1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Virginia Transportation Funding Deal

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by wjtracy, Feb 20, 2013.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I forget where I heard the local cops where busy snapping pictures of license plates to check registration is up to date. But we really do not have an out-of-state registration issue right now (that I am aware of) since Gov Gilmore reduced the car tax. It will be interesting to see if the problem returns since the car tax is once once again growing with time. You might save almost $4500 buying a Prius in Delaware depending on local taxes. Your town is really expensive car tax for non-clean fuels cars, yikes. You have the right idea with your plug-ins.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That's what happens when one believes we have a 2 party system. The election campaign war chests of the DemPublicans are filled equally. Both 'sides' profit from the same banking/fedreserve/insurance/military/corporate lobbies ... even as the DemPublican constituents are kept busy thinking it's the other side's fault ... when in reality there is no other side. It's a great system - from the top looking down.

massparanoia likes this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^^yes the DemPublicans brought us the wonderful new VA transportation plan.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I started thinking about this list.
    Several of these are 'dual fuels'. You may never actually even use LPG for example, because many LPG users' systems can use gasoline too. Same with electricity in plugin hybrids or bev's, yet you will be charged tax. You also get charged tax on your electricity from your utility company if home charging. But, I guess that's ok because if you generate enough pv solar, you pay the utility nothing.
    E85 is my favorite one on the list. You get worse mileage with E 85 & yet they want to tax you more. Well good ... maybe that'll help to eliminate using perfectly good grain as fuel.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm glad you brought this up:
    We know there are moocher states, ones that get more Federal dollars than they pay in:
    Source: Obama Supporters Subsidize Romney Supporters With Their Taxes - Economic Intelligence (usnews.com)

What we have here are anti-tax hypocrites in Red states who turn right around and demand the rest of us support these freeloaders. But it doesn't stop at the state level:
    Source: ibid

It follows a familiar pattern I first saw in Little Dixie, southeastern Oklahoma. Intellectual poverty is the handmaiden of economic distress:
    Source: ibid

It is why dealing with our wing-nuts is so much fun . . . they never let the facts and data get in the way. But as some have noted, 'facts have a Liberal bias.'

Bob Wilson

6. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Haha wrong again bobo. The states that tax their citizens into oblivion are the ones whose economies are failing. Even Alabama ranks 17th. The states who's economies are failing are notoriously "blue" while the ones that are thriving are "red".

http://alec.org/docs/RSPS-6th-Edition

If the red states are better at "playing the game" and getting a bigger share of obama bucks then that's good for them. I'm not sure what the point of your article is, because rich subsidizing poor is the mantra of the citizens of obama's America. Facts have a liberal bias because liberals are biased.

parnami likes this.
  7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

I think you meant to say VIRGINIA

8. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Federal tax dollars appear to flow from the Blue states to the Red states, subsidizing their economies. In effect, giving them a 'free ride.' But turn some of those Federal sources off or better still, direct them back to the Blue states, and their economies won't be burdened by the subsidized Red states.

Bob Wilson

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If we summed up which states got more money for green car subsidies, CA would have to be doing quite well.

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The most significant thing I saw in your ALEC link was this quote (below). This is what I am saying about the new VA hybrid fees. We will get less hybrids in VA thanks to this fee.

12. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree. Which is why I think the tax, even though it is minute, will cause people to over react and abandon hybrids. People loyal to them will pony up the $64, people that aren't will not.

13. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think the red states are just better than the blues at their own game; taking other people's money.

14. iClaudius

iClaudius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hohoho...yes. Why was VA raising taxes $1.4B?

As for which states are doing best worst, all a bit relative coming out of the Reaganomics Great Recession with $14T in Reaganomics debt not counting the state debt.

Gasoline tax is a good example of the fantasy nature of the ideology, it has not kept pace with inflation nor with growth in population and cars yet GOP blames a very small percentage of high mileage cars for the problem and taxes them.

Total nuttiness.

jhinsc likes this.
  15. massparanoia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Kind of like when they "the 99%" blame a small percentage of "wealthy" people for their woes and try to tax them?

The $64 tax sounds like reds beating blue at their own game. Blue doesn't like playing their own game apparently.

16. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wonder how much of those Federal tax dollars that are flowing into the Blue states is Defense related (the federal spending part that Republican-Libertarians aka Reds normally want to protect and expand ) and how much of that money is for Social Secuity-Medicare-Mediaid-Welfare-Education (the federal spending part that Republicans-Libertarian aka Reds normally want to cut ) ???? :rolleyes: With any contract, including any political policy *Contract with America,* the devil is in the details.... reading the fine print and understanding how parties of a contract can *game* the other party via contract terms is very important... :sneaky: :whistle: :coffee:

IF this federal funding distribution is true THEN
    IF federal cuts are done uniformly AND the laissez faire capitalism policy is the optimal economic growth policy THEN uniform cuts in federal spending should cause the Red State economies to tank and the limiting federal taxes -spending should boost the economies of the Blue State?:rolleyes:
    IF this is so THEN how long do you think we should we wait to validate this?:cautious: :whistle: :coffee:

17. walter Lee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Taxes is the entry cost to playing in an economic game.
    The poor benefit the least and the rich benefit the most from an economic game.
    When the economic game is unfair - there is player defection via cheating, via black market, or they leave.
    As taxes become more unfair and oppressive, more players defect.
    When taxes and economic game is (regionally comparatively) fair, we see more player wanting to play.

A leading indicator of player defection and player population increase is immigration levels.
    A good example of the result of an economic end game - is a Ghost Town in Western America.

With respect to cheating - Star Trek's Cadet James T. Kirk response to the Star fleet's Kobayashi Maru no-win scenario cadet challenge comes to mind ... no-win scenarios are design for another purpose other than having a player win ... but to some players that's all that matters... often life and truth and reality is a matter of perspective.

Which brings me to the tall lanky caveman cartoon guy on ThunderLizards!
    "Look down here! What about me and my needs?"

18. walter Lee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Politician's brain: How many straws can one put on this camel's back before the weight of the straws will kill him? Hopefully, the camel's owner will stop the last straw from going on top of the camel before it kills the camel. :p

19. iClaudius

iClaudius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    More like the 99% blaming the 1% for the huge transfer of income with income from working and middle class workers (the 99%) shifting to the 1% who take the money (and homes, jobs and retirement savings) of the 99% via Wall St scams, bank mortgage scams, and tax scams they bribe out of Congress.

Wall St. $3T to bail out millionaire bankster schemes based on mortgage fraud that cost 14 million their jobs, millions more their homes and millions more their life savings.

The shift to payroll taxes that stop after $100K. The payroll taxes ran a $4T surplus, the tax cuts for the banksters a $14T debt, that and the Great Recession being the 30 year results of Reaganomics.

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On the radio they were talking aboout the main reason...extension of the DC Metro to IAD Dulles Int. Airport. Believe they said expected cost was $3 Billion, figure $5 Billion is closer to the truth.

Dems and Repubs committed to this project, with the funding to be figured out later. Now we know the funding plan is raise sales taxes in Northern Virginia. This would be my assessment of the situation.