1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Video: 2016 Prius Pre-Collision System w/ Pedestrian Detection - DEMO

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Video of one of the safety features available as part of the Toyota Safety Sense package that is optional on the 2016 Prius Three & Four, and standard on the Prius Three Touring & Four Touring.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do you have anything about the area covered?

I'm particularly interested in detecting pedestrians in a cross-walk while making a turn. This was what passed the "Bell the Hybrid" act.

Also interested in the rear view area, especially close to the bumper.

Bob Wilson

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I do not (wasn't provided), but I can ask my contacts.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You' all remember Betsy Benjaminson? Betsy Benjaminson

About 2010, she was translating some Toyota documents and decided they had to be released to the public. Her justification was (is) they show Toyota is being dishonest about 'runaway acceleration.' As recently a November 9, she is still pursuing her claims that there is a massive cover-up.

As for run-away acceleration, I am sure the vast majority are drivers who tried to brake but hit the accelerator instead. The accident data extracted from the air-bag computer shows the same results. Yet Betsy persists in her claims in spite of how many are first-time drivers, impaired, or elderly. Yet October 24, there was another: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/25/us/3-killed-as-car-plows-into-crowd-at-oklahoma-state-university.html. This was a Hyundai Elantra. Then there was the "Bell the Hybrid" nonsense claiming our quiet Prius are sneaking up and killing people.

I suspect the automatic braking for pedestrians and accidents down to a full stop is a by-product of those earlier dust-ups. We've also seen the IIS build up a full test site to evaluate these systems. This Toyota braking system looks to come in at the top of the ratings. But I suspect "A" pillar blind spots on either side of the windshields plays an important yet under reported role.

I am sorry to see it won't be in the Eco model, a favorite of the fixed-income elderly. At 66, I'm entering the age window and have no problem with automating as many driving tasks as possible. Fortunately, my lead-footed, cougar wife no longer drives (which has probably extended my life!)

Bob Wilson

ps. Twenty minutes later, I came across this: Did GM Get a Pass from Federal Prosecutors? - WSJ

Recall that a tragic San Diego accident, clearly blamed on a dealer’s improper use of wrongly fitted, aftermarket floor mats in a loaner Lexus, was used by trial lawyers, congressmen and Obamaofficials to promote a media furor over an imaginary electronic bug that caused Toyotas to accelerate out of control.

Recall that Toyota sought to quell the furor by recalling 8.1 million cars to fix items (standard floor mats and an occasionally sticky gas pedal) associated with none of the U.S. incidents of unintended acceleration, which the government later concluded were likely caused by the common mistake of stepping on the gas instead of the brake. Yet these non-defect defects were the ones the government later accused Toyota of concealing, laying on a bigger fine than GM’s.

#4 bwilson4web, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    bisco likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What happens IF you hit the accelerator when it says BRAKE?

Bob Wilson

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It overrides the system. In the words of Jeff Cobb, my co-driver from HybridCars.com, "Oh good, so we can still commit vehicular manslaughter if we want."

Obviously tongue in cheek, but the system does default to what the driver inputs.

It actually braked for me at a stop light. I was looking at the directions sheet that they give the press with the pre-set routes on it and my eye caught the brake lights turning off ahead of me, I started to accelerate a little, but the car ahead of me hadn't actually moved so the pre-collision system alerted me and hit the brakes for me. Hopefully it'll help with little fender-benders that we see from situations like that, as well.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this will be a huge benefit for gen x'ers reading texts while driving and sitting in traffic. or should i say 'for the people in front of them'.

i looked up 'crazy' in webster's, her pic was there.

#7 bisco, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015