1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Visual Mods to Prius interior

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by bobthejedi, Nov 30, 2016.

1. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi All,

Just want to share some options of some visual mods you can do for the interior of the Prius for relatively cheaply.

I had some leftover orange carbon fiber vinyl from some other projects ($7 from ebay) and thought I'd give it a try instead of shelling out $$ for the applique kits. Orange is also a favorite color of mine and it goes relatively nice with my blue prius 3 with ATP. You could easily do this with other types of vinyl.

The shifter was easy to pop off, but some care needs to be done for the detaching the buttons (clips on the sides)
    Vinyl application was easy with a heatgun, only real trouble was for the hole of the shifter, once it cooled down, it lost its shape and its not "round" anymore, but its fine for now.

I tried to do the the entire lower console in some black carbon fiber vinyl, but gave up due to the numerous tight inward curves, it simply got too wrinkled as the vinyl stretched when heated. I'm sure someone else could do a better job, but I wouldn't recommend it, I settled on putting some of the vinyl on the QI charger, I did have to take it out from the other side, but its pretty easy to unclip everything. I may end up just getting the black applique kit for the console.

In the first pic you can see the map lights were changed to white LED's after some swearing and pinched fingers. (hint: spend $5-10 and use plastic trim removal tools)

This is all still work in progress, but just wanted to share!

Other things in pic:
    The orange magnetiic sunglass clips ons are held on with some sugru (moldable silicone) and magnets.
    Xvida wireless magnetic charger that I got from Kickstarter that puts the phone on dash for Waze
    Street Guardian G dashcam, this is from old car, it is being replaced with a newer Street Guardian SGZC12RC that has a much smaller camera body so it won't be in the way.

Attached Files:

2. Archimedes

Archimedes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the white center council would look nice in orange also.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Dragon Rider and RCO like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, a lot of possibilities there, well done!(y)

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So would the console. :D

5. bigmichaelkim

bigmichaelkim Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Awesome customization! It gives a lot of personal touch to the car to do what you did.

I am still considering vinyl wrapping or plasti dipping the main black glossy center piece of the interior that is able to come out through disassembly. It is a rather huge interior piece and I am scared atm to attempt this.

But if I get brave and manage to dip it a matte dark blue I will let you guys know and post pictures of course!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought orange plasti-dip, but I have heard that plasti-dip doesn't work too well for areas that are touched/used often, but in theory its easy to remove if you do several thick coats. I think the black plastic is slightly textured which makes vinyl difficult

The problem with Vinyl is that its can stretch to fit outward curves nicely, but the problem is dealing with the excess vinyl for inward curves, I forgot to take pics, but I spent 45 mins just getting one side of the 'bowl' where the QI charger looking nice, but then I had excess material to deal with on the other side, I gave up after that as even the prospect of doing the cupholders was going to be nightmarish. It may be because I was using cheap vinyl, don't want to scare you off, but just give you a heads up.

A more expensive option would be to do some water transfer graphics or "hydro dipping", but that would require "ultimate" sacrifice of the console part, but it would be more permanent

Hydrographics (printing) - Wikipedia

Good news is that I've seen the console part on ebay for around $175 which makes it not too bad if something were to go wrong...Its not cheap cheap, but at least its not +$500

Toyota Prius 2016 2017 White Lower Console & Shifter Bezel Trim Genuine OEM OE | eBay

Seaulater likes this.
  7. alexgrigori

alexgrigori Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Are there any instructions on how to remove the center console? Pictures from eBay have plastic locks.

8. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Does vinyl wrap just expand and not shrink when you heat it ?
    Back in the 70s we used to have a product called Solarfilm, used for covering model aircraft. It was a heat shrink plastic which stretched out tight over the airframe. I suppose the same problems would arise on the inside curves with that though as do with the vinyl.

9. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    its pretty easy, you pop off the piece right under the latch for the center console box (pic _DSC3368.jpg) outward, then you can use a plastic prybar or some soft piece of plastic and start to work around the edges, you then kinda just wiggle it out, but don't yank it out too hard as you have wiring harness still attached,

alexgrigori likes this.
  10. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My mother in law was impressed with my Prius and opted to purchase her own gen 4 (Prius 4 with ATP)

She definitely wanted the applique kit, but I choose to give her the black Carbon fiber shifter treatment. I think it looks pretty nice!

Put in the black lower console applique kit and added another piece of kit that I found on ebay
    Fit Toyota Prius 2016 2017 Chrome Black Car Front S Console Cup Holder Trim | eBay

Attached Files:

11. alexgrigori

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks a lot! Should you'r going to take it of would you please film or picture the process.

12. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sent you a PM

13. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  14. bobthejedi

bobthejedi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here's some more photos of the overall look, second pic shows the bend, you cant really put it on the other trim as its too inset and the display hides it anyway
    IMG_4705.JPG IMG_4706.JPG

15. jae hoon

jae hoon New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looks really nice.

I will try to follow your great idea but in electric blue (tomorrow will have mine in white) :)

bobthejedi and RCO like this.
  16. Seaulater

Seaulater Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I watched some videos onhydrographics, after reading your post, how it could be done DIY and it was very interesting.
    Thank you for the idea. Never heard of it before!

17. alexgrigori

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
  18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's an interesting matte black cover that mimics the base Two and Two Eco models in the U.S.

Hip001 likes this.
  19. alexgrigori

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Nope, it is camo brown.

RCO and Tideland Prius like this.
  20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ooh. Fooled me there. That's pretty cool.