1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Visibility

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by dchaille, Apr 18, 2011.

1. dchaille

dchaille Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone who has read consumer reports about the Prius is aware of visibility concerns. First of all, the rear visibility is reduced by two factors: (1) the air deflector bar (spoiler) that partially obstructs/divides the rear windows and (2) the glare on the navigation screen when the light comes in at certain angles.

I greatly improved the rear visibility by installing an after-market rear-view mirror. This mirror has spring-loaded clips so that it can be easily installed right over the existing mirror. This mirror offers a wide view and has side mirror extensions which give you visibility of what otherwise would be side blind spots.

I solved the glare on the navigation screen by purchasing a plastic hood from the accessory shop linked to this site. Admittedly, the hood was relatively expensive ($35). The hood is a dark plastic that matches the Prius dashboard. It installs with thin tabs that you insert into the cracks around the navigation system window. To prevent damage, you need to remove the hood when opening the window to insert a CD. My biggest criticism is that the width of the hood seems slightly mismatched (too wide) and it is almost impossible to insert both the left and right tabs into the cracks. Despite this apparent flaw, I plan to keep the hood because it is quite effective in eliminating the glare on the screen. If you don't mind the unattractive appearance, you could probably accomplish the same glare reduction by inserting card stock into the cracks. Personally, I don't favor the card stock solution since it makes a $31,000 car look cheap and ugly.

David
    Long Beach, CA

2. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds like you solved your visibility issues, so here's wishing you lots of miles of visible enjoyment! :) Enjoy the high MPGs, technology and low-emissions.

3. pictone

pictone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On the "NavCap" I removed both side tabs for reasons you mentioned. It works fine with just the one on top.

Can you provide more info on the mirrors? A link?

4. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The Prius has as good rear visibility as most other cars. We say "oh my gosh" because of the split but if the lower window, (a bonus), did not exist we would not even think about it being poor visibility.

There are no blinds spots to the rear if the outside mirrors are properly adjusted, see other PC threads and recommendations of the AAA and The National Insurance Institutes about this. Sadly many people adjust their outside mirrors to see the same scene as the inside mirror instead of farther to the right and left of the vehicle.

5. Timw

Timw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as blind spots go, I go to an auto parts store or Wally World and pick up stick on blind spot mirrors, I've had them on all my cars for years, even have the on my motorcycle. When I drive a car without them I feel weird. Just my opinion!

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never had visibility issues or worried about the glare on my screen but I'm glad you found good solutions to fix the problem and make your ride more enjoyable. Thanks for posting the info so others can benefit.

Welcome to PC!

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. rehillini

rehillini Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have used this adjustment for years now (thanks to the Car Talk guys) and it is great. It sounds strange at first, but really helps your rearview mirror vision.:rockon:

9. jamesa53

jamesa53 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Compared to my Honda Civic coupe, the Prius has no blind spots at all. Anyone who has ever driven one of these will immediately know what I am referring to.

10. WindyCityPilot

WindyCityPilot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never had much of an issue when driving in my friends Prius. I guess each person may or may not have issues.

11. J2010G

J2010G Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Because the dash is so high and the roof post positioned where it is, Prius visibility is terrible on left turns at night, and backing up at night. My solutions were: install fog lamps on front and a wireless video camera on the license plate holder. Camera was available from Amazon and works really well. A trick also for backing up automated on my cadillac was to lower the driver's outside mirror. Sounds strange but it makes it possible to see the curb etc.