1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

viper ds4+ Remote Star, Car shuts off when EV kicks in

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Dragonhanx, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for showing us the video. Yeah, if that's the way remort start behaves on Prius, it is totally useless. I don't have any solution for you, but I hope you find a workaround for this problem. For now, I am going to put off installing a remote starter on my PRIME for sure.

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2 things:

#1 Most important thing, you're not an idiot (y)

#2 They need to redo their work. The entire car shuts down to off state, not just the gas engine going off. Something with the viper is triggering the start/stop button after car is on ready causing the shutdown.

3. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have the Viper system installed by just some random shop (not a dealer). It absolutely does NOT have the problem you have. With my Viper system, the car (talking car, not the ICE) stays ON for the full value of the timeout (which I have selected at 10 minutes).

You said after remote start, it the car "always" turns off after one minute. Are you sure that the timeout for your Viper is not set to one minute? Again, the Viper can be programmed to turn off after one minute, two minutes, five minutes, ten minutes, etc. It is user programmable.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the ECO mode has anything to do with this.

4. Dragonhanx

Dragonhanx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No it does not always stop after one minute , in very cold mornings it stays for what I believe is more than 10 minutes until the engine is hot and the car decides to go into ev mode, that's what is deciding when to shut off, sometimes if I drive to the store then I'm going to the parking lot it only stays for about 10 secs

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I will be following this thread as I am considering getting remote start. The set up the OP has would not be acceptable. Perhaps Viper will have a solution when you speak to them?

6. Dragonhanx

Dragonhanx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I will be contacting viper and see what they say, will keep you posted

7. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Definitely don't use that phrase when you talk to Viper (or a specialty alarm shop) because it is going to confuse them since ev is a drive mode.

Does this summarize your problem: "When the car is started with the Viper, the car turns OFF as soon as the ICE is no longer needed and stops running."

Is this also true: "If started with the Viper, the car never remains ON once the ICE shuts down"

If so, that better describes your problem than talking about "ev mode."

You are probably going to spend a lot of time with Viper that's not going to produce any results. Their unit is fine and its not their fault if some knucklehead messes up the install.

If I were in your shoes, I would take it to a specialty installer that knows the Prius and has done Prius installs before. I would pay them to "re-install" the Viper (i.e. figure out what Best Buy did wrong). I'd then take that receipt to Best Buy and talk to the manager about getting reimbursed for the hack job their installer did.

The Viper system works great in the Prius -- I have one. I would bet money that this is a Best Buy problem.

Good luck!

#27 Johnny Cakes, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  8. Dragonhanx

Dragonhanx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this , I appreciate it a lot.

9. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Did you find out anything on this?