1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Voice Recognition with foreign accent

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by toyolover, Apr 14, 2012.

1. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    It has been more than 2 years and I am still very frustrated with the voice recognition. The problem is that the when I want to use the voice dialing, 90% of the time, the system interprets the number 4 as 0. But it will only mix up when the 4 appears in the area code. For example, when I say 416-123-4567, it will respond as 016-123-4567. Other numbers are responding correctly. In general, it is very unreliable in responding correctly to my number 4. My English is very fluent but with a very slight Chinese accent. The worst part is when I took the car and tried to show the problem to the service supervisor (with him in the car), the system will respond to my number 4 or 9 correctly.
    Recently, I have bought my complaint to the dealer again. This time, the service supervisor who is also Chinese, told me that many Chinese customers have complained about the same problem. However, there is no software update on the system to address this problem.
    I am wondering if anyone in the forum who has foreign accent also experience this problem.
    Does anyone has a solution that may work?

2. HaveNoCents

HaveNoCents Conservative Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't have an accent and my 2012 Prius v doesn't understand most of my commands. It always gets the numbers correct, but that's it. My 2011 understands all of my speech. 2012 speech recognition has taken zero steps forward, and about 10 steps back.

1 person likes this.
  3. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It doesn't work any better with English in my experience.

All a bit odd since it is a Japanese car. I wonder how the voice recognition works in Japan.

1 person likes this.
  4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think you need to experiment with how to pronounce things for the car. On my Gen2, I have to say "sev degrees" in order for it to understand "seventy degrees". It seems to understand "go home" much better than just "home". My favorite one is "I've got to go" was answered with "displaying gas station icons".

There was a computer program back in about 1965 that copied files from one place to another. One documented command was "Disk to Disk". The author demonstrated to me that it not only understood English, but was actually bilingual. He demonstrated that "Disco a Disco" also worked. The actual logic was to look at the first letter of the first word, skip the next word, and look at the first letter of the third word. It seems that voice recognition is at the same level of development as word recognition was back in 1965...

1 person likes this.
  5. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    For two years, I have tried almost any possible way to get it to recognize the number 4. It includes "Four.......","For", yelling at it at top of my lung, a lot of number combinations, etc. Some combinations seem to work but in most cases, it would get it as number 0 when the 4 appears in the first 3 digits. But it frustrates me most is that it seems to work when the car is not in motion or when I ask my local friends to test it. I don't think it is my very slight accent as the cause because it gets it correct sometimes.

May be it is the microphone location that is affecting it. I would love to hear the responses from those with French accent, Japanese accent or other foreign language accent owners.

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is Commander Lt. Pavel Checkov
    Authorization code Whictor Whictor 23 Access Stereo
    Authorization code NOT Recognized!
    Authorization code Wh, wvi, vic tor W.
    awh, screw it! Where is mine Ipod!

1 person likes this.
  7. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Love your conclusion.
    Live Long and Prosper.
    Lieutenant Sulu, signing off forever from Prius Voice Command System. :)

8. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I used to work with guys who were working on voice recognition. I didn't do the work myself, but I picked up a lot of what they saw as problems.

Concentrating on how a machine can recognize the word "four". It's made up of 3 parts, "fff", "oh", and "err". If the "fff" and "err" are dismissed as noise, then the clue that remains is an "oh", or the number zero if we are expecting a digit. To find out if the "err" is part of the recognition, you could experiment with the sound of "foe". Or maybe "foe", "err". In English, machine recognition of the difference between "fore", "poor", and "thore" is difficult. They all have a burst of sound at the beginning. Understanding the difference is easier if there is some calibration available from other speech from the same person. But untrained recognition is going to be, well, poor (pun intended).

You might try "thore" and "poor" instead of "four". I think the machine isn't picking up on the "fff" sound, so making it more explosive might help.

1 person likes this.
  9. seek

seek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Have you tried with someone about the same size sit in the passenger seat?

Maybe the mic is picking up echos from the empty seat but it works when someone is sitting there and absorbing the sound?

1 person likes this.
  10. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Thanks very much for your suggestion.
    I spent 5 years in the southern state of Louisiana in my university days so I think when my southern accent (which some Canadians may found I still have a little) mixed with my native accent (which I think is slight) screw up the brain of the computer. I just wish the Toyota software has a built-in learning module like the Dragon software.
    I appreciate your comments and will try it again.

11. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    As I said, even with me using the voice recognition, it would work 10% of the time. The chance of it working is 70% or more if the car is not in motion. I don't have any problem with other numbers except the 4 and the 4 only screws up with it appears in the first three digits (area code).

I will try to talk directly to the mic next time and see if it makes any difference.

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got really ticked off with the system not recognizing my commands so I started talking with an angry Japanese accent. I half expected the car to just quit running and leave me stranded. LOL

13. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    You said that it works better when your Prius is stopped. Speech algorithms tend to be sensitive to background noise so try using a Bluetooth headset that has a noise cancelling microphone and see if the performance improves.

JeffD

1 person likes this.
  14. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    You could be right about the noise cancelling feature which the OEM microphone may not have.
    I am wondering if the OEM microphone can be upgraded. Anyone knows?

15. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think any noise cancelling system built, would be built around the specific characteristics the mic they plan to use in the system. To replace, you would a mic with similar characteristics. Since the noise cancelling system is not adjustable, it might be an interesting experiment, albeit an expensive one!

16. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Voice recognition is a pita. There are so many different accents and pronunciations out there in the English language and unless you speak with a Californian accent you haven't a hope.

Example is the guy earlier who said 'four' is made of fff - oh. How about fff -orrr? or fff -rrroh?

I don't want to talk to my car and I don't want it to talk to me! lol