1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Voice Command not working properly. Screen goes black. Cancel NAV?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Starkie, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Starkie

Starkie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    1. Pressing the Voice Command button on the left hand side of the steering wheel only works when Audio is turned on. Is this correct?

2. Go Home from Voice Command replies "That request is not available at this time". Sometimes. And other times it works. Is this normal?

3. When Audio is on, and playing SAT, FM etc, using the SCAN feature works fine but the screen goes black after a second or two. Makes it hard to see the song/artist. Is there any way to change the screen so it stay on longer. Staying on forever and letting me choose SCREEN OFF would be even better. It's hard to stop the SCAN when the screen is black.

4. How do you cancel a Turn-by-Turn navigation prompt before reaching the destination?

I've looked at the books and videos and serched here but just can't find the answers to the above. Anyone?

2. Starkie

Starkie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe it's time to visit the service department?

3. Yogi56

Yogi56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "Pause Guidance" to stop turn by turn

4. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Relax, the nav is poor, get a Garmin Nuvi if you need it professionally.

5. Yogi56

Yogi56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We've had a good experience with the Nav so far. Could react to voice a little faster but not a big deal. The XM traffic works well and rerouted us around freeway traffic last night on the way home. Only complaint is the screen washing out in certain sun angles. I have a Garmin 765 in my 10' Xterra in the built in dash module, it works well also but the in dash bigger screen is nicer.

6. Starkie

Starkie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the responses everyone. :)

7. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    When you say GO HOME, you have to be in the mapping screen. If you're not, she will say that command isn't available. You can't GO HOME from the audio screen or any other screen showing other than the map.

Screen Black? I am kinda confused. Are your headlights on? Did you accidentally hit a display off button? Do you have the back screens set up to automatically revert to a different screen after 20 seconds? Or, screen goes black = did you start moving?

Press the destination button again to cancel routing - it says there at the top delete destination.

Wish you were closer. I'd invite you in to help you.

8. Starkie

Starkie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ^^^
    Thanks Diane.

I think you answered the Go Home question.

The screen goes black after only a few seconds, headlights on or off.
    After pressing SCAN and scanning the channels on the radio (FM, AM, SAT)
    I hear a piece of music that I like
    but the screen goes black
    so I can no longer see the SCAN icon at the bottom
    so I can's stop the scan at the station selected to enjoy the song.
    If the screen stayed on, I'd be able to stop the scan by hitting the SCAN button.
    Is there a way to have the screen stay on permanently and not go black until I do something explicit?

I'll try hitting the destination button again to cancel the turn-by-turn in progress.
    Will advise.

I lived in LA for 18 years but prefer the SF Bay Area having lived here for the last 20.
    But next time I drive down to there I'll be glad to stop by.
    Thanks for the kind offer.

ps
    Regarding the first question
    Pressing the Voice Command button on the left hand side of the steering wheel only works when Audio is turned on.
    I'm almost 100% sure it works sometimes when the Audio is off.
    It seems a bit inconsistent.
    Likewise, saying Go Home to Voice Command sometimes works even with NAV and everything else off when the Voice Command button does work.
    Make sense?

9. Starkie

Starkie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Had to drive the SRT-4 for a few days to get closer to 100K on Stage 3.
    Back to the Pri this morning.

"Press the destination button again to cancel routing - it says there at the top delete destination". That solved the problem. The thing that threw me was that it asked "Delete Destination". I thought that meant delete the destination completely. What it really means is for it to cancel the the current Turn-by-Turn navigation prompt. In other words stop it before reaching the destination. It works, yipee. The NAV system is pretty cool, at least as good as my old TomTom.

As for the Display Screen going black, I think they want us to program the radio station selections while parked and not while moving and then use Voice Command with the Select Up or Select Down to change the stations that have been pre-selected. Sort of Obama-Radio. Or is it Gingrich. Whatever. It kinds make sense now that I thought about it.

Everything is nirvana again. Must say I love the sound quality of the JBL. Really enhances all those cool background snaps and clicks on that Lionel Richie song All Night Long. I usually listen to EC. But this was on my Ann's IPOD. Diversity is good for me :)

Thanks everyone.

10. PriusTom61

PriusTom61 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

11. PriusTom61

PriusTom61 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    On my 2012 Prius V three, the voice command, blue tooth, entune apps were in operable. Also the raido screen went blace after vehical started up and would only stay on for a moment, going dark again after touching the hard buttons around the raido, First we unhooked the negative 12V battery cable for 15 seconds with no change. Second we unhooked both the positve and negative 12V battery cables and waited 15 seconds. Then, reattached the cables to the 12V battery, started the car up in both AUX and "full start". The screen remained on and is working properly. Good luck.