago, which kinda through a monkey wrench into my disassembly sequence. But if the sensors are down at the bottom, once you get the undercovers off, sneak under there and take a look before starting the full cover removal.
    I'd be in the same situation is I had to deal with sensors back there. And I don't like having to disconnect the 12volt unless absolutely necessary, which is why I want techstream professional and a mongoose, (one of these days).
    edit: My most recent estimate from the dealer also has some mistakes. Sometimes just getting lucky at having paperwork all match up would be nice. (last month a deer rammed my driver door, butt swung around denting the front fender than his/her body slide along the driver side and dented the rear door too. as best as I can figure what happened, it was ptich black and I only saw the deer for a split second as it hit the driver door. Than it was gone before I knew it, I'm still wondering where my rearview mirror glass went. cause that's the only part I haven't found). mirror glass $110 +shipping. Fuill estimate was $3800.00 an change.

#59 vvillovv, Nov 28, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    Gokhan likes this.
  20. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, I have the instructions, and it's clear that you don't have to remove the black rubber piece. However, I will replace it with a new one, as it is scratched.

The instructions don't mention disconnecting the 12 V battery; so, I won't do it.

Hopefully, disconnecting the wire harness for the parking sensors won't require recalibration. I would think recalibration shouldn't be necessary, as I will not be removing the sensors and retainers; so, neither the sensor angles nor the sensor ID's is changing.