1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Violent Shaking on Startup

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Vinoh, Nov 30, 2013.

1. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I avoid shutting down the car while the engine is cold or running, and haven't experienced the infamous "violent shaking" issue yet. However, twice on relatively cool mornings last week, for the first times, I heard a light tapping noise from the engine after cold starts. The first time, it started shortly after the engine started, while still in "P". The second time, it started about a minute later, as soon as the engine was under significant load on a hill. Both times, it faded away after a few seconds, and hasn't been heard since. Maybe a milder version of the same phenomenon, or ___ ???

2. prevee5

prevee5 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just experienced this phenomenon the other day. And yes, the night before, I did move my car up the driveway about 50 feet. The engine did come on but only for a few seconds before I shut off the power. The temp was around 45 F. I experienced the shaking the next morning. Was quite frightened and shut it off. Powered back on right after. Continued shaking about 10 seconds or so then was normal thereafter.

I see that a few of you out there experienced this and can explain when it happens. But does Anyone know WHY the car does that? I find it very strange. I thought there was a cat or possum in my engine compartment....or a belt was broken.

Anyone?

2012 Prius v, Five
    45K miles

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unburned hydrocarbons in the intake manifold, iirc.

4. minnyprius

minnyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yep, just happened to me, and I know what I did to cause it. Good to learn it early (just bought the car 6 days ago)! You can imagine my thoughts of having bought a basket-case... hehehe. All's well that warms well...

Happy New Year!

orenji and parnami like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. minnyprius

minnyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I might take mine in tomorrow, since I have the day off... Just to make it known, see if they're willing to do the intake manifold... Couldn't hurt...

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just let it warm up and cycle off before shutting down. If its a 2015 it should have the latest manifold.

8. minnyprius

minnyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's a 2012...