1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vin # and Car thieves

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ctbering, Nov 18, 2008.

1. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just another car stealing scam:
    Thieves can steal cars with a VIN number. A car thief can write down a VIN #
    and call the parts department of a dealership of the car manufacturer. The Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the
    VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car.
    He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw
    attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert
    the key and drive off to the local Chop Shop with your vehicle.
    It is illegal to remove the VIN tag but it is not illegal cover the numbers, as long as the tag remains.

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not new and not a high risk.

snopes.com: VIN Car Thieves

This scam wouldn't work for the Prius as the ECU has to be programmed to recognize the replacement fob.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe it applies to older cars without an electronic engine immobiliser or coded key. You need an original key or the vehicle to have the key programmed. The dealer won't have the codes for your car. This is the reason why they say keep one as a spare. If you lose both master keys (the valet may or may not work), you'll have to reprogram the both the car's computer and the keys and that's a pricey job.

4. atikovi

atikovi Junior Member

I don't know any parts department around here that would make a key without you first showing them a registration card or title.

5. lesturner

lesturner Taming the Dragon - Tennessee

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A valet key is mentioned in this thread... Is there such a key? I only received the two SKS fobs from the dealer. What are the 'limitations' of a valet key and how would I get one? (if available)

6. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are two types of keys, the Smart key enabled one (unlocks the doors and doesn't require insertion into the dash to start the car), and the regular fob.

7. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Car thieves have stolen cars using smart keys by copying the VIN #. I think members are naive not to apply Murphy's Law to the thieves specialty of deceiving honest people in multiple ways. They steal cars using any means possible and we are not always vigilant protecting our cars, even Prius.
    If you work in a job that has strict rules or policies that prohibit mistakes from happening on a particular procedure then find out the employee either 'forgot' the policy or it was ignored because the employee didn't remember signing off that they read the policy.......believe me, in the real world sh_t happens and thieves are there to take advantage of every gap that opens in the proverbial crack in the system.
    Many of us pride ourselves at being good at what we do. Theives are no different than the general population....except, what we do is constructive, and what they do, is treat us like we are only there for their financial benefit,
    regardless of how we are victimized by their actions.

8. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Okay, but does a new owner get 2 fobs or 3?

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Two fobs are delivered with the car.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your concern, but it's impossible to drive away a Prius without a correct fob (unless it's just towed away on a flatbed, in which case the thief doesn't need any stinking keys). And you can't make a correct fob without access to the car in the first place.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It can't be done. The Smart Key System simply doesn't work that way. The car is programmed to the key, not the other way around. So you could, if you wanted to, haul away a Prius on a flatbed truck, and then reprogram the ECU to work with your existing Smart Key.

Tom