1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Visor warning labels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Doc Willie, Aug 18, 2007.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    just a couple weeks ago, actually ;)

remove the 2 screws, there is a small wiring connector, real easy.

2. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Aug 21 2007, 09:53 PM) [snapback]500069[/snapback]</div>
    It's a cake walk! Two screws and one plug. Takes about 35 seconds to take the visor off. The passenger visor looks really funny on the drivers side - for those of us that have destroyed our drivers side visors :lol: :lol: :lol: B)

The visor mirror is a simple switch; it completes the circuit allow the switched light to turn on. The pins in the connector seem to be the same pitch as all of the other wiring harnesses - i.e. you could use them for the EV mod.

So, here are the pictures. Apologies for the low quality - other camera is MIA.

Starting with a removed visor:
    [​IMG]

After an hour of fussing with the iron and a wet rag and then the steam wand from my Espresso machine:
    [​IMG]

Don't pull too hard:
    [​IMG]

Since I've basically destroyed the visor, let's see how it was constructed:
    The mirror pops out. The glass cover has to be slid open and then there are two clips on the left of this picture. The mirror and the slide assembly remove as one after it's been removed from the clips and pulled up a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't try to take the plastic housing apart. The hinge is pressed in place and removing it requires breaking two plastic clips:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Daigi_ likes this.
  3. phumpher

phumpher um...oh...uh...wa...er

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oly_57mpg @ Aug 21 2007, 11:58 PM) [snapback]500161[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, sorry for the bad advice.
    The process had worked well for me. And the fabric on our Tundra visors seemed similiar to what's on our Prius visors, so I tried it.
    Apparently, Fortune shined on me that day.

Did you ever soak the visor fabric?
    Or was it just the wet rag and steam?

4. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phumpher @ Aug 22 2007, 09:37 AM) [snapback]500231[/snapback]</div>
    Not your fault! It was a learning experience.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phumpher @ Aug 22 2007, 09:37 AM) [snapback]500231[/snapback]</div>
    Rats! I was hoping that the Tundra had a different fabric/material. I guess not. Oh well! :D

No, I did not 'soak' the fabric. I heavily moistened 20mm around the edge of the sticker and on the sticker. I used a wet rag and steam. Then when that didn't work well, I used the steam wand from my espresso machine. The steam wand worked ok, but I think that it was too hot and caused the glue to set in deeper into the fabric.

After taking the visor apart, I understand why the visor needs to be heavily soaked - water needs to be _under_ the sticker. When the iron is heating, the water under the sticker steams the glue from the under side. Since I was unable to do it, doesn't mean that others (with more patients and cooler irons) can't do it! :)

5. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    QUOTE(oly_57mpg @ Aug 21 2007, 11:58 PM)
    ~snip~
    After an hour of fussing with the iron and a wet rag and then the steam wand from my Espresso machine
    Don't pull too hard
    ~snip~

OUCH !! I don't think I want to try this until someone has done it sucessfully. Thanks for taking point on this, and for sharing your experience.

6. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Aug 22 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]500437[/snapback]</div>
    I do not know, phumpher was able to do it. I think that I just didn't start the process properly. I didn't soak the visor with enough water and I had the iron set too hot.
    Since I'm already in the hole for $60 - another $60 isn't going to matter much. I'll try again with my remaining visor to see if I can do it better. I'll have higher quality pics next time.

7. Doc Willie

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oly_57mpg @ Aug 22 2007, 03:25 PM) [snapback]500523[/snapback]</div>
    I will await the resutls of experiment #2.

8. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Aug 22 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]500639[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I can absolutely verify that heat will do nothing to loosen the glue. After some research and two different sets of trial and error, it is my opinion that heat does nothing to remove the label.

I investigated other forums (BMW, Mustand, GTO, etc...) most folks say that heat does nothing and risks warping or melting certain plastics.

What I found is that the labels on the Prius are vinyl. The fabric and plastic are made of something else. Vinyl is dissolvable with Acetone.

I ended up using Acetone to wipe/melt the sticker away. The only other plastic items on the visor that reacted to acetone was the latch clip cylinder.
    It's starting to dissolve...
    [​IMG]
    And gone!
    [​IMG]
    With more wipes and some brushing...
    [​IMG]

Here's the pair together:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm sure with time and some more scrubbing, the area with the glue residue will subside.

9. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The visors are not very usefull to me, so I never see the Warnings, and they don't bug me. I can see how if you are shorter and make use of the visors, they are unsightly.

These warnings are a result of the Per Capata Lawyer Ratio. If you can begin reducing the number of lawyers, you will see the Warning labels fade as the lawyer numbers go down.

Here is one of my favorite Warning Signs.

[attachmentid=10846]

Attached Files:

Daigi_ likes this.
  10. Doc Willie

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Aug 23 2007, 02:56 AM) [snapback]500865[/snapback]</div>
    I pretty much ignore these things, as all humans do to anything that is a fixed constant in the environment. Like the startup message on the GPS would be much more effective if it came up every 10 times you started the car. But, as I am always re-learning, logic does not count for much on this planet.

I could ignore them, but the judges at car shows won't. Stuff like this screams STOCK and is the Kiss of Death.

Of course, maybe I am getting carried away by this car show thing.

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Aug 23 2007, 08:43 AM) [snapback]500962[/snapback]</div>
    Your link doesn't work.

I never see the visor warnings because I have CD holders on both visors. But that solution won't work for a car show.

I still think the stickers are your best bet. You'd have to be very good with a needle to make a visor cover that looks as good as the original.

12. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 23 2007, 02:26 PM) [snapback]501122[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but unless the judges are really keeping their eyes peeled, they will see the the obnoxious yellow header and think that it's the standard air bag warning. However, I do think the star chart was an excellent idea.

I scrubbed the visor some more and it's pretty damn hard to tell where the sticker was. You can faintly see the rectangle where the sticker was pressed into place. Plus, Acetone is a great test to see how safe you are - because the you get the change to risk: sterility, going blind, nervous system break down, and a high like no other.

If you plan to use Acetone, please use a ventilation system (if you have a vent hood to work under ++), eye protection (preferably goggles), and gloves.

13. Dirtnapper

Dirtnapper Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Heat...found out when the car was closed up on a 100º day! Labels were off, try a hair dryer.

14. Doc Willie

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 23 2007, 02:26 PM) [snapback]501122[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry. It's been corrected. Try again.

15. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dirtanpper @ Aug 23 2007, 09:25 PM) [snapback]501307[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe. I tried a hair dryer with no good luck. It did the same thing that the steam did - gunked up and didn't peel off.

Perhaps the manufacturing of my 05 visors was different. Maybe a better glue... Acetone worked the best and the fastest. It took less than 10 min to wipe the label...

16. Doc Willie

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    PriusChat comes through again. Oly57mpg's recommendation of acetone worked great. The labels came off with a little soaking. There was some staining left by the edges of the labels that didi not want to come off, but with my new labels it's not too noticable.

[attachmentid=11392]

[attachmentid=11393]

Attached Files:

17. Doc Willie

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    PriusChat comes through again. Oly57mpg's recommendation of acetone worked great. The labels came off with a little soaking. There was some staining left by the edges of the labels that didi not want to come off, but with my new labels it's not too noticable.

[attachmentid=11392]

[attachmentid=11393]

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Sep 12 2007, 09:13 PM) [snapback]511684[/snapback]</div>
    I'd say that's an excellent result. I think the stickers take attentions away from the faint remains of the original warnings.

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Sep 12 2007, 09:13 PM) [snapback]511684[/snapback]</div>
    I'd say that's an excellent result. I think the stickers take attentions away from the faint remains of the original warnings.

20. Doc Willie

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    . . . and in a few months I'll be posting here asking how to remove stickers that hhave been stuck onto the visors with artist's spray adhesive.