1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VIN not showing?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by spam.nathanandsusan, Mar 28, 2012.

1. spam.nathanandsusan

spam.nathanandsusan New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I'm in LA and my PIP arrived in Long Beach on Sunday. I have asked for the VIN on several occasions and the dealer (Pasadena) says that the VIN is not showing yet. I have been an active lurker on Prius Chat since I placed my order, and I seen other people get VIN numbers as soon as the car is first built.

The dealer sent me the [FONT=&quot] VEHICLE INQUIRY REPORT today, but says it does not show the VIN.

Any ideas where he might be able to find it?

THanks, Nathan
    [/FONT]

2. jbrad4

jbrad4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The VIN is assigned at the port when your vehicle is processed. Make sure you are talking to to the person at the dealership who has access to the Toyota order system database. There is usually only one person at the dealership who has access. When your VIN is assigned, it will be in the Toyota order database.

3. spam.nathanandsusan

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    The dealer sent me the Vehicle Status Report. Is that the same thing as the order database?

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    When mine finally popped up at my dealer he logged into dealer daily and found it in there under one of his tabs or something. Why do you want to VIN early, for insurance? As long as you get it say the day before you get the car you're fine...

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nathan, what's the hurry on the VIN? Are you looking for the service history? Do you suspect the dealer may try to sell the car out from under you? It can't be for insurance because that is easily done over the phone in the dealer's office on delivery.

6. ClaySacramento

ClaySacramento Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My dealer provided me with the VIN a couple of days after my car was built (before it even was even on the cargo ship) and I found it helpful when calling various insurance companies to get pricing quotes. Also, I used the VIN to start my 3 year Entune trial a day before I picked up the car so that it was all ready to go when I arrived at the dealership - this was not necessary, but it was fun to play with Pandora and the other Entune apps while waiting for the dealer to finish up the paperwork.

7. spam.nathanandsusan

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Someone cancelled, so I actually got to pickup someone who had the same color this afternoon. Unfortunately it did not come with the moulding, but I'd rather have it now.

8. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    To get the VIN early is to make sure the dealer will not sell you car to the highest bidder and you have to wait for the next one.

9. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What dealership? You can always get the moulding later. That's awesome you got a PiP sooner than expected.

Congrats and enjoy your car!

10. CapnRon

CapnRon Toyota Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Does your Entune App show the extra features for the PIP Advanced? Mine doesn't. Any ideas, anyone?

(those extras are Charge Management, Remote Vehicle Finder, and Remote Climate)

My Toyota dealer has no idea. I assumed these features would be VIN based.

11. CapnRon

CapnRon Toyota Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ah, well, nevermind. I found it. It's on the toyota entune site. You must update, activate, whatever your PIP Advanced settings. You will need your Safety Connect Contract ID to do that.

12. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You have to activate the PlugIn apps online on a Web site, and then hook the phone to the car using Bluetooth or USB, and the app on the phone will be updated to include the PlugIn apps.

13. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Has the following been done?

1. Dealer signs you up for Safety Connect (3 year complimentary trial).
    2. Get your Safety Connect contract ID. If you don't have this, you can call (800) 331-4331 and provide them your VIN.
    3. Go to www.myentune.com and setup:
      1. Log in (presumably you've registered if you have Entune Apps working).
      2. Click Settings.
      3. Click Plug-in Hybrid Settings.
      4. Follow the instructions.

14. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Is it there a way to track down or geographically locate my PiP with a SmartPhone (iPhone) app with the the appropriate VIN number?
    I think my delivery dealer is playing games..:mad:............

15. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  16. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't think so. In order for this to work, you have to link your Safety Connect account using the contract ID to MyEntune. You can only do that if the dealer has signed you up for Safety Connect.

Furthermore, if the vehicle is owned by someone else, you shouldn't be able to track it for privacy and security reasons. Even if you could, there are ethical considerations with tracking someone else's vehicle.

I think PRPrius already purchased the vehicle and was signed up for Safety Connect. He just had not taken delivery yet b/c it was being trucked to him and was tracking his vehicle as it was being trucked.

17. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Unfortunately I didn't ordered an Advance model, so seems that I'm stuck with the inability of a locator finder for it.
    I tried the iPhone store for any suitable app but not to avail for my immediately need.