1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Voice recognition for bluetooth phone calls on 2013 Prius Two

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by D. Bennett, Nov 29, 2013.

1. D. Bennett

D. Bennett New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have just purchased a 2013 Prius Two and have just discovered that it doesn't support voice recognition for making phone calls via Bluetooth (there is no voice command button on the steering wheel). I had mistakenly assumed this was part of any Toyota that support Bluetooth hands free calling (since it is supported on my other two Toyotas). So I am curious if anyone knows if this can be added to the car after I have purchased it. I'm not interested in third party systems I want (and expect) this to be something that Toyota provides. Again I am just curious if it is possible for Toyota to make it work. Thanks in advance.

2. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm no expert but I do not think it can be added. I would talk to the dealer and see if they will do something and trade it in on a different package. I think you would have to go to a package III to get voice recognition.:(

3. cliffy1203

cliffy1203 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the model III and I have the voice recognition. However, my voice is kind of gravelly, and it really doesn't work very well at all. If you don't have a crystal clear voice, you are not missing very much.

4. D. Bennett

D. Bennett New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Retired and Cliffy... I figured it was related to the model or package... I'm just hoping to have as much info before I talk with the dealer. If anyone knows specifics about the model 2 and if it can support voice recognition let me know. The voice recognition works great for me in my other two Toyotas.

5. Diver Allen

Diver Allen Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've got a V model 2 and as far as I know - my BT does not support voice recognition. So, I just use the voice recognition of the phone. I know, not too elegant. Oh well. I sure would like to hear about it if you learn something new.

Allen

6. FredFlintstone

FredFlintstone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you don't mind having your smart phone mounted where you can actually access it, you can use the phone to initiates voice command. It certainly works with iPhones and I'm guessing it works with Android devices as well. I routinely use Siri to make phone calls, change playlists, send hands-free texts with a single push of the home button. While if prefer to punch something on the steering wheel, it's not at all inconvenient.

7. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To echo the others, prior to having a car that had the feature, I would just use the phone. Google Now on my Galaxy S3 was pretty good at calling my wife, which is basically the only call I'd have to make.

In fact, I still use Google Now for searching for numbers or addresses if I actually need one. It is easy enough to hit the mic button, tell it what I want, and then when I get to a light I can read it.

8. Badou

Badou New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don't have the voice command button, it cannot be added to the car. You could setup the speed dials (18 contacts)and they can be viewed and selected while the vehicle is in motion.

9. craigbeat

craigbeat New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know if you ever solved this, but there are two ways I could see you achieve this. These are based on using Android. If you use an app like Tasker (if you have a Moto X, you don't need to do this, as it's done already), you can detect when your phone connects to your car's bluetooth. You can then use an 'always listening' mode to say 'OK Google' and do what you need to do.

Alternatively, If you have the ability to 'auto dial' you can set a shortcut to dial, say, just the number 4 on your phone, which can then be interpreted by your phone (again using Tasker) to bring up the Google Now listening mode. This might be better as you won't need your phone to be charging all the time in the car.

If you have wireless charging, you can add a charge mat under the central console. This means you can throw your phone there, hook it up to bluetooth, and set it to always listen.

Hope this helps.