1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Visual Differences between updated Intake Manifold

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Juntuner, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is the part number for that gasket with the oil screen? Its a terrible bandaid fix for the problem but honestly a pretty good idea to retrofit it.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    22271-37010 is the part no WITHOUT screen, fwiw.

3. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure why felpro is the only way i can find it but here is the part number: Felpro 61421

Looks like if you spend $5 on that gasket you can do this fix as well for anybody reading.

I would be worried about any change to the EGR passage in the intake manifold as it looks harder to clean correctly.

StarCaller likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've always had very good luck with felpro over the last 44 years I like the company very much and their PT gaskets have always done great jobs for me including their copper shims for the overhead cam engines in the earlier days All well working good stuff even did some MG engines with their gaskets with very good success

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Anybody know (verifiably, not just speculation) what that screen is there to do?

"throttle body screen" as a search finds that kind of gasket in more cars than just Prii, and more makes than just Toyota, and lots of internet know-it-alls who "know" what it's there for, and they all "know" different things (which they discuss by saying stuff like "sorry to inform you, but my reply is correct" and providing no reference of course :rolleyes:).

Some of them are cutting the screen out, expecting a performance boost from removing its "restriction" (usually sounding like they've already removed the intake Helmholtz resonators expecting a performance boost from that too). There's somebody on Amazon selling the old screenless gasket so you can do a screen delete. There are reviews saying the delete solves a whistling noise.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a patent on file somewhere explaining what that screen is really for, but I could probably go too far down a rabbit hole trying to search it up.

6. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even though I call it an oil screen I think they are used for straightening air flow. Thats their purpose when put in front of Mass air flow sensors. When the airflow is too turbulent and the sensor can't read the air correctly, they put in the screen to get more laminar flow for better measurements.
    Here is the tsb again
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/MC-10133895-9999.pdf

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's what the K&n filter gauze and chicken wire or whatever it is was claiming to do back in the late '70s on up it's straightened out the turbulent air flow then along came fine wire mesh sensors that look like screens in front of mass air flow sensors or the mass air flow sensor was part of that screen assembly and on and on and on I have not seen the screen to gasket for the Prius or the 2Z engine

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Are you asking because you don’t know the answer, or are you asking like a lawyer who already knows the answer?

You posted a link to this post in a different thread. It seems to answer your question:

NEW!!! Service Bulletin for Engine Knocking at Startup T-SB 0012-10 | PriusChat

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No, I really don't know the answer about the wire-grid gasket, and I'd be happy if someone could clear it up (with verifiable info).

Right, both of those are talking about T-SB-0010-12, which is a TSB that said to switch to this manifold if experiencing a start-up knocking issue after certain cold-soaking conditions. But the best explanation we have about that TSB seems to be this one here, that the change to the EGR passages makes the engine less likely to get a snort of water that condensed there.

However, this throttle-body gasket with a partial grid is another difference in this manifold, and that explanation doesn't explain it. Of course, as lots of manifolds in lots of car makes and models now have such a gasket, it's totally possible Toyota just went with that newer gasket style while they were updating the manifold anyway.

Still, it would be interesting if somebody actually knows what the grid-like throttle body gasket does. For it to start appearing in so many makes and models, there ought to be some discoverable reason, possibly in a patent.

I don't think "straightening the airflow" sounds at all plausible. It doesn't seem deep enough, looks more like wires than vanes, and it's hard for me to see wires having a straightening effect. Maybe I'm convinceable if somebody coughs up a patent or tech paper explaining how/why it does that, but until then I'll keep waiting for a better answer.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I opted to change gaskets on the intake manifold recently; wasn’t sure which throttle body gasket was coming, turned out to be the plain one. Part number: 22271-37010.

Attached Files:

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I might be mistaken (haven't got one in my hands to look at), but my understanding is the griddy gasket wouldn't fit the old manifold, without a little Dremel work; the newer manifold may have some extra cutouts at the gasket groove so it can fit there.

... which suggests anyone selling a universal TB gasket, without knowledge of which manifold you've got, probably has to sell the non-griddy one.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah Priuschatter Merv had issues with the grid style throttle body gasket, presumably with the older style intake manifold.

Mention around 20:40

jzchen likes this.
  13. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think it might be the other way around though, that they are selling the griddy one to everyone without realizing there's two versions, at least that's what happened to me from Rock Auto and appears to be the case on Amazon. I've always wondered about that (why they would make a gasket that clearly doesn't fit) and it makes sense now. I'm just becoming aware that there's two intake manifold versions.

I ended up re-using all my gaskets since the griddy one didn't fit mine and the intake to engine one didn't seem perfect. The old gaskets showed no sign of wear whatsoever. I'll probably try to get the correct ones the next time I do it, but honestly I think they would last the life of the car.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I recently replaced all intake manifold gaskets, figuring it might be the last time I have the intake off, so might as well. But I did save the old ones; they still looked like new.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those thick, round cross-section silicone gaskets do hold up really well.

When I had my intake manifold off for cleaning at around 150,xxx miles, the manifold-to-head gasket did show a little bit of flattening where it touched the head. I reused it anyway, and it worked fine, but I then drove to the dealer and picked up a new one and swapped it.

I had a colleague at work with a (Chevy, IIRC?) pickup that developed rough running out of the blue and he went to the dealer, and they fixed it by changing that manifold-to-head gasket (the same kind as the Prius). So while they do seem like they'd last the life of the car, it's still wise to change them when you're there.

Mendel Leisk likes this.