1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Virginia Transportation Funding Deal

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by wjtracy, Feb 20, 2013.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey learned something new...

Today I registered my minivan for 2-yrs in advance to save the fee increases due July-1. In NOVA we have emission test every 2 years...MassP - do you have emission testing or is that just NOVA? (2006 Prius is exempt in NOVA)

Anyhow, here's the new thing: DMVnow.com website says that EV's (electric vehicles) in Virginia always owed extra $50/yr registration fee. So that implies the new $64/yr "Prius" tax or "Hybrid" fee was pretty much targeted directly at hybrids, since EV were already paying $50/yr. I am reading this right?

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    VA status check
    ...here we are August 2013 in Virginia, new transportation funding bill in effect, or is it?

As of July 1:

>>Sales tax went up from 5 to 6% in north Virginia. This happened, CHECK! OUCH!!! :(

>>State gasoline taxes went down ~6 cents/gallon. Controversial - not noticeable so far. (n)
    Gasoline stations as not required to show tax on their receipts here so it is "impossible" to know if the tax reduction is being passed down to consumers. However, it looks like the stations are still charging full state taxes at 17.5 cents 2% local in NOVA. The new gaso tax is 3.5% on the wholesale dealer (11 cents). Looks to me like the the dealers are still taking the full old tax...I don't know if the wholesalers are also taking 3.5%. Gov. McDonnell spoke to this on "Ask the Governor" his response was it may take time to work through the system and the wholesalers have to be willing to pass along the savings to the consumer. But this is nutty, I say: aren't the consumers allowed to know what portion of the gasoline bill is tax at a gas station? Apparently not here in VA. I sent a note to my elected officials.

>>Hybrid fees $64/yr should be in effect: but can anyone confirm being charged for this? :sick: If not yet implemented adminsitratively, perhaps there is a window of opprtunity to register ahead without the new fees.

Please advise if anyone has got hit with the new $64/yr hybrid fee yet!

3. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When are you supposed to be "billed"? I suppose I may have paid it when I bought one last month. Have to look again.

I know it is BS, but ultimately 64 bucks wasn't enough to keep me away. I probably saved that already in gas I didn't buy.

I'm much more disappointed by the continued robbing of Northern Virginia by Richmond to fund projects everywhere but here. Then they raise our taxes along with Hampton Roads and act like they did us a favor.

Even better, the clueless NVTA is already squandering that money on dumb projects. I'll end here before it really turns into a rant.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm with you it's highway robbery but not enough people take the time to worry about it, so here we are. You would have paid the $64 at the registration I think, but if you registered before July 1 you beat the fee. Except you had an opportunity before July 1 to regsister for 3 yrs in advance to beat the fee for 3 yrs, which is what I did. Some people are asking me if its too late to regsiter on-line without the fee, it think is too late, but I do not have confirmation the fee has been implemented.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What metric exists for the price of Virginia gasoline?

Can you find a difference between neighboring state gasoline prices that show the effect of the lower gas tax?

Bob Wilson

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From a discount credit card I have I can estimate taxes each fill-up. I can see the tax did not go down in July on my credit card statement.

VA is shifting from 17.5 cents at the pump, to 3.5% at the wholesale rack level (~11 cents). Presumably the gaso station should be charging me 17.5 less cents tax per gallon at the pump, but their wholesale price would have gone up 11 cents.

One of the (many) critiques about VA plan to lower gaso tax is that experts felt the stations would just hold constant price and take a higher margin on it.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not to worry, I forgot I had captured a bunch of gasbuddy.com screen shots of the gasoline price map in 2012. There had been some fires and explosions at California refineries and I wanted to watch the price ripples. But I captured the whole map which included the Virginia gas prices and neighboring states. Near as I can tell, today's Gasbuddy map shows no significant change.

In effect, the transportation bill appears to have done a classic bait-and-switch. The gas tax savings are payoffs to the oil and gas industry funded by the higher sales taxes. . . . Somebody should go to jail.

Bob Wilson

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob- Thanks for the GasBuddy data. I checked my gaso receipts, at least for VA NJ PA MD, it appears no one requires gaso stations to say anything on the receipt except total cost...no taxes shown. No accountability.

9. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I didn't buy before July 1 because I wanted to make sure this is what I really wanted. So I decided I would eat the extra sales tax and "hybrid tax".

Plus I thought in Northern VA I can only register for 2 years since I have to do emissions every 2 years. Outside of emissions counties, you can do 3 years. Heck, the dealer told me they can only do 1 year for some reason. Not sure if that is true since it was the first time I bought new plates. Last car we transferred the tags.

The gas price thing has confused me even before this tax issue. Why is a gallon of gas $3.70 near my home, but if I head 40 minutes west, it is $3.23? I guess it would go along with the mantra in Richmond where it is OK to rip off Northern Virginia residents.

bwilson4web likes this.
  10. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Funny, non nova residents have the same mantra for nova residents. You choose to live in an area and let your county governments take advantage of you. Tell your county governments to stop wasting billions on useless public works projects.

I'm glad to see nova "fair share liberals" up in arms, now that they have some "skin in the game".

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    oh come on ... it's only fair that cleaner / efficient vehicles pay more to fund our control of the worlds most valuable comodity ... the petrowealth - owned by the richest individuals in the world. Oh wait ... I meant our "fight to guarantee freedom" ... or how about, "our war on terrorism". Hmmmm .... now who are the terrorists here?

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ON the emissions you may be correct 2 yrs for some models...somehow my 2006 is exempted, perhaps it is a CARB certified. So I never need emissions test and can register 3 yrs advance. I may need emission test after 10 years or something. I am already registered thru 2016 with no emissions test ever. Mini-incentive!

I have sent a complaint about high gaso prices in NoVA to a couple elected officials. I do not actually object to the cost: I object to not being told what the cost includes, and why?

But I am starting to learn the answers:
    (1) First of all, we have 2% extra tax in NoVA or about +6-cents...this is not new. So until recently our tax at the pump was approx. 18.5 Fed + 17.5 State + 6 Local NoVA whereas now should be approx. 18.5 Fed + 11 State + 6 Local NoVA.

(2) We probably have EPA Reformulated Gasoline in NoVA which probably costs +20 cents per gallon more. So you can probably thank EPA for part of the higher cost in NoVA.

Cars are so clean today I question if EPA reformulated gaso really makes a difference in air quality. It used to be that mandating Reformulated Gasoline on a region was the way EPA forced 10% ethanol. But today almost all gasoline has 10% ethanol.

The other thing I noticed on GasBuddy, in the cheaper gaso areas of VA, there are very few if any majors selling their "TopTier.com" brands with supposedly better additive packages. So we pay more in NoVA but we possibly get something better? Not sure. But to be honest I never pay full price...from Giant foods I usually get ~50 cents off per gallon at Shell and I have some other discounts when my Giant account is empty. So possibly we are not so bad off. But I still feel if we as consumers if we press our elected officials to bird-dog prices for us, we can get the price down.

13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This is done nationwide. Taxes are not on the receipts because the government doesn't want you to know how much you are paying them when you fill up. We have the internet now so you can find it out, and gas taxes no longer pay for the infrastructure they once did. That comes partially from your income taxes or in virgina your sales taxes. I pay part of it on my utility bill.

http://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-gas-overview/industry-economics/~/media/Files/Statistics/Gasoline-Tax-Map.pdf
    At $0.357 in gas taxes, only Oklahoma, south carolina, and Alaska pay less in tax for a gallon of gasoline. Your surrounding states all pay more, which means people from dc and other close surrounding areas may go to virginia to fuel up. I doubt gas prices will drop the 6 cents taxes were reduced.

14. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This is done nationwide. Taxes are not on the receipts because the government doesn't want you to know how much you are paying them when you fill up. We have the internet now so you can find it out, and gas taxes no longer pay for the infrastructure they once did. That comes partially from your income taxes or in virgina your sales taxes. I pay part of it on my utility bill.

http://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-gas-overview/industry-economics/~/media/Files/Statistics/Gasoline-Tax-Map.pdf
    At $0.357 in gas taxes, only Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Alaska pay less in tax for a gallon of gasoline. Your surrounding states all pay more, which means people from dc and Maryland may go to Virginia to fuel up. I doubt gas prices will drop the 6 cents taxes were reduced.

15. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Cost of labor?
    Lease cost of the real-estate?
    Supply and demand, or local competition?
    Low cost station is privately owned and has no debt with low land costs...the high priced station is company owned?

Your difference of 47 cents over 40 miles is nothing. I've seen two gas stations 2 blocks apart charging $1.00/gal different. I always suspected that the high priced station was in "some other" business with a gas station as a front. The low cost station was the local discount brand.

Mike

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...the other reason I heard: many years ago oil companies would advertize the price of gasoline without taxes. this was considered false advertizing (even though the ads had tax shown in smaller numerals - think Joe Izuzu) Therefore a commerce law was passed saying gasoline stations are not allowed to talk about pre-tax prices.

Now, however, I want oil companies to talk to us about pre-tax prices. That's what I want to hear about.

NO WAY ( to my knowledge)!! The world as I know is northern VA and gasoline prices are higher here than MD and NJ and probably par with DC. I have no explanation why north VA would be higher, since we have lower taxes, except to say we must have higher profit margins taken here, possibly we have less favorable delivery cost compared to NJ.

What you said above, they said on WTOP radio last night, that everyone heading to VA for gaso due to gaso tax reduction, and I tweeted them the story is not true AFAIK...story is off air today. Outside of north VA, VA gaso price is among cheapest in nation but nothing new there. The thing we are trying to measure if the gaso tax reduction lowered the pump price, and I think not in north VA.

17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I only know about the taxes. MD and DC paying higher gas taxes. If your gasoline prices are higher then something is wrong. It could be infrastructure, but that is doubtful. Someone in Virginia is benefiting, and its not hybrid drivers.

18. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Maybe the NOVA counties add a local tax that makes the cost of gas different between counties? I often play the state line game or the over the county line game to my advantage. Routes I follow frequently have taught me where the good prices are. And with amazing consistency they are the same places that were good 5 years ago.

Same in NC, Raleigh prices are often dozens of cents more than more southern rural county prices. Yet over the line east there start to be low prices again.

Former Oakton resident.

19. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    USA National Gas Price Heat Map - GasBuddy.com
    Take a look at the heat map. Virginia does have some of the lowest prices in the country. I doubt the lowered gas tax is being passed along. Look at the west coast. The higher gas taxes and cost of unique blends of gasoline are definitely being pasted along to consumers.

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...hello there Oakton alum, yes that explains a little bit: NoVA Is +6 cents local gaso tax (2%). But I'm looking at like center city Baltimore way cheaper than NoVA (a few months back) and they have higher gaso taxes AFAIK.