1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Voice Recognition

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Gen 2 Tom, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I got the new Prius a few months ago, I spent some time training and using the voice recognition. I couldn't get much reliable operation. Suri on the other hand finds my contacts perfectly. I thought I got it to respond to the command for a radio station number. But I'm in two different area's so I have 30 stations programed, and haven't memorized all the station numbers. So for now I'm manually scrolling up and down from the steering wheel.

Is there any voice commands that work well? Any tricks you can share?

2. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nobody finding anything the voice can do reliable? Not surprising, I couldn't.

FF/Medic likes this.
  3. FF/Medic

FF/Medic Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a similar problem that you described with my 2016 Prius Four. I called Toyota who said to visit a Toyota dealer. The dealer has no resolution and refuses to put anything in writing that they are unable to repair this issue. More info on this and other 2016 Gen 4 electronic issues posted here: Did Toyota delete the mph/kph selection in the speedometer of your US 2016 Prius?

4. grape808

grape808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I only tried "Play Album" and that worked fine. I like scrolling through my usb manually before I start driving though so I only used it once to see if it worked. It would be handy if the album I pick before I drive runs out of songs but that hasn't happened yet.

5. nb01

nb01 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I made the mistake of using it to dial once. Even if it recognized words well, it takes so long to get through the menus that it is far less distracting to use Google Assistant. Yes, it is pretty awful.

RCO likes this.
  6. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I just say e.g. "call jim mobile" and it works a treat. I think using Siri to take the commands is a bit quicker however.

RCO likes this.
  7. VTBIGDOG

VTBIGDOG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I found more success with voice recognition when I spoke rather softly as opposed to hollering like you're trying to speak to somebody on the phone.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  8. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I only use it to change Radio Stations and Sources. I have found it to be quite reliable for that. My standard phrase is "Tune to [Source] [Channel or Frequency]".

krmcg and RCO like this.