1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Virginia HOV Exemption Rules

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Stilview, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Stilview

Stilview New Member

There must be some confusion out there regarding the Virginia HOV Clean Special Fuel rules as there are several violators out there on the I-95/I-395 corridor. Below is the link, here's a summary:

Applicants for clean special fuel license plates receive the blue clean special fuel license plate established by statute for qualifying vehicles registered on or after July 1, 2006. Vehicles bearing this plate are not exempt from the occupancy requirements for the I-95/395 HOV lanes. However, qualifying vehicles with the blue clean special fuel license plates are exempt from occupancy requirements in all other HOV lanes throughout the state until the general exemption expires on July 1, 2009.

Vehicle owners who have vehicles registered with the white clean special fuel license plate, issued prior to July 1, 2006, may renew or transfer their plates to a newly purchased qualifying vehicle. Vehicles bearing this plate are exempt from occupancy requirements in all Virginia HOV lanes until the general exemption expires on July 1, 2008.

The annual fee for both clean special fuel license plates is $25.

The DMV link is Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

If you are not properly registered, kindly stay out of the HOV lanes for which you do NOT qualify.

Thank you