1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

violent shaking at start up

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by springfield, Nov 15, 2009.

1. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    80% humidity? HIGH??? ha ha ha That's just funny!
    It was 93% this morning. I didn't check this afternoon. It's 79% now.... Florida... :)

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you speaking as a CARspec rep, or just quoting them? Either way, having seen so many EGR and intake manifold horror-story pics, I don't think the revised intake manifold does squat, or that "occasionally accelerate briskly (when safe)" will make a difference, or that Toyota gives a rat's @ss.

SFO and Grit like this.
  3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From what I've read on Prius Chat, it seems the ones that drive most city, and drive 75mph and faster all the time,
    experience more clogging of the cooler, and oil in the intake, and use more oil.

Those that drive more, and longer on the highway and keep it under 70mph, have less clogging, less oil in the intake,
    and use less oil between oil changes.
    NO scientific studies or anything.

I cleaned mine at 138,000 miles and the cooler wasn't clogged.
    Very little oil in the intake. And I used 1 quart in 10,000 miles. About 25-35% I was
    driving 70-75mph a lot of the time on the interstate versus my normal 65mph.

Grit and Montgomery like this.
  4. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We were at 87% this morning. Point being, this isn't normal for us. We all know other areas of the country have higher humidity. I expect that. :)

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I check engine oil level stick on mornings, at times I see water drops hanging on the top underside of inverter and brake fluid reservoirs :mad:

Montgomery likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's why you guys get rusty inverter bolts, hose clamps and so forth. Park under cover or in a garage help?

7. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea, I know. This year is a record year for heat and humidity. I may have to go north for the summer! :)

8. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We also have had this invasion of this new strain of mosquito from Asia. Its saliva is extremely toxic and causes a bacterial infection. It burns more than it itches, swells up the area with a hot to the touch lump and each bite takes 4 to 6 weeks to clear up. Insect repellents don't deter them either! They are small and nearly invisible and breed like there is no tomorrow. Did we piss off China or something?

9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I heard tonight about some horse virus or something from a mosquito... Crazy!
    They said it a good idea NOT to get bit! REALLYYYYYY?????

10. Jen2010

Jen2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2010 did this today when I started it up. Scared the shit out of me so I shut it off, and then started it again and it ran just fine all day...was yours a one time thing?

Grit likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    has you cleaned the egr

SFO likes this.
  12. 2012 prius owner

2012 prius owner New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I just purchased a 2012 Prius from a small dealership and two weeks since I’ve owned it, it started to violently shake. The check engine light came on. I did a diagnostic check and said it had 3 misfires out of 4. So I got new spark plugs changed out and oil change and it did not shake afterwards. Then the next day I started it up and the shaking came back. Looking on you tube, some said it could be condensation build up, but the car was in the garage the whole time when it violently shaked again. So after doing some research and for peace of mind of process of elimination, I got new fuel injectors, added fuel injector cleaner, new filter and cabin filter, cleaned the egr valves which was full of gunk and checked the air intake mass flow. So far it seems to start up fine now without the crazy shaking. Was thinking about getting new knocking sensors but not sure if that was the problem. Im thinking the new fuel injectors and cleaning the egr valves did the trick. So far the car has not been shaking real bad.

13. Mutt

Mutt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have 2010 with 137000 and just started chasing the shaking problem. About 4 weeks ago it did it for the first time and it is getting more frequent. Shaking only occurs when the engine starts whether cold or normal operating temp. I have replaced plugs and coils. Last Sunday it finally threw a code #2 misfire.

It is springtime in South Carolina so I do not believe it is a cold weather issue.

Tried putting one of the old coils on # 2 thinking I might have gotten a defective coil. Still vibrated on engine start and threw #2 misfire.

When the problem first started I added injector cleaner to the tank and it seemed to help but cleaner no longer seems to make a difference.

Change injectors?

14. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check one of the cylinders for coolant residue.

15. MITCHEROO

MITCHEROO New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    what year and how many miles on your Prius? How long did it sit since previously starting it?
    I have a 2013 and found it does the same thing if I leave it sit a few days w/engine pointed uphill

((this is my 3rd Prius, never had this issue with any of them, my 07 TE I drove like a V-8 Camaro, it started using oil at 165,000 sold it around 240,000 when the dash started acting like a Christmas tree and I couldn't get engine to shut off w/o startling the neighbors))

With the situation you and I see to have There are some tubes that suggest Head Gasket, some others that say thats all malarkey
    Anyway, I changed the oil right away and park w/engine facing downhill (that sounds weird I know, but now the oil pressure seems
    a lot faster lubricating through engine, and the 2 times it has done it since is not near as radical, like the engine wants to come out of car)
    The Head Gasket fix is interesting, and a gamble if not having it professionally looked at! I have No Antifreeze or sign of moisture in my oil or under the Oil Fill Cap or on the dip stick when sitting or running! If it is the Head gasket and ignored it can throw a rod through the block, they showed engines stacked like cord wood from this very thing! Then the engine needs too be replaced and the old engine core is no good either, sooooooo make sure you have correct 0-20 full synthetic Mobil 1 or Castrol Oil in it. ( leave the Pennzoil, Halvoline, Quaker State at the store or use it on a bicycle chain ...., never in an engine you want to last for a half million miles.

I read great reviews on CostCo Kirkland Brand 0-20 Full Synthetic (possibly being Mobile) and it was w/in 1 or 2 oil changes that I started having issues w/engine rocking and rolling like an off beat drummer, may be coincidental, but after going back to Castrol issues are not near as noticeable even w/vehicle sitting for periods of time! However, now my 2013 does use about oil 1/2 qt between changes at 140,000 miles. But then its not new any longer and I used to drive vehicle fairly hard.
    Anyway, I hope somehow this correspondence helps you and your Prius
    Mitcheroo
    2nd Chron 7:14

16. Josh Jones

Josh Jones Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had that in Nov once then a few weeks later it started doing it each time the ICE started. Watch your ICE coolant as it sounds like your head gasket could be going out.