1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Violent engine shaking at startup. Miss fire codes all cylinders

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by rjp123, Apr 4, 2019.

1. rjp123

rjp123 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Definitely. I see Video 17 on this page is about EGR cooler cleaning. I plan to follow this.
    Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. rjp123

rjp123 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Noted. Thanks. Assuming I can torque the cam assembly down (which will probably have to push at least some valves open) without either cam rotating I will be okay. Afterwards I will rotate by hand to verify as you suggested. Good idea.

#42 rjp123, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  3. rjp123

rjp123 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. rjp123

rjp123 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Wish I could work on it today but I had to go to work, and not in my Prius :(

I wonder if I'll ever get the 5000 hoses and electrical connectors back in the right places. Never saw so many sensors, and coolant lines!

Got to watch NCAA championship game tonight. Maybe tomorrow...

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's a good attitude, pace yourself. (y)

Too: near insurmountable problems often get whittled down, just by walking away for a bit.

Almost without fail the head gasket failures are at cylinders 1 and 2. EGR feeds into intake manifold at cylinder 4 end. I think there's a connection, but don't have enough brain cells to understand it.

#45 Mendel Leisk, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    The Critic and rjp123 like this.
  6. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I also locked the camshaft using the method suggested in the video. But looking back, it really wasn’t necessary and doing so adds unnecessary risk of damaging the camshaft or the camshaft cap. There is a specific order in which those bolts are supposed to be removed in order to gradually release tension from the valve springs.

On your crankshaft gear/sprocket, what is the current position of the dot? IIRC it should be just past the 3 o’clock position if you are at cyl #1 TDC. In all honesty, it probably doesn’t matter too much as long as the tooth on the crank gear matches up with the corresponding link on the chain. At this point moving the crank gear a few millimeters clockwise will likely put you in the position shown in my picture.

When you have the engine mostly reassembled, leave the valve cover and the crank pulley off and rotate the engine until the colored links line-up again. Then install the crank pulley and make sure the mark on the pulley corresponds to “0” on the timing cover.

Good job with the cleaning. Your head gasket appears to have failed in the same place as mine. Did you purchase the overhaul gasket kit from Toyota or are you going a la carte?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. rjp123

rjp123 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    What sealant is suitable for the timing cover? Manual calls for 3 bond 1207. Was wondering if plain old permatex ultra black RTV was okay.

8. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota FIPG 103 would be ideal, but in its absence, you can try Permatex Right Stuff:

Permatex® the Right Stuff® 1 Minute Gasket™ Maker - Permatex

The Ultra Black RTV will probably work but it has a long curing time and the instructions call for a re-torque.
    https://441py33rout1ptjxn2lupv31-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/tech_docs/tds/82180.pdf

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. rjp123

rjp123 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Good info. I didn't know there was a re torque required for Ultra Black.

10. rjp123

rjp123 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am thinking about this. I read the section in the service manual about torquing the cam assembly and they do seem pretty concerned about torquing it in sequence. It is probably important to have the cam in a position that it does not push any valves open as it is torqued. I may have to rotate the shafts after all. I think the video left out a lot of little steps like this that could be important. May not have been a good idea to lock the cams with paper towel after all. On the other hand, it may make no difference.

Seems easy enough to set the timing.

Any other gotchas that you noticed in the video?

I had no problem with the exhaust manifold btw. Just pushed it back away from head with a long pole wedged against lower frame and there was sufficient room to install.

Mendel Leisk and The Critic like this.
  11. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here is what I can think of:

- Rotate the crankshaft to Cyl #1 TDC and confirm the piston for Cyl 1 and 4 are both at the same height. Do the same for Cyl #2 and #3. This is important to confirm that you do not have any bent connecting rods. It appears that bent connecting rods are not uncommon on these engines if there has been coolant intrusion. If the head is already back on I suppose you can use a depth gauge of some kind.

- Place the hydraulic lifters (valve lash adjuster) into an oil bath. I did not do this and my engine knocked/rattle for a few minutes during the initial start-up. I heard that air can get into the lifters as the oil leaks out, which may explain why the engine was noisy for several minutes.

- Clean all of the surfaces really well (no traces of prior RTV). The aluminum is very soft so I used CRC gasket remover and plastic razor blades.

- When installing the timing chain, it is similar to installing a timing belt where one side is the tension side and one side is the slack side. The right side (facing the front of the car) will always be tensioned even when the tensioner is removed.

- There are two bolts going thru the water pump which will benefit from having RTV.

- There are several o-rings which can get lost or displaced during disassembly. I also found these o-rings to be super hard so I highly recommend replacing of all of them. If you purchased the engine overhaul gasket kit from Toyota all of the o-rings are included. IIRC there are three o-rings behind the timing cover (1 large, 2 small), two o-rings on the outside of the timing cover for the oil filter housing, and two o-rings on the camshaft bearing assembly (1 very large one, and one tiny one that is probably stuck to the valve cover).

- Remove the oil pressure switch from the timing cover, clean and reinstall the switch with new thread sealant prior to reinstalling the timing cover.

Glad to hear that you were able to leave the exhaust manifold in place. To me it looked easier to remove the head and the manifold together, but I will keep this in mind if I get an opportunity to do another one.

Raytheeagle, Mendel Leisk and rjp123 like this.
  12. rjp123

rjp123 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks. All good info. I was not planning on replacing any gaskets other than head and maybe intake unless they looked bad. I'm going to Toyota tomorrow to get some FIPG 103 so I'll get the O-rings as well, and a PCV valve I suppose. If the car had lower mileage, of course, I'd do it right and measure and replace everything.

13. rjp123

rjp123 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Any tips on cleaning fuel injectors while they are out? Should they be cleaned? If so, how?

14. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Got it. Did you get the OE Toyota head gasket or a Fel-Pro?

You can take them to a shop to have them professionally cleaned and flow-tested, but since you are going the economy route, I would skip this step unless you are having issues.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I went ahead and looked up the critical o-rings I mentioned earlier. Please have your parts department double check fitment by your VIN, but I think these part numbers should be correct:

Camshaft Bearing Oil Hole Gasket (big one): 11159-37010 $5.34

Camshaft Bearing Cap Oil Hole Gasket (small o-ring): 90430-10024 or 90430-A0001 $1.72

Oil Filter Housing to Timing Cover O-Rings: 96723-24020 (need 2) $3.45/ea

Small O-Rings on the side of the Cylinder Head: 96721-24015 (need 2) $3.59/ea

Large O-Ring on the Engine Block: 96723-24020 $3.45

According to partsvoice.com, these are all normal stock items at my local dealer(s) so hopefully they will have them in-stock for you as well.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. rjp123

rjp123 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Wow, thanks. I was just trying to look them up online and could not find them. Where did you find them listed? I was looking on McGeorge Toyota under Engine.

Head gasket is Mahle Original 54773. It was only one I could get from amazon in one day. Hope it’s okay.

17. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have heard good things about Mahle on Euro cars, but I have no experience with them on Asian vehicles.

I used these diagrams:

CYLINDER HEAD. For 2011 Toyota Prius Hatchback HYBRID | Village Toyota Parts

CYLINDER BLOCK. For 2011 Toyota Prius Hatchback HYBRID | Village Toyota Parts

OIL FILTER. For 2011 Toyota Prius Hatchback HYBRID | Village Toyota Parts

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Be sure to also replace the spark plugs. Coolant contamination fouls them and this will cause misfires.

There is increasing evidence that a failed or intermittently functioning electric engine water pump contributes to the head gasket failure. If yours is still original at 206k, it is a very good idea to replace it. RockAuto sells the Aisin WPT190 for $237 and it is the exact same pump as the one sold in a Toyota box. I know you are on a budget but a flaky water pump can/will cause a repeat head gasket failure.

Raytheeagle and mikey_t like this.
  19. rjp123

rjp123 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius