1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Victim of a hit and run—again

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Gokhan, Oct 28, 2021.

1. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yeah, one never knows. the instructions should tell you about possible re calibration. Keep in mind the sensors have to see though the bumper somehow, and I'm thinking like the camera has to see through the windsheild and when the windshield is replaced, even though the camera behind it hasn't been touched, the front facing camera still need to be recalibrated. Check what it say about the sensors you have to unplug.

Gokhan likes this.
  2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The parking sensors need to be calibrated if they are removed/reinstalled or replaced. The instructions don't say anything other than that; so, we'll see. Again, if they are not removed/reinstalled or replaced, nothing (like the angle or precise sensor specifics) changes, and the calibration should be good. The windshield is a different issue.

vvillovv likes this.
  3. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I got the combination turn signal/backup lamp and found out that it doesn't come with the backup lamp socket and 921 miniature bulb. Then, I looked and saw that my old bulb was smashed. I was able to remove what was remaining with needle-nose pliers and the socket seemed OK. I was surprised that the fuse didn't below because the smashed bulb's internal contact wires could have touched together. Imagine removing the bumper cover and realizing that you can't complete the job because you don't have a 921 miniature bulb. I wonder if you can replace the bulb without removing the bumper cover. Those 921 miniature bulbs certainly don't last forever (12.8 V, 1.4 A, 21 candlepower (260 lumens), 500 hours rated).

vvillovv likes this.
  4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Next time one of us gets techstream we'll have to look up the HowTo change backup light blub 921
    Hope you got to that part of the job when a dealer who had one in stock was open,

2 weeks ago just after switching to snows, I had the jack in position under the car to change the oil, when I realized I didn't have an oil filter element. It was either Sunday or after 6pm and getting colder by the minute. tell me about it! ;)

#64 vvillovv, Dec 11, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    Gokhan likes this.
  5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I haven't started it yet. I noticed the missing socket and bulb when I looked at the new combination lamp.

It is a standard 921 bulb. It looks like Toyota uses both Koito Japan and Sylvania. It is fine as long as you don't use the blue-tinted silver-star bulbs, orange-colored natural amber bulbs, or LED-equivalent bulbs, none of which will have the correct color or color temperature. Otherwise, any regular, standard 921 clear-glass tungsten-filament incandescent bulb will do. I'll pick one from the dealer, but you can get them everywhere.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#65 Gokhan, Dec 12, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  6. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have replaced the left rear turn signal/back-up lamp and black bumper guard. No issues with the parking sensors—they work the same as before—but note that none were removed from the bumper cover. The lamp is working fine. The 921 bulb Toyota sold me was a Sylvania bulb made in Slovakia. You can get Sylvania bulbs at auto stores and Walmart; so, no need to go to Toyota for them. The smashed factory bulb was a Toshiba.

The instructions I downloaded from Toyota Tech Info were incomplete and wrong. They don't do a good job in writing these repair manuals.

Note that there are more bumper clips than the manual says. Make sure to remove them all. The hardest part was peeling of the side of the bumper from the retainer—it is very tight and I cut my finger. Also, the bottom part of the retainer breaks if you don't separate the mudguard carefully. The second hardest part is aligning the bottom of the bumper when reinstalling it. Take pictures before you remove it to see where every tab goes. Last but not least, the bumper scratches very easily, especially the black piece, and you would need to use some bed sheet or other very soft material to put it on. There were two foam spacers on the black bumper, which I reused by removing them with a razor blade and then using glue. Original ones come with double-sided tape.

#66 Gokhan, Dec 17, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Live and learn! Even professional auto body mechanics get so of the reassembly wRong. And I had issue lining up the bumpercover spot on too. The bumper cover is close enough for now on my car, but it really needs to be realigned to get the driver side quarter panel clips completely secured.

Gokhan likes this.
  8. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    OK, that means it is definitely installed incorrectly. There shouldn't be any issues with alignment if all tabs go into where they are supposed to go. Some of your tabs are in the wrong places.

That said, I broke the bottom part of both retainers, probably because I didn't fully detach the mudguards when I was peeling off the bumper cover. Losing the bottommost claw isn't causing any problems, as there are four more claws, and I won't bother replacing these little pieces of plastic strips they sell for $75 each, plus another two hours of my time. It is unbelievable how much money auto OEMs make from parts.

road2cycle likes this.
  9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Getting all 5 underbody panels back in after cleaning them out wasn't too bad. But I still have to double check which end is which when I'm doing something upside down and backwards. And the pin and bolt count wasn't all that complicated. but that didn't stop me from mixing 2 bolt locations on one side. I'm still wondering how I got it right on the first side and wrong on the other side :notworthy:

Gokhan likes this.
  10. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I finished the job. It cost less than $500 (for parts and supplies—lamp, 921 bulb, bumper guard, touch-up paint, clearcoat, and some supplies), which saved me $1,100 over if I had it repaired over a shop (what I pocketed from the insurance company after the $500 deductible), plus the cost of rental car for three weeks, which would be another $1,000 or so. It's not perfect of course, because touch-up paints don't perfectly match and there is a little crack, but it looks alright, I think.

Before and after pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#70 Gokhan, Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  11. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks great to me. I would not notice it if you did not tell me about the accident. If I had a choice, I would have done it DIY. I am scheduled to take my car to a body shop in a few weeks, but if I had a choice to DIY repair it under $500, I probably did that without claiming the insurance. Now, you have ~$1000 net gain from your insurance proceeds, so when you sell your car and if the car is valued less due to accident claim, as long as it is less than $1000, you break even.

Gokhan likes this.
  12. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    From a distance, it's hard to tell. The crack is the most notable part. One sales manager told me that they don't care about bumpers for trade-in valuation because they're "plastic" and routinely touched up before resale.

Salamander_King likes this.
  13. road2cycle

road2cycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Nice job getting the rear end fixed up. It looks great.

14. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Now that you mentioned it I can see the little bumps where the most damage was done in the first pic. I wouldn't have noticed it on first glance and if you hadn't mention it above though.

15. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Someone mentioned what I was thinking - when you go thru insurance you will most definitley find an entry of "damage reported" on the Carfax. That means that certain companies who have been paying top dollar for used vehicles lately will not purchase it (i.e. Carvava) and private buyers will often use it as a negotiating chip to get your price down. Of course, if you plan on keeping the vehicle forever, then it doesn't matter.

I really really don't like the way the insurance game is so rigged. Spend our whole lives paying into it, and we get punished for using it when it's not even our fault.

I have no idea if anything will be on OP's Carfax one day, lets hope not.

nancytheprius and Gokhan like this.
  16. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Today, I was on the inner one of two left-turn lanes—not the same ones in my original post—and some angry woman in a van who was in road rage against some other driver almost destroyed my blue jewel. She got mad at the other driver and suddenly and violently swerved into my lane. I was lucky because I was able to instantly brake and/or wasn't any closer to her. It was a close call. Despite almost crashing into me, she kept shouting at and fighting with the other driver.

I don't know what is wrong with these people with anger issues. :eek: Did they have a bad childhood or what? Perhaps I should invest in a dashcam. :confused:

WilDavis likes this.
  17. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Most definitely, front & rear cameras. Had a guy tell me he was sorry for causing the accident. When the cops came to do the accident report, he tired to blame it on me. Luckily the witness, straighten out the police report.

Install dash-cams on all my cars now.

Sarge and Gokhan like this.