1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Visa/Mastercard to cap gasoline fill-ups.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CalvinL, Jun 3, 2008.

1. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    this is beyond hilarious i love it

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    About 10 weeks ago I had to call Mastercard Shell up about a question on my sky high bill. Got my problem resolved. Fine
    However I could not resist telling the person at the other end of the phone, quite politely and sweetly, that the 300 to 400 bucks a month that I have been pumping into the OBSCENE AND BLOATED profits coffers, was coming to an end. I said I could take that money, add another couple of bucks out of pocket and make a monthly payment for a Prius, instead of gasoline, and when its done, I get to keep the car. I then thanked her for her time and efforts, and said BUH-BYE!!!

My last months gas bill was 38.56, instead of 438.36!!!

I love this TOY!!!

73 de Pat KK6PD

3. CalvinL

CalvinL 2013 Prius Persona Black Cherry Pearl

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, I have a couple friends who do own or run stations. :/ And the nature of business dictates you should at least cover your costs. However, it is difficult because of the competative nature of the gasoline stations themselves if there are others nearby because we would just shop elsewhere. Some charge just enough to break-even which is why you see many of the stations run a "convenience type" store.
    Which brings me to something I also mentioned somewhere in this thread that some of them started to charge two different prices - one for credit and one for cash - just like it was about 20+ years ago or more.

4. CalvinL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What's in it not to love? It gets me from point A to point B, performs well, fairly roomy, and extends my fuel cost, range, et cetera.

5. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well for us Prius owners it is a non-issue, since we don't spend that much yet, to fill up. However, for the other SUV gas guzzling owners, they are just going to have to smarten up a bit and start putting gas in before it gets too low if they must use their credit card. They will probably have to fill up everytime it gets to 3/4 of a tank or something like that, or go their ATM and get cash instead of using their credit card. I just say, let them worry with it for now.

I actually try to keep my Prius on full as much as possible. Just to keep putting gas in it while it is still a bit cheaper. I would hate to wait a whole month to fill up my prius only to end up paying some $.50 more per gallon when I could have kept filling it up when the prices were much cheaper. I filled up 2 days ago and it was on 4 pips and I only had to put 6.5 gallons in. So now I am just going to start filling up when it gets to 5 pips all the time no matter what.

6. Oddest_raindrop

Oddest_raindrop New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    as far as the $75 is concerned some stations will limit pump credit cards to $50. and around here $75 limit has been normal for at least 5 years if not more. The work truckwith a 40 gallon tank helps you realize it. So I have come to the conculsion fill and pay inside everytime.

7. CalvinL

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *shrug* Why do I need to ask? :p I've replaced a cat converter a couple times in my lifetime. Let's see - one on my very very first car - a hand me down 1977 Chrysler Volare Station wagon - A STATION WAGON!!! - highway mileage - a whopping 8mpg - after 100,000 miles out of its total of 110,000 miles before giving it to my cousin it couldn't meet emissions without a new cat converter. And the second on my moderately tuned 1995 Nissan Maxima - after almost 120,000 miles. Ah memories - *VROOM VROOOM* Now you know that I have rocks in my head and never bothered commenting on octane in the other parts of the forums before.

Short trips, moderate trips, long trips, hilly areas, flat areas, 87, 89, 91 - I try out various octane ratings on any car I own to find my own happy medium and satisfy my need to experience things and events. :p ***VROOOM VROOOM*** So don't let someone deter you from paying more at the pump! But be aware the end result of a higher octane is indisputable - it DOES and WILL increase wear and tear on the system and not just the catalytic converter. So don't let anyone trick you otherwise.

However, again, this thread referenced premium only as a means of TRYING to max out the 75 bux :p Yeah - its a non-issue really. but heh - It's still fun to know so we can rub it to our gas guzzling friends who like to eat fuel more than food.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    michelle does have a point. i was at 2 bars and happened right by one of the 3 Costco gas stations i use and gas was $3.979....well, waited two days and got gas with blinking bar (only blinked about 5 miles or so...) paid $4.019....so cost me an extra 30 some cents...bummer

9. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This really isn't new -- the limits have been there for a while, it's just that the prices are getting high enough to make hitting $75 possible.

All of the stations in my area are pre-pay, so you if you want to pay inside you have to first go in and give them your card, then fill, then go back in to complete the transaction.

Gas pumps are high-fraud because they're anonymous -- nobody looks at the card or takes any identifying information.

10. Bob47

Bob47 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep - those of us with motorhomes that have 100 gal. tanks have been dealing with this for many years. I don't think I'll have to worry about it with the Prius for some time.