1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volkswagen ID.4 Official Thread

Discussion in 'Volkswagen AG Hybrids and EVs' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And that's the RWD model. We'll have to see what the AWD model will be rated at. VW has been cagey on it so I suspect there'll be a drop in the 250 mile range for AWD.

Supposedly March is delivery for the US. No Canadian pricing or specs yet - "Summer 2021" is the launch date. (which is July-Sep in the industry)

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sadly, deal breaker for me is the TOTAL lack of physical/tactile controls. Is that just Luddite talk; the iPad tombstone in the dash, for EVERYTHING, is a fait accompli?

Merkey likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are buttons and sliders (a pad on the left for headlights/parking lights/foglights/front and rear defroster) and sliders for temp/volume and actual buttons for some menus items (MENU, CLIMA, AUDIO and one other)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    For me that isn’t a deal breaker in and of itself.
    Just as with physical controls, I need to sit in the car and see/use the layout of the UI.
    How much is/can be controlled by voice?
    How thoughtful and easy is it to get to frequently used controls?
    Etc, etc...

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah. The Gen 2’s controls were the easier. Granted most of the controls were on the steering wheel. But I could at least rest my wrist on the base of the screen surround. On the Gen 3, I could rest my wrist on the shifter to operate the climate control or MFD. With the Prime, there’s nowhere to rest my wrist so there’s no point of reference. For me, the Prime’s interface is harder to use while driving. On the plus side, there are redundant menus in the MID so I could use the right directional pad to operate the MID instead of the MFD.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    #27 Tideland Prius, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    #30 hill, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Reviewer repeatedly says (paraphrasing) “this is a wagon for the folks”. (y)

Interesting. Not that enamoured of the dash, but that’s what’s ubiquitous now I guess. White interior too, though that’s maybe just one option.

#31 Mendel Leisk, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  11. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Like the looks. Like the stalks. Don't like the charging infrastructure. Nor the infotanement system. Don't like the immature OTA updates. And hate the dealerships. Owned 2 VWs. 3 Porsches. 4 of the 6 were disasters. Ah but those last 2 Porsches....

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I won't be buying this because of VW's cheating, but you have left some details out. Their price was for the limited 1st edition model; the ID.4 Pro starts at around the same price as the Model Y. The VW was tested in 40F weather, and the Tesla in 75F.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The white steering wheel and accents are only on the 1st edition. Regular models get an all black interior. We do not get the black/brown interior that’s available in Europe.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like a wonderful new entry into the BEV marketplace built by an influential manufacture in the automotive area.
    Just out of curiosity I visited the VW site to see and learn more and it appears the Premium level of this vehicle is already sold out in the US. They are still accepting orders on the base model.

Very exciting news and thank you for bringing this vehicle to my attention

Tideland Prius and Zythryn like this.
  15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They sold out of the 1st edition, which was a limited run with some unique features(like the interior color). VW is taking reservations for the Pro and Pro S trims now. Later this year, a shorter range trim will be available.

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am not impressed:
    upload_2021-3-20_4-8-10.png

Build and sell the electrified MicroBus and I'll visit a VW dealer. Otherwise, nothing.

Bob Wilson

17. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

You really want that amount of crush space in front of your legs? Do you have Tiger's doctors on speed dial?

Seriously, what would the crash tests look like? I've seen cases where the kid from across the street's driver's side front wheel dented the driver's seat frame. Or cases where the engine was spit out under the cab's floor because it was designed that way. New designs address the first but could a bus pass the offset crash test? And the second, without that engine to absorb some power as it broke away ...

18. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mike you are making me nostalgic. Rode across the Western USA in an old beat up VW van in my younger years.

Growing up I can remember Billboard VW adds for a brand new VW Beatle for $1998.

Talking about dangerous vehicles When I was in the Service and just stationed in Nebraska at Offutt AFB I was able to pick up a 1968 Chevy C10 step side pickup with a 4 speed and 250 inline 6 at a State of Nebraska Surplus Agriculture Department Auction. The gas tank was directly behind the driver in the passenger cab. You could always tell how much gas you had by the sloshing sound the gas made in the tank as you drove on uneven surfaces.

Could you imagine doing a modern crash test on an old Corvair or Pinto - They would probably have to evacuate the testing facility and have a fire department on standby.

There were some fascinating cars years ago my personal favorite a Ford Falcon.

19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With airbags and modern design I think a Microbus could be made to at least pass the crash tests. Like the smart fortwo, it would need a safety cage that would direct forces around the passenger space to the rear area. This is probably the delay in bringing it out.