1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Virginia Transportation Funding Deal

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by wjtracy, Feb 20, 2013.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe you get out of the Hybrid fees...but you would still have to pay the VA property tax!!! In the past decades (when the car tax was bad) many registered their cars in MD/DE; not to be out-smarted, they changed the law to say any car "garaged" in VA owes the property tax. Also they want residents to turn in "car tax cheats" which I presume means any Marylanders staying overnight.

I could conceivably register in DE as I have a sole proprietorship. Guess what else VA dings me for? My sole proprietorship gets taxed by the locality. SO I could register in DE and save 2 tax dings. I now think of VA as a tax "gotcha" state. I live in fear of mail from VA or my locality saying I stepped on another tax dog poop. I am serious about this.

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So let me get this straight :confused: ... So if you incorporate(have a company registered) in DE and the car is owned by the corporation(company) - you could register the car in DE - which would avoiding the VA hybrid tax ... but because you are registered to do business in the state of VA - the corporation/company would still owe VA property tax on the company car because it is garaged in VA? :rolleyes:

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^^Yes. An individual cannot legally register a car out-of-state (say tax-free Delaware). But the two loop-holes are: (1) you may have a business incorporated in DE, or (2) you may have access to a valid address due to family living in DE. Historically this was problem for Virginia, so they ammended the property tax laws to say any car kept in Virginia owes the tax. Avoiding hybrid fee is minor point, the 900-lb gorilla is the high car tax.

Virginia's high "car tax" problem was worse in 1990's (getting bad again now). The problem then was people were registering in DE (0% tax).

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ugh...a somber day in Virginia today. A subdued Gov McDonnell went on the WTOP "Ask the Governor" show this morning to address the new FBI investigation into possible corruption charges. Much time was spent discussing this development.

I was too depressed (about the hybrid fees) to call into the show to complain his new $64/yr hybrid fee, but somebody else did call in to complain. The caller, and thankfully the radio show hosts, gave the Gov. quite an earful on that topic. The Gov. said hybrids need to pay extra becuase they pay next to nothing in highway taxes. But of course, no one pays much state gasoline tax here, as the Gov said his policy was to eliminate the state gasoline tax (which he partially achieved).

Va. gov: No special favors for company in FBI probe - WTOP.com

5. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    VA hybrid and alternative fuel vehicle owners have to already pay more than vehicles via their personal property tax o_O - McDonnell is soo full of it.

wjtracy likes this.
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found it interesting that the Gov gave the credit to VDOT for making the hybrid fee calcs.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Elections have consequences:
    Source: Virginia elections, 2013 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bob Wilson

8. iClaudius

iClaudius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In this case bad consequences, increasing taxes was necessary, gas tax in particular. The nitwit tax on high mileage cars was a meaningless side show. The wacky fantasy of infinite tax cuts and "something for nothing" that characterize the GOP economic ideology have bankrupted the nation and many states. We layoff hundreds of thousands of teachers but give trillions to "too big to fail" Wall St. crooks, borrow from China and Middle East despots to do it. We wage an ongoing oil war for 22 years but don't raise taxes to pay for it.

In this case, for the more extreme right wing voters who vote in GOP primaries, raising the tax on high mileage cars was the only good tax in the package...gotta punish those pointed headed intellectuals and their Pious Prius's.

WeeDrgn likes this.
  9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You are amongst friends here.

Tell us how you *really* feel.

;)

WeeDrgn likes this.
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think anyone in north VA not in politics is following any of this stuff. Which is part of the problem. People here tend to feel the quality of life and schools is excellent, hence all is well.

11. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hahaha, no.

Texas, Red States Beat Blue States On Jobs, Growth In Past Decade - Investors.com

"In fact, of the 10 states that had the best economic performance over the past decade, all but two — Nevada and Washington — are solid red states, based on the past four presidential elections. Other top economic performers include Utah, Wyoming, North Dakota, Idaho and Arizona.
    At the other end of the spectrum, all but two of the worst-performing states are solidly blue. In addition to Michigan, bottom-dwelling states include New Jersey, Illinois, Connecticut and Massachusetts. The only non-blue states in the bottom 10 were Ohio and Missouri."

"States with lower taxes and less regulation outperform those that pursue Keynesian-style public policies," said study co-author Jonathan Williams, who is director of ALEC's Center for State Fiscal Reform. "And people are voting with their feet in favor of these states."
    In addition, of the 10 states expected to do best economically this year, only two — Virginia and Florida — aren't solidly Republican.
    And of the 10 states expected to fare worst, all but one — Montana — are solid blue states."

12. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    California economy is in the toilet and the gov is pulling our chains.

Unemployment rate is stubbornly high

Companies are slow to hire and jerk you around on benefits

Satisfaction rate among the working is at a all time low

It as ever been this bad since the 30's

Cali's GDP is stagnet

Business formation is low

Red tape is a burden

Taxes are a burden

image.jpg

Chazz8 and massparanoia like this.
  13. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Solid number 47 bro.

http://alec.org/docs/RSPS-6th-Edition

Come to VA, pay $64, and drive your Prius in the 5th best economy in the nation.

14. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The study just validates what you see every day. Able mined adults hanging out in Starbucks during the day searching job boards. Companies reducing staff and expanding work load and threats from management is very common. Companies reducing benefits. Underemployment is typical. California is a Horror story. It starts in Washington we need new Leadership

15. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, It is pretty hard to dismiss what we see. The middle class now, increasingly called the "permanent underclass".

DBCassidy

JMD likes this.
  16. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)I share everyones concerns with additional and ever escalating taxes. I have a job, I pay taxes, I have a business, I pay taxes, I own property, I pay taxes. I drive a Prius, live in Virginia, and will start paying a yearly $64 Hybrid car tax this year, in addition to personal property tax. Someone thinks I make enough to pay all the taxes I'm levied. Fortunate yes, glad :eek: to contribute, but how much is too much?

JMD likes this.
  17. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'd like to hear your argument about the puissant power of a US President (ANY President) to change long-term economic trends at will. ...as compared to the power of the US Congress, assembled and possessed of a political will, which is a whole other discussion.

18. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There is a 3d loophole: any active military member who kept their legal state of residence in another state (military can, for example, keep the state of residence of their enlistment as a legal state of residence for the duration of active duty), AND garages their car9s) on military property, i.e. the barracks, military housing, etc. However, if stopped by the VA State Police or local police, such a military member must show a military post vehicle registration to avoid a ticket.

19. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The "it's congress it's not the president" excuse is a cop out. I can think of two democrat presidents off the top of my head that got sweeping economic legislation passed. FDR's "new deal" and Bill Clinton's deregulation of wall st and the mortgage industry, which is the reason we are where we are today. The president is the hub of the wheel, the leader. And unfortunately obama can't lead.

parnami and JMD like this.
  20. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Being Pres is taking responsibility and making changes.

I like him, was just hoping the economy would be better by now.

Hopefully soon

WeeDrgn likes this.