1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vinyl Paint Protector

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Edward Walsh, Jun 30, 2009.

1. RadioZero

RadioZero Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i ordered the 3M version off ebay, it should arrive today or tomorrow. i will take some pics and post up. i plan to do the install this sunday.

2 people like this.
  2. RadioZero

RadioZero Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did the install today. Product came in as described by the ebay seller cleardefender. it is 3M film with very nice pre-cut pieces. this kit is the "premier" package and i did the "buy it now" for $250 (i assume we can post prices on stuff like this).

it has the larger hood pc, larger side quarter panel pcs, full bumper and side mirrors.

started at 9am finished at 3pm. this included an hour for lunch and hour of cussing/whining. so plan on at least a half day, it's best to have a someone help that can hold/spray/help when needed.

the hood and fenders were really easy, the logo piece took more work and the big bumper piece was a total PITA!. the lower piece where the bottom grill is located is a 2 pc section and took me a minute to figure out how it went on but it went on fairly easy. i didn't bother with the side mirrors, i was tired and said screw it.

the kit came with a CD video that gave very good "how to" instructions. if you have a garage/time/knowledge of what you are about to attempt then i would say you can do it yourself. if you think this is a simple "stick it on in an hour" kind of process then i do NOT recommend that you "DIY". there is ALOT of attention to detail required to do this install properly. DO NOT install and walk away, you will have to do a couple of walk arounds after you finish to make sure all edges are sticking.

here's a link to the pics:

Collection: 2010 Prius

5 people like this.
  3. Edward Walsh

Edward Walsh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

HI Radio Zero:

Thanks for the pictures!! In other words a job like this is not for the faint of heart or those with no patience :p A couple of questions regarding the install: noticed as per your pictures of the 'gap' in the install. What happened there? Did it come like this? The ones I have seen on other websites are a complete one piece with no joins. If you had your time back would you still do this or get someone else? As regards to the Window Tinting........was that a DIY job as well? Nice touch with the blue window as well. Why did you do the Front Windshield? Also, why ceramic? Maybe I missed it in another post and if I did I am sorry for asking.

Await your reply. Again.......nice overall job!!

Thanks,

Edward
    Marystown, Newfoundland
    Canada

4. RadioZero

RadioZero Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    the gap in the lower grill piece is very small (3/8") and i am sure if a "pro" had done the install it would be less noticable. but honestly, you only notice it if you're on your knees staring at it.

i am very pleased with the overall coverage of the kit. as far as DIY? i would do it again. like i said, the hood piece and the fender pieces are super easy. it's the bumper piece that's a butt kicker.

window tint, that's a professisonal job. we live in Florida so tinting is a necessity. the ceramic film is the newer stuff. it supposedly doesn't block signals like the metalized films. ie: radar detectors, smart keys, cell phones signals. the windshield tint is vitrually clear but has a slight blue tint. it rejects 40-50% of the heat. the side glass blocks 50% of the light and rejects 35% of the heat.

thanks for the thanks.

1 person likes this.
  5. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was offered two options by the dealership: full coverage which included the hood, mirrors, & door handles, or a reduced option to cover just the hood. I don't recall any mention of the front bumper or fenders.

6. clearbraj

clearbraj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are numerous patterns for this vehicle from Full coverage - full hood and fenders - either wrapped or not, various hood coverages both wrapped and unwrapped, full bumper wrapped or unwrapped, trunk ledge, A pillars/rood section to rockers, lights and inside door cups and door edge guards.

FYI - Darker the vehicle more time to install to insure awesome installation.

The premier patterns are XPel and Proform - best fitment, least parts (less edges).

Hope this helps.
    Joe Altman
    Automotive Candystore - Motoring Lifestyle & Tailgating Store
    Certified Clear Bra (Paint Protection)& Headlight/Taillight Protection Installation Facility
    www.automotivecandystore.com
    www.clearshieldprotection.com
    3M Certified Headlight Lens Restoration Facility
    Stuart, Florida

7. Morgank6

Morgank6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm wondering what the difference is between the $225 3M "deluxe" kit on ebay, and the $59.99 "Mega Kit" Clear Bra . Will I be able to tell much of a difference doing the install myself? I'm considering trying to do the $60 one myself, but if I'm going to spend $225 on the kit, I might as well just get the full install done. Has anyone installed the cheap one before? or know about the difference in quality between the 2? Thanks!

-Morgan

8. RickFlashman

RickFlashman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've decided to go with a professional to install the Xpel Full Bumper, Full Hood, Fenders and Mirror Kit. Using a local installer (PhantomShield Advanced Automobile Paint Protection) to install it. The total is going to be $970. Believe it or not, that's the lowest quote after contacting 6 different professional installers. Appointment is for Saturday morning at their location across from the Winter Park Village in Winter Park. Anyone curious to see how it comes out, let me know and plan on coming over when done at noon.

1 person likes this.
  9. clearbraj

clearbraj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First off Morgan you have stated it correctly - CHEAP kit. You are not comparing apples to apples in the terms of materials.

There is a huge difference! First off – if it is too good to be true it is!!.

1. The main difference is the film material – the $60 kit is .67mil vinyl and $225 kit is 8 mil urethane film with a clearcoat top coat (same as your clearcoat paint).

2. Vinyls do not meet nor are tested to the gravelometer testing http://www.ptli.com/testlopedia/tests/Gravelometer.asp (ASTM D3170 testing to confirm the films ability to protect your vehicle from chipping. (side note: most race cars are wrapped rather than painted ( easier to install/less expensive) and than I apply paint protection film to the wrap – you get the picture) Also one 6 mil the PPF is 8 mil.

3. Did you read the $60 kit disclaimers and the warranty “….By not properly following directions you may cause damage to your paint. Clear bra effectiveness will vary depending on level of installation, weather, temperature, and factors beyond our control. It is not recommended to use this product on any type of plastic, PE, or vinyl surface or for over 1 year on any hard coated painted surface. In an unlikely event that your clear bra kit yellows, cracks, or peels up to 1 year from date of purchase we will exchange the item for a new item. ….” Do you want a product on your vehicles paint which only has a one year warranty with all the disclamiers - this is your second largest investment - this stuff will dry out than offer no protection it is like putting a shower curtain on your vehicle.

4. Paint protection films carry up to a 7 year warranty. Refer to www.automotivecandystore.com/paintprotectionfaq.htm for more on this subject and other questions on the PPF films. Please note 3M PPF films do not carry a warranty if the installer is not certified by 3M. (Many online houses will miss lead you on this point as does Cleardefender – (I have been through this many time with customers) SO if you plan on installation yourself there is no warranty provided by 3M. Many of these EBay stores/mail order may help you find a certified installer - refer to my site on this subject. www.automotivecandystore.com/paintprotectionfilminstalls.htm

5. As for installation - 3M is the most difficult film to install (least stretch due to the true clear coat as the films topcoat) and is also the best for durability. The film has alittle more orange peel than others this may not be an issue on most applications. 3M is the only film with a dealer certified network and many PPF installers will sell other products dependent on their location, use of the vehicle, vehicle coverage requirements and abilities.

6. The reason the 3M material is reduced priced is the patterns used are free, usually many pieces (more edges is a negative) and the fitments may not be the best ( the DYI ers may not notice the fitment issues or give up good fitment for reduced cost you guess is as good as mine) and they are trying to move inventory rather than make an improved ROI.

This is not all conclusive but I think are the major points.

Joe Altman
    Certified Clear Bra (Paint Protection)& Headlight/Taillight Protection Installation Facility
    Stuart, Florida

4 people like this.
  10. RadioZero

RadioZero Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    thanks for the clarification on these films.

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Clearshield or Venture Shield?

I do not think I have the skill to do this myself so I intend to have a professional installation for bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, and headlights. In my area the 3M Scotchgard product is not available although I could get it installed 100 miles from here, price unknown.

I can get Clearshield by Bekaert or Ventureshield. Both are sold by reputable local shops that I trust to do a good job. The Clearshield is $600 installed: the Ventureshield is $750.

Any thoughts on which would be better, having a good product is more important than the price. Both shops said they would try to get the car in as soon as I get it.

12. green curry expert

green curry expert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got my car today and the "invisible bra" looks amazing. He actually put the film on the hood as well as the sides of the car near the headlights. It looks invisible. You have to look very closely or touch the car to find the edges. Hopefully it holds up well in the long run.

I'll try to put up some pics soon.

1 person likes this.
  13. Edward Walsh

Edward Walsh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi:

Was away for a few days and just noticed your post. Look forward to the pictures. By the way, who did your car, brand name of film used, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I am still looking at getting this done. Did have a person from a dealer (non-Toyota) not recommend it - she bought a car with it on and when she took it off all the paint on the hood came with it. Seemed strange to me that that happened. Especially with so many people getting this done.

Anyway, await your pics.

Thanks,

Edward
    Marystown, Newfoundland
    Canada

14. topkick

topkick Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had the 3m PPF put on my 2007 Prius and liked it very much it did stop the rock chips where the film was. I had 3 or 4 rock chips before I had it applied and with the black paint and the white base paint I was really unhappy with the rock chips. After I had the PPF put on I didn't get any more.

On the 29th I am going to have it added to my 2010, I hope I don't get any between now and when it is installed. The 2010 is silver and I would like it protected before I take a trip.

I bought the 3M film on ebay, was going to try to put it on my self but changed my mind and decided to have it put on by a 3M installer instead.

15. green curry expert

green curry expert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like the film shows up very well in my garage lights. If you look at the second shot, you can see the edge (and it goes all the way down the side of the headlights). In the first shot, if you look very carefully, you will see the edge of the film about 2/3 way up the hood.

I'll see if I can find out the brand of the film from my dealer, I'm guessing they will keep the contractor secret...

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  16. RickFlashman

RickFlashman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got my car done and the results are fantastic. You can't see where the clear material is unless you really look close. To clarify, it's an Xpel "pattern" done with Llumar Paint Protection Film, a mix and match by a very experienced installer, using what he feels are the best patterns with the best film. The first picture shows you the clean-room setup they have for installing the pattern:

[​IMG]

This second picture shows the film installed, no you can't see the material, that's the best part. Since I got the FULL COVERAGE on both the hood and front side panels, there are no seams cutting through the middle of the paint. The bumper is 3 pieces, so you can find small seams up close, but you have to look really close.

Overall, I am very very impressed and very satisfied with the results. The installer, Steve Hancock, was a complete professional and even washed my car for me as part of the installation. If you go there, be sure to mention that Flashman sent you.

RadioZero stopped by to check it out, since he installed the eBay 3M material himself, he's probably a good source to understand the differences between a manual installation and a professional installation like this one.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. RadioZero

RadioZero Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    thanks again Rick for letting me check out the install. what i noticed was that Rick had full protection of the hood, bumper and front quarter panels. the install looked great and the seams were barely noticable. you had to be staring at it to see the seams. the other thing i noticed was the film had a nice iridescent quality to it. the shop was extremely clean which makes for a good install and the guys working there allowed us access to the shop to see the final steps.

great stuff.

18. clearbraj

clearbraj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like a great job on teh Red Pruis. Xpel patterns are the best patterns on the market along with Proform. The llamar patterns are not quite up to the same quality as the ones mentioned.

As for the LLumar film - Please insure you use a liquid polymer type sealant. Since the Llumar product as I recall has no clear coat or top coat for that matter, it's ability to resist staining over time is limited especially during the Florida luv bug season and also the yellow pollen (other contaminents) gets into the pores of the urethane and stains the film. You will need additional maintenance and care with this film over clear and top coated films. I am sure the installer shared this information with you. The Llumar warranty card does not have detailed information on Care and Maintenance. New products and maintenance issues are learned and that provided to the installers. Just me two cents.

Hope this helps.
    Joe Altman
    Stuart, Florida

1 person likes this.
  19. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So Drspielman, Have you put Clear Bra, or an equivalent, on your car? did you have it applied to the front bumper? I'm thinking of having Clear Bra installed on the plastic front bumper. I'm wondering if it is worth it.

20. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Green Curry Expert, I asked someone else this question. Have you put Clear Bra, or an equivalent, on your car? Did you have it applied to the front bumper? I'm thinking of having Clear Bra installed on the plastic front bumper. My dealer applied Clear Bra to the hood and said it was not effective to apply it to the bumper. I'm wondering if it is worth it. --TK