1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Video: Prius Prime Full Walkaround Demonstration

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Danny, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Prime appears to lose as much cargo space as the C-Max Energi in volume. The space it has is likely more useful than the C-Max's for more people, being a long hatch space as opposed to tall. It also has 4 more miles of Ev range at least, and much better fuel economy in hybrid mode.

But the C-Max keeps the fifth seat, and it is an older model using batteries and controls a generation or so behind what the Prime could have. On top of that, the C-Max isn't even a ground up hybrid design, but an ICE model conversion.

2. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I mentioned this mistake by Toyota in another thread. Truly an amazing oversight if true. People will put heavy stuff back there, and now, since the path to the front seats is downhill if the rear seats are folded down, will only increase the chances of something smacking into the front passengers if there's an emergency stop.

In my current 2010 I sometimes carry a gas can to the gas station to fill it up for the lawn mower, held down with four bungee cords connected to the D-rings in each corner. I can't even imaging what might happen if 2.5 gallons of gas pours down into those batteries, much less gets launched forward in an emergency stop. Also, sometimes heavy and pointy luggage. Eeek!

I plan to have D-rings added to my Prime after I get it in early 2017. I would almost bet there's going to be a recall to add those if some bad accident is given some press.

Does anyone know if the Prius Eco 2 have the D-rings in the back? If so, then Toyota apparently seems to know they are a safety feature.

#22 DavidA, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota Of Orange has a selection of Prius Prime's. I have seen them giving test drives to customers. Drove down the street by someone who apparently just bought one!! Wanted to take a picture but didn't want the guy think I was a wacko. To me, the car is beautiful!!

4. CraigCSJ

CraigCSJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for response, and I look forward to hearing answer to 1 above.

Regarding control in neutral, a document titled "Toyota Prius Vehicle Throttle and Brake Systems : Myth v Fact" found at pressroom.toyota.com says that putting a Prius in neutral allows use of power steering and brake systems. I have coasted in neutral on a slight decline for over a mile and experienced no noticible change in steering or braking other than there being no regeneration shown and the brakes used are the mechanical pads found in normal cars. The hill near my home that starts the ice is probably 1/8 mile, then flattens and in neutral the brakes and steering seem normal.

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    By loss of control I guess I meant more like "not being able to accelerate if needed". Sorry, I should have been more clear.