1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Video input to MFD

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Mike N, May 22, 2004.

1. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Have you tried "powerstrip"?

Have you seen this:

http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm

It allows you to set all kinds of cutoms parameters for your display.

I use it to drive my HTPC and TV set.

Peter
    miami, fl usa

2. brosnan

brosnan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yup - that's what I used to try to set interlaced mode. Also tried adjusting everything it seemed to let me. Some things seem frozen - anyone know how to set arbitrary resolution values? Like instead of 640x480, what if I wanted 713x500 (just an example). Or more importantly, how do I make the horizontal scan time increase from 31.75us to 63.5us? That's the time used by the real Nav ECU video.

Photo below shows the settings I used for the prior messed-up image (other than the interlaced check-box: I tried both settings).

3. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

holy crap man! :eek:

4. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the link. I have a Radeon 9800XT 256mb video card which the latest driver update supplied an improved control panel. Although not related to the Prius ... I'm tempted to install the PowerStrip but wonder if there might be a conflict between the two?

5. brosnan

brosnan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    DanMan32:
    Thanks for the tip. I confirmed with a 'scope that the Horizontal Sync signal is just that - with no vertical blanking interval. Then tried your technique. It helped in that the vertical alignment became correct. The top line of the screen was trying to show the top line of the PC video and the whole screen seemed to fit. But there was a dark band in the middle of the screen and it was still fairly unreadable and scrambled.

Switching to another PC allowed me to enable the interleaved mode, which I confirmed made the horizontal scan lines match the 63.5us of the normal video. This made the picture stable, but it was still messed up - just little bits and pieces of what should be there.

That doesn't seem to help either.

Perhaps I need to study all the timing parameters of the sync line and get powerstrip to match as many as possible (and use the capacitor trick).

6. mushin

mushin New Member

my friend is considering a Prius purchase, and I was looking around to see if the Prius community has figured out how to interface with the LCD when I came across this thread. I think I may be able to offer some help with your current situation.

Another of my friends has an RX8, which also has a RGBS LCD. The sync on these screens are composite sync, unlike the H and V sync on the standard DB15 VGA out. He was able to find a relatively simple RGB H/V sync -> RGB composite sync circuit. I don't have it available at the moment, but this sounds like what you may need to fix the sync issue.

Sorry if this was already solved in another thread on your forum, I didn't see any and the last post was fairly recent so I thought I'd chip in.

7. brosnan

brosnan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    mushin - Thanks for the info. If you can find out what the circuit is (or where it came from) some of us here would be interested. As far as I know it's not solved yet for Prius.

8. mushin

mushin New Member

9. brosnan

brosnan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks - I'll try it!

10. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hello from old europe;
    thank you brosnan for sharing your very interesting experience.
    I found something very interesting about the reverse camera: 08634-00120 .
    I will order one from japanparts.com and let you know.
    I already ordered from them :
    NTSC to RGB converter :08635-28020
    cable : 08635-00010
    adapters: 82998-12340 and 82998-12420
    I do not want to cut the N3 harness ; so I will try to build the mating part with a kind of plastic used by dental surgeons, moulding around the N3 connector with the wires in place.
    Regarding the automatic switch, I will use 2*4066 in a small box on a small board. It would be more elegant to use the switches from PERICOM ; but
    1) how to buy them.
    2) these products are really tiny and need special equipment for soldering.
    I hope my project will be operational in 2 weeks. :roll:

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's a little drastic... I make no guarantees, but try part number
    90980-11922 first. It's likely that this is the exact opposite of the N3 connector. It takes pins with part number 82998–12670.

These are quite expensive and all the same color; it is likely (I don't promise) that part number 08695-00370 contains 12 individually colored pins that are exactly the same as 82998-12670. The price of this adapter is much cheaper than individual pins.

Again, I am not certain, but it's worth a shot. Let us know if this is correct.

Nate

12. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    to nate
    forget about 08695-00370 .
    it is just a lonely expensive cord for airbag (anyway in old europe)!!!
    I paid to know about that one.

but what is working is:

1) use 08635-00010.
    2) prepare it the right way.
    3) use epoxy glue or whatever you manage.

result:
    you do not have to cut the N3 harness , because you can put whatever you feel like in between.
    I took some pictures but I have no idea about the way to put them online.

13. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on Brosnan's observation that the PCB has many unloaded components, I would guess we could order another PCB with more options (Japanese part numbers?). This should plug into the same cable going to the other PCB in the nav unit (white cable).
    What is the part number on the US version PCB?

14. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I really doubt you could get just the PCB, unless you could find who builds, or better, repairs the NAV unit.

15. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Strange about that part number 08695-00370. It's a well known part number in the USA for an audio adapter cable. (I own two of them, one is in use). Weird that it is another part in Europe; I hope it didn't cost you too much. :-(

08635-00010 does not appear to have the correct connector for the USA to connect to N3. It does look like it could be used to daisy chain the RGB adapter to the USA AVC-LAN. Perhaps I am the next guinea pig for this. Careful analysis of the Land Cruiser diagram shows the box going directly between the MID and the NAV unit; with a slight wiring change for the TX wires for the AVC-LAN. Perhaps wiring this way will allow the module to be fully recognized. It's about time to order up.

Nate

16. brosnan

brosnan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I ended up using the 08635-00010 plus a home-made connector similar to what frenchie describes. Hopefully it is temporary and we can eventually purchase connectors equivalent to what is on the PCB inside the nav unit.

You can see a good view of the -00010 at:
    http://www.geocities.co.jp/MotorCity-Circu...86/tcc/tcc.html
    Cut off the bigger connector. The smaller connector fits into the nav N3 socket. I held the -00010 in a vise, stuck 10 copper wires into it, globbed the wires with hot melt glue (taking care to avoid contact with the connector) and let it harden. Then I used that homemade connector to plug into the cable going to the MFD. Then I wired the glued up cable to the video switcher and adaptor. The copper on tin connections will probably fail after a few months/years but so far so good.

My guess is that if anyone will sell you a PCB that goes in the nav ECU it will cost several thousand dollars. Our best bet is to eventually stumble across the connector manufacturer and hope this part isn't exclusively for Toyota. After much help scouting around Tokyo and the web it's clear this connector will not be easy to track down.

17. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    attn brian & others.
    you do not have to cut connectors;
    it is easy to remove the pins from connectors (when you knnow of course).
    just have a look there : http://www.priuscar.com/prius_wire_color_codes.htm

I use a thin screwdriver specially "doctored" for this purpose & it works perfectly. see attached picture.
    also I use EPOXY GLUE to make a new connector.
    first I put some oil on the female connector 2) I protect with tape so the glue will not flow at the wrong place. 3) i put tape around the new connector 4) I put the glue.
    et voila.

18. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Did 90980-11922 not work as a direct plug in to N3? It should be...

Nate

19. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    to nate
    I ordered 90980-11922 , but I am not sure if I will get it...
    I used 08635-00010 for N3 on the Nav unit , keeping the small connector and making a male-female harness that I can cut to insert a RGB converter.

I ordered 2 other 08635-00010 to make tests ,(another 8 days to wait).
    :mrgreen: I will try to link the N3 connector from Nav Unit to the white connector of 08635-28020 , I think that 08635-28020 has a RGB bypass/switch mode .
    in fact this white plug
    1) is there for some reason and the best one I can think of is to receive the RGBS and avc-lan signals from a nav-unit.
    2) this plug is the same as the big one of 08635-00010,
    so I will do some experimentation...

20. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Keep us posted on the connector. It's on my list of stuff to order, it should be only a few dollars.

Nate