1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VIN not showing the rigth model !?!

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by Me_, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Me_

Me_ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    according to my insurance, I have a model 2 Eco while in my driveway I have a model 3 touring. Wth!?!

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What does the window sticker/purchase paperwork show?

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, take the window label ('Monroney' sticker) and show it to the insurance agent. Then it will be their job to figure why their database is not showing the right trim level.

But first, make sure the VIN on the sticker matches that of your actual car.

Elektroingenieur and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Your insurance company may have assumed that the trim level can be determined from the VIN, which is true for some vehicles, but not for fourth-generation Prius cars.

Toyota’s Vehicle Identification Number decoder for 2018, a document available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com, and perhaps also in the NHTSA Manufacturer Information Database, shows nothing in the VIN itself that distinguishes among trim levels, only between the two types of hybrid vehicle batteries. Cars with Li-ion batteries (Two Eco, Three, Three Touring, Four, Four Touring) have VINs that begin with JTDKARFU, and cars with NiMH batteries (One, Two) have VINs that begin with JDTKBRFU. The remaining characters are for the check digit, model year, plant code, and serial number.

To know the trim level, it’s necessary to rely on some other reference, like the Monroney label, as @fuzzy1 kindly suggests, or an external database, like Toyota’s Vehicle Specification page. I agree that the first step should be to check the VIN shown on the certification label and under the windshield glass.

Chazz8 likes this.