1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Violent Shaking on Startup

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Vinoh, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Vinoh

Vinoh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This morning I had an unusual problem after starting up the car. When the gas engine kicked in, the car started shaking a great deal as if the engine mounts had come loose and the engine was moving around. I quickly turned it off and waited a few minutes. When I tried it again, everything was normal.

Thinking back, I'm not sure if I put it in gear before the problem occurred. Wonder if putting it in gear just as the engine is starting up could trigger something like this?

Coincidentally, I had my 35k service appointment tomorrow and just dropped it off so they could try a cold start in the morning. The service advisor doubts they will see the problem (I agree) but at least it's on record before the warranty expires.

Anybody else ever experience this problem?

2. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This can happen when you start the car when cold and the engine comes on and you shut it off before the engine goes thru complete warm up and shuts off. So if you turn on the car don't shut it off until the engine cycles off. This is only for the first start of the day.

parnami likes this.
  3. Vinoh

Vinoh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks, but I didn't turn it off until after the shaking began.

4. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The night or day before? Did you start the car and turn it off and parked for the day or night?

parnami likes this.
  5. Vinoh

Vinoh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ah, you're right. The day before, I moved the car into the driveway and shut it off after only 30 seconds or so. I've never heard of this issue before and I'm sure I've often turned the car on for short periods of time before. I guess it only happens sometimes. Seems like many more people would be reporting the problem and the service people would know about it if it was common.

Is this documented in the manual? If not, where did you hear about this issue? Thanks!

6. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I figured it out as I once experienced it. I believe I may have seen something on Prius Chat too. I now always let the engine complete the first start up cycle and have never had the issue again.

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh, the service people are sometimes clueless!

sdtundra likes this.
  8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Or force the car into electric mode for the trip from the parking pad to the garage. Heat off. A/C off.

9. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've had it happen too. Scared me witless. I, too, had moved the car the night before....so the engine started shortly before I turned it off. It's a non problem. Sleep well!! ;)

10. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I read that the driver can press the gas to rev the ICE a little to stop the shaking and got to test this recently.
    After a long weekend in garage and no driving, and starting it up on a cold morning (20 deg F) my v started shaking with loud banging within 30 seconds. It was not quite as startling third time around and I was able to think for once. It helped that I was still in park in the garage. I gently applied pressed on the gas pedal until I heard the ICE increase RPMs and the shaking and noise went away. I eased off the gas and heard RPMs go back down to where they were before and within 10 seconds it started shaking/banging again. Back on the gas to increase RPMs and hold it there for 5-10 seconds to stop banging and it did not come back when I released gas pedal.

I don't remember cercomstances parking before long 4 day weekend.

I would like to hear from more Prius v drivers that this method works to stop shaking/banging. So, be prepared, be calm when your v seemingly wants to eject the ICE (shaking/banging) and apply gradual pressure on gas pedal until you ICE rev up moderately, and report back here on PriusChat so we can verify this works consistently.

11. butterball

butterball New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A

This could happen in cold, wet, dewy, or heavy conditions with the shaking you describe. It could mean you have a cracked distributor or a vacuum leak but these are just two scenarios of what could be going on maybe. I would also take a look at your ignition wires just to be on the safe side.

12. dkelly

dkelly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That seems to be the key. I've had the TSB replacement of the intake manifold done (supposedly to correct this issue), but I have had it occur since then, although it was admittedly less violent.

I don't know if there is a satisfactory solution other than avoid those driveway repositionings.

13. JACoH

JACoH Enjoying the mileage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My "v" is in the shop right now, getting the new manifold per the TSB. It has done this 4 times in the last month. Below freezing last week here, and once was after I moved the car out of the way to move the garbage cans, so it only ran about 4 minutes, then I shut it down. Next morning, when started with tremendous pre-ignition, sounded like an old diesel.
    We'll see if replacing it helps, although I realize since the few times it happens, no great worry that anything is being damaged. Like an old car with bad gas or the timing off, running on after you turned off the key.

14. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You just need to let the car go through warm up. Pretty simple fix. Once the car shuts off into EV, turn the car off.

15. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday I moved mine a bit while icicles were falling off the roof. I shut the car off prematurely, and actually thought about this thread. Last night I moved the car back. When it started, the shaking and rattling started violently. My neighbor looked at my car as if it was a junker from 1965 :)

I pushed the pedal and let it do its thing, which took about five minutes or more to settle down.

16. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Warm up warm up........drive slow the first 5 or 10 minutes, basic care for the engine will make it last. Jeep Wrangler 240K miles, Lexus 175K miles.

17. Nomad04

Nomad04 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

My 2015 Prius Persona Series did the same thing yesterday morning. I purchased it in May of this year and it has about 12k miles on it. I've never experienced shaking and awful engine sounds like that in my life. This was the first startup of the morning with temperatures in the mid 40's. Has cranked in slightly colder temperatures with no problems. When the wrecker driver arrived he cranked it and it ran just fine. I sent it on in to Toyota anyway to have it checked out since it is still under warranty. I haven't heard back from them yet but I am expecting a, "We were unable to duplicate the issue and we found nothing wrong."

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    disconcerting. the benefits of a hybrid.:cool: you don't need to wait for toyota, you'll find everything you need to know right here. welcome to priuschat!(y)

parnami likes this.
  19. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've started my engine from a cold start and shut it down seconds after multiple times and never had this happen. Maybe only in certain climates? I move my cars around frequently since I own two cars.

20. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It will happen if you don't let it cycle through to EV.