1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

video inputs?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by dawhits1, Nov 9, 2006.

1. dawhits1

dawhits1 New Member

I have an 07 prius without the navigation system. Is there any way I could connect a video source to the screen? Possibly my laptop through s-video or composite or my ps2? thanks, Erik

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There's no simple way to do so... It's possible to tap into the input for the rear view camera, however thats fairly difficult (i'm not sure if anyone's done it on the new MFD introduced in '06 or not... but have seen it done on '05's)

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  4. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Darrell took my info on the "Anytime Backup Camera" mod, and posted it on his website here:
    http://evnut.com/prius_mfd_video.htm
    If you scroll the whole way to the bottom, he copied-and-pasted an email I wrote him, explaining how to tap into the camera video line. I now also use this mod for my Garmin GVN 52 Nav system, VERY sweet! B)

5. MPG > HP

MPG > HP Junior Member

Won't these types of mods (tapping into video circuits) void any MFD warrantees and/or service agreements? Would those denials extend to any electronics covered under an original or extended warrantee? Knowing that only mods that can be shown to have negatively affected OEM systems are cause to deny coverage, won't it be fairly easy for dealers to deny a claim - or - is it always up to dealers to "prove" that your mods are significant enough to void coverage? Anyone have experience with dealers denying warrantee claims based on the "coverage voided by mods" argument? TIA

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    it's always up to the dealers to prove your mod caused the harm.

To date, no one on the site has posted warranty problems due to these types of mods (although i believe someone did have to argue about a suspension-related mod to get the dealer to cover it)

7. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MPG > HP @ Nov 9 2006, 10:41 PM) [snapback]346687[/snapback]</div>
    If you are that worried that your warranty will be voided, DON'T MOD YOUR CAR! Its that simple. I, for one though, am willing to take a chance, because I think a dealer would be hard pressed in court to prove that somehow *my* NTSC composite video signal damaged the MFD, when the backup camera's NTSC composite video could not. :rolleyes:

8. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ok, your post re: the GVN 52 has me so excited I became a member of Prius Chat. How hard is it to install this. Do I need to buy an antenna too? What else do I need to do this? I was once a mechanic and am great with electrical. I just don't wanna buy the unit only to find out later there's no sound, and I need a $400 accessory to get it, etc. etc.

9. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    when you have a 2005 without the backup camera
    can someone still tell me where the red wire go's into the back off the MFD
    the red wire is the wire normally from the backup camera.