1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Viper SmartStart Remote Start Works With OEM Fob

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Joel Anderson, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Joel Anderson

Joel Anderson New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I used these forums to do pre-purchase research for remote start options on my Prius v, so I thought I would give back to the community by sharing my experience.

It was difficult to find complete information on what would work and what wouldn't work regarding the level of integration between the OEM features and the Viper system. There were lots of posts that seemed to contradict themselves, and some of the posts weren't clear which model/year cars they were installed on, etc.

But I did find one post on the forums that indicated that their OEM key fob and passive entry system continued to work with the Viper SmartSystem installed, but it was a 2011 model Prius.

However, EVERY car dealer/installer —these were all installers that had experience installing Viper systems on Prius cars— that I called stated (rather emphatically) that the original Toyota key fob and and passive entry system would NOT work on a Toyota Prius if the car had been remote started. I even had one installer call Viper dealer tech support to get clarification. But they all had the same story, and none of them even hesitated in their answers — they seemed quite sure of themselves. They all claimed that when a Prius was started remotely with the SmartStart phone application, the ONLY way to unlock the door was with the SmartStart phone app or a Viper fob.

I didn't want to carry another key fob, and I didn't want to fumble with the iPhone to get into the car—that was the purpose of passive entry after all!

The dealer did indicate that Viper has a new Bluetooth module that could be added (for another $139) that would add a Viper-based passive entry option, but they didn't have it in stock.

While this seemed to contradict what I read on these forums—all of the posts that I read seemed to apply to older year model cars, so I thought maybe something changed in 2013—I decided to go ahead with the Viper SmartStart installation, and add the Bluetooth option later if I felt I needed it — they didn't have the Bluetooth kit in stock, and it wasn't like I needed to use remote start everyday.

SURPRISE!

After they installed the Viper SmartStart system, they discovered that in fact, ALL OF THE ORIGINAL TOYOTA ENTRY OPTIONS CONTINUED TO WORK!

So, to be clear:
    1. I have a 2013 Prius v with the Viper SmartStart installed
    2. I did NOT add the Viper remote module
    3. I DO NOT carry a Viper key fob
    4. I ONLY use the Toyota key fob
    5. I can remote start the Prius using the SmartStart app
    6. When the Prius has been started remotely, I can unlock or lock the doors using any of the following options:
      1. Toyota fob
      2. Toyota passive entry
      3. Viper SmartStart app

* One other thing to be clear (which I knew up front from researching on these forums) is that after you unlock the car after remote starting, the engine will turn off. Again, I knew this would be the case before purchasing the Viper system, and was willing to live with that, it really isn't a big deal, and is very much worth not having to scrape windows or wait for the car to warm up in 40 below weather!

anewhouse and usnavystgc like this.
  2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Good info! I find it a real bummer to hear that the car's engine will shut off after unlocking with the aftermarket system like like it does with the OE Toyota solution.....

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    How difficult is it to install? Remove dash? Cut wires?

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Joel, good info. I have been contemplating having one of these installed on my TCH. I'm hoping for the same results.

5. kfc2

kfc2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I know this is an old thread but I want to ask a question.
    I have a Prius V 2013 and I would like to get a VIPER SMARTSTART VSS4000 for it.
    I am only interested in the remote start feature.
    I would like to know what else do I need besides the VIPER SMARTSTART until?
    Please let me know!

Thanks

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    seems that the OP isn't listening..........

7. apt5020

apt5020 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Five
    I have a Viper Remote start on my Prius 2014 Plugin. Only issue is when you shutdown the engine. Sometime it beep 4 times. But that isn't a big deal. It's because there is a bypass. I can use the FOB or the Viper remote to arm and disarm the car. I carry both. With the Viper remote. I can disarm the car up to 1000 feet and the alarm if gone off will vibrate my remote up to 1 mile distance. With the Toyota FOB. I believe the distance to arm/disarm is only 80 feet. Hope that help

8. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Can you please provide us the installed equipment part numbers?
    I'm having an issue interfacing with some directed electronics equipment and my 2012 PiP, thanks

9. apt5020

apt5020 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Five
    I bought the Viper 5940V. Paid $200 installed which installer provide the bypass. I think the bypass is around $50 which wasn't much. Not a lot of installer have access to Viper knowledge base for 2014 Plugin Wiring. Without the bypass according the installer. Your original key FOB will not disarm the viper alarm. You will need it. He also disable the viper sound and use the factory sound to disarm the car. Sound stock. But the only issue when you shutdown the engine it beep 4 times. He say it's because of the bypass. No issue so far with alarm. Just a FYI. He do not recommend getting the glass breakage. Are you going to install this yourself?

10. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    For a Viper 5904V that really is an upstanding price by itself.
    Yes, I'm in the works to complete the installation and make it work, but run with a problem and the equipment doesn't start the vehicle.
    I'm blaming it on the loaded program code for my 2012 PiP but I can't get any help with the manufacturer or any forum.
    Could you put me in touch with your installer, being that he successfully made it work on your PiP?

11. apt5020

apt5020 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, this is the full alarm system. Certified installer in Rosemead, CA installed it. I did 4 cars with him. Two Prius 2014 Plugin , Honda Accord 2001 and Lexus ES300H. All 4 cars has auto start. He say the Prius and the Lexus ES300H is very difficult. Only a certified Viper/Clifford installer can get the wiring diagram. Not sure if he will give you the information. PM me and I give you his contact. His rate isn't expense. Very clean job. By the way the tint is cheap there. I usually do tint then alarm. Tint only $150 for all windows on Prius. There is a BIG line every day at the shop

12. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Hello there, thank you for the heads-up
    Yes, I'm interested in your installer info, it will be very helpful.
    Really I would like to pick his brains for a while, for a labor fee.
    I'm located in Long Island, New York and my "time warp machine" is broken.
    Thank you in advance for the help you are providing me.
    Regards
    Horacio

13. apt5020

apt5020 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Five
    He is still there until 6PM Pacific time. You can give him a call

14. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds like California Tint to me.....

MT2L03 ?

15. apt5020

apt5020 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, the audio installer Jason is good. Tinting is hit and miss depending which guy you get to install. I had them redo 4 of my Windows.

16. Jesseprs15

Jesseprs15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Could you provide information for your install shop