1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Violence against Prius at all-time high

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by 4G63, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Why take chances? Some idiot's already committing a felony, help them win their Darwin award and clean up the gene pool. If more did there would be less of this sort of nonsense.

2. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As someone who grew up in a good family and lives on a street where there are a lot of children, I have compassion and morals, but as a biochemist, you better believe not a day goes by that I don't "hypothetically and only hypothetically" have that thought go through my mind; if we just eliminated all of the trouble makers and "career couch potatoes" from this planet, the world would be a much better place. Too bad it's not that easy though. I'm still a proponent of prison-worker programs and community service. LET'S PUT THEM TO WORK!!! (and the more work they accomplish, the sooner they will be released; it's not about time; it's about meeting a quota) You build 50,000 widgets, then find a job, and we'll let you go work in the free world.

3. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If there is merit to this article then it is surely an isolated incident. I live in NYC and there has been nothing like that going on here. The only reason someone would do that to a Prius is mere jealousy because of the fact that they MAY be driving a lesser fuel efficient vehicle. On this side of the coast the people that drive Prii are just folks who made an intelligent decision, not left wing radicals or treehuggers.

4. bobonlsd

bobonlsd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Let's face it, these crimes were more likely perpetrated by home-grown Nascar kids, not foreigners. You know the type ... because you have to deal with them on the road all of the time in their Hummers.

5. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Your first statement doesn't seem to be consistent with your last statement.

With one breath you state that you have "compassion and morals". With the next you state its "too bad" its not EASY to kill those who YOU think don't deserve (couch potatoes .... really?) to be on this earth. Help me out. Just which moral is that? I must have forgotten that one.

This sounds like the people that are "pro-life", yet support war and the death penalty. I don't think they understand the meaning of some words.

... Brad

6. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    ... or, perhaps, "the amount of SUVs being vandalized by" their owners ... just so they can get a modestly decent return on their investment through their insurance company -- RATHER than trying to sell it / trade it in at a huge loss -- and then purchase a Prius or similarly efficient vehicle ....

7. jeffreykb

jeffreykb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This reminds of a guy from college that had a gun rack in his Trans Am.

I grew up on a farm...and it could take over an hour for a law enforcement officer to show up there. So I can understand this kind of comment. Such proclamations was an attempt to prevent any funny business...not to say that these are possibly idle comments.

I would like to own a SUV and Prius...both have their uses.

8. NeoPrius

NeoPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it could be statistically shown that a Prius was more likely to be vandalized that any other car, the insurance company actuaries would have figured that out and our rates would be higher. As it stands, insurance on my brand new Prius is the same as it was on my eight year old pickup truck.

Sure, there are small minded people out there that probably target Prii. They will probably be the last holdouts to drive their perfectly good trucks to the junk yard and sell them for $200 worth of scrap metal when gas goes up to 8 bucks a gallon or more.

The time will come when even they have to choose between paying the bills and their hubris.

I don't want to see anyone get hurt, but I hope that time comes quickly.

9. PearlDriver

PearlDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This makes me wonder---My Prius was hit in a Costco parking lot with LARGE parking spaces. My right rear bumper was smashed in. I was at an end spot against the curb for a little landscaping. Of course no one saw anything and no name was left. The next time I went to Costco I was shaking as I headed out the door.

10. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Whose to say it wasn't ELF. They have proven their willingness to destroy vehicles regardless of the environemental costs. (Granted usually Hummers) But a gas powered vehicle is a gas powered vehicle, even in Petaluma.

11. joe_g

joe_g New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Interesting post.

So far my Toyota is fire free.... (knocking on wood!)

OTOH, my F350 has caught fire twice. Both times were electrical fires that went out on their own before the whole thing burned up.

So much for the dangerous hybrid.