1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vinyl Skin prep

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Another, Apr 5, 2022.

1. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The clear coat on the small 6” deep roof section just forward of the rear hatch on my 2007 has eroded badly. No rust, just doesn’t look good. Instead of respraying it, I’m thinking of just getting some 3M vinyl skin material from Amazon and prepping the surface to take off the edge of the clear coat. I don’t have a paint sprayer and do t want to learn the techniques anyway. Would be outrageously expensive to get a paint shop to do the work. Seems the skin is cheap and relatively easy to apply.

Has anyone done this?

2. JahT

JahT Member

I am in the same boat after fixing up the mechanical things, now to improve the appearance. I am on the fence between painting and vinyl wrap. Paint matching is more work but could be less expensive doing it myself and only on the affected panels. Vinyl would require I do the whole car, and it isn't cheap, or maybe I could get away with doing the hood and roof in black, for 2-tone with the gray paint. I figure I could try paint and if I fail then resort to vinyl. Either way there is a good amount of prep work to feather the flaking clear coat and evenly smooth the surface.

There are some backyard guys on Offerup or similar marketplaces that will do a vinyl wrap for less than some shops. Still a bit pricey $1000-$2000. For DIY vinyl I think it is just a matter of smoothing the surface, giving it a tooth if shiny, wiping down all oils and dust, and then learning how to apply the vinyl which there are a lot of videos for. Materials probably cost about $600-$800 for the whole car.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it goes.

3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My wrap project is very small. Just the area I described. Rest of my car is fine. From what I’ve read a wrap lasts 5 years but on a whole car I’m not sure. Will be doing in in coming weeks. Will sand with 400 and 800 sandpaper to smooth out edges.

dpower and PaulDM like this.
  4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    while feathering do your best to stay off the base coat and sand away only the top coat. You'll be surprised how sometimes the base color layer can be half the thickness of the top coat clear. Sanding into the primer can really be a bummer. Prep is the name of the game and sanding is the main event.

5. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It still has to be sanded after removing the mess that the rustoleum remover leaves after eating away the 2 top layers of the cars finish. Than start over with primer to any of the bare metal spots you find. And that has to be sanded too.

dpower likes this.