1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Viper SmartStart & 2010 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Que1999, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I use it everyday. What are your questions?

Before I had it installed I had a million questions. I am an Electrical Eng and can answer any question about it.

2. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think I asked you this before and did not receive a reply: did you use a W2W setup or D2D? Also, which bypass module did you decide to use? Thanks.

3. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The bypass moduel is FLCAN by Flash Logic.

4. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. And did you use D2D at all?

MB860 ?

5. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I did not do the install. I purchased three products. The main unit, Smart Start and FLCAN. I also bought a relay to turn my lights off when the car is running.

My theory is if you leave your lights off while the car is running at night less people will nose around to see if it is unlocked. They are less likely to break a window to see if they can drive away. After the Prius gets warm the engine does not run. No one would know it is warm inside.

6. Fla Fla Flo Fly

Fla Fla Flo Fly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you happy with the system overall? What did you hook the AUX function up to?

7. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am very happy with it. Especially in the winter.

One of the Aux is used to turn my lights off when the car is remote started. This includes a pitstop mode that lets to keep the car running and locked when you run into a store.

The second AUX is connected to the rear window defroster. I can toggle it on using the remote.

1 person likes this.
  8. Fla Fla Flo Fly

Fla Fla Flo Fly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Crap. Sounds like I'm going to have to buy this now!

9. inseek

inseek Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have Viper 5701 with SmartStart (the one without built-in GPS) installed shortly after I bought my GIII in April '11. I am not using/carrying Viper's remotes, just OEM keyfob and smartphone application to remote start the car and receive a SMS if the alarm was activated while parked somewhere out of sight for days.

Everything works fine, 5701 integrates well with Prius. I can disarm the alarm/unlock the door either using my Android application, Viper remote, OEM keyfob or by touching driver's door handle, same to arm the alarm/lock the doors. The only problem I have is that sometimes when I turn the alarm "On" using Viper remote or App, the alarm generates two chirps instead of just one as it will (and should) if I use OEM keyfob; and when I turn the alarm "Off" (again either using Viper remote or Android App) I am getting 3 or 4 siren chirps instead of just two (never had a time to troubleshoot this issue). It does not affect the siren/system functionality in any way as far as I can tell you, but that's the only thing I notices since I am using it on my Prius.

Overall, I am VERY HAPPY with this combination - Viper 5701 and SmartStart module without GPS. I got the alarm from fleaBay for like $130 delivered, SmartStart was I believe about the same, bypass was like $50 and I paid $100 for install at authorized DEA shop here in Queens, NY; finally I believe I paid $99 for 3years of SmartStart service which also gives me free roadside assistance/towing should I need it (I guess I will rather use ToyotaCare if needed).

If you do not have a smartphone, then you can just get a 5701 itself (without SmartStart, it can be installed later) as 5701 has smallest and lightest of the remotes out of all DEI but the range is a bit less than other highly priced models with displays - I believe 5701 has something like 600ft vs 1mile for more expensive models. The range never bothered me as I have SmartStart App running on my Galaxy Nexus so it does really matter where is my parked - I can remote start/arm/disarm the car that us parked in L.A. from New York. It is truly amazing! And there is a new SmartStart 3.0 coming in 1-2 months with even more features..

Viper - Car Alarms | Remote Starters | SmartStart | Window Tint | Window Film | Vehicle Security | Keyless Entry | Interface Modules | Accessories | Transmitters | Remote Start | Find Your Next Car Alarm or Remote Starter

1 person likes this.
  10. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If anyone has questions on Viper Smart Start post them here. Do not send me a private message.

I had a billion questions before I bought it. If could have read some of the answers in a forum it would have helped a lot.

11. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Did you have to keep a key in the car for this system?

12. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This can't be right, the bypass module saves you from having to sacrifice a key.

13. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I posted that on 10/18/10. That was before there was a bypass module for the Gen III Prius. You do not have to sacrifice a key now.

With a bypass module here are the rules.

- The Toyota keyfob will arm/lock and disarm/unlock the car
    - The Viper keyfoyb will arm/lock and disarm/unlock the car
    - The Prius door sensors will arm/lock and disarm/unlock the car
    - You have to have the Toyota kefob in the car to start the car. Without it the car will not start
    - You can carry just the Toyota Keyfob any everthing will work fine
    - You can carry both the Toyota keyfob and the Viper keyfob and everything will work fine.
    - If you just carry the Viper keyfob you have to leave the Toyota keyfob in the car so it starts.

14. peterjmc

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sweet. Just doing some final research until purchase the product and tinkering with the thought of installing this myself. I'll probably just suck it up and pay to have a professional install this for me. I would probably waste my whole day trying to figure out how to wire this.

VSS3000
    FLCAN DL-TL2

Only question I have looming now is how much will Toyota charge me to have the factory remote starter unit disabled and unplugged.

15. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had the OEM remote start installed when I bought the car. When you install the Viper unit it disables the Toyota OEM remote start. There is no need to have it unplugged.

I first took the car to a local stereo and alarm shop that claimed they were experts with the Viper unit. They could not get it to work. I sent Viper an email asking what to do. They strongly recommended taking it to Best Buy. They have a large data base of install notes that they can reference. Best buy had it working in less than 1 hour.

16. peterjmc

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    @Judgeless- Thanks! I was afraid I had to go to the dealer and pay them to deprogram the system. What did you end up doing with the OE Remote Starter? I was thinking about pulling all the pieces out and resell it or just leave it in when I decide to sell the car.

Do you have more specs/conditions in how the pitstop mode operates? I'm hoping to get my installer to setup a similar feature.

So the best price I have quoted for install is $450 for parts and labor for just the SmartStart and bypass.

17. peterjmc

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    LoL

I just checked BestBuy.com and this system installed by Geek Squad is $299. I'm sure this doesn't include the bypass unit though. Even with the bypass unit it's cheaper than the shops I called. I might swing by a Best Buy tomorrow!

18. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I left the OEM remote start in the car.

The pitstop mode does work as specified but there is one bug.

With the car running you get out of the car and press the remote stat button on the key FOB. Then you press lock doors and the car will keep running to the pre programmed time period (mine is 60 minutes). When you get back to the car you press unlock and the second you press the brake pedal to put the car in drive mode the pit stop mode will turn off. The engine never turns off. The remote plays a music tone to tell you pittstop mode is off.

The flaw I found if you let it go past 60 minutes the car turns off and the alarm goes off. I will never let it go past 60 minutes so I did not pursue finding a fix.

19. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Has anybody attempted a DIY install?

20. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was going to. After talking with a few people they talked me out of it.

I took it to a local stereo/alarm place for the install. After 10 hours they could not get it working. I called Direct Electronics and complained. They stongly recommended that I took it to Best Buy.

I was told Best Buy has a internal database on cars with a lot if details on special connections that need to be made. Best Buy had it working in 2 hours. I had them do a few special mods and they made it work.

- When I unlock it unlocks all the doors.
    - When I use remote start or pitstop mode (leave car running and locked) it turns the headlights off.