1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Volkswagen Responds To VDA's Hydrogen/eFuels

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Oct 30, 2020.

1. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Guildford, UK, November 2, 2020 - Linde (NYSE: LIN; FWB: LIN) announced it will start producing green hydrogen at its plant in Ontario, California, supporting the growing needs of hydrogen mobility customers in the region. :D:D:D

jzchen likes this.
  2. t_newt

t_newt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting. According to this, they use reforming of natural gas to make 'grey' hydrogen at this plant. To make 'green' hydrogen, they will use methane from landfills as the source of fuel for the reforming.

Actually I read here that 'green' hydrogen comes from electrolysis using electricity from renewable sources such as wind or solar. If it comes from from reformed natural gas, it is 'grey' hydrogen. If it comes from natural gas, and the C02 is captured in the process, or if it comes from biogas, it should be called 'blue' hydrogen.

So I think, technically, Linde is starting to produce blue hydrogen at this Ontario plant.

3PriusMike likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Landfill gas is considered green. As it comes from decomposing organic matter we threw away, the majority of the carbon in it was carbon already in the carbon cycle. As oppose to natural gas's carbon that has been locked out of the cycle for millions of years. Landfill gas power plants are considered renewable for the purpose of green power for electrolysis.

Steam reforming landfill gas is more energy efficient than electrolysis. It is also a limited resource. Not going to be enough of it for hydrogen if it takes off like the proponents continue to say. And it will be yet another ten years before green electrolysis reaches price parity with steam reformed natural gas.

4. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is a good start.
    What will the cost per mile be in the Mirai once you have to pay for the fuel?

Mike

5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I’ll let you know in 3 years!!! :D:D;)

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That is easy:
    As of Oct 1 2020 numbers
    1 Fuel cell cars sold and leased 8654
    2 Fuel cell busses 48
    3 Hydrogen stations in CA 42

Source: By The Numbers | California Fuel Cell Partnership

Source_2: COSTS AND FINANCING | H2 Station Maps
    • Stations that use hydrogen delivered as a gas have an average storage of 180 kg/day and an estimated the total cost of $2 million ...
    • Stations that use hydrogen delivered as a liquid have an average storage of 350 kg/day and estimated total construction and commissioned cost of $2.8 million
    • Stations that make hydrogen onsite from electrolysis of water have an average storage of 120 kg/day and estimated total constructed and commissioned cost of $3.2 million
    ... the California Air Resources Board provides a $5,000 rebate for California residents who purchase or lease an FCEV. To encourage deployment of ZEVs among all populations, consumers with household incomes less than or equal to 300 percent of the federal poverty level receive an additional $2,000 rebate.

So we can calculate the range of station and capital cost per vehicle as of October 2020:
    • $9,652.95 ~= ($2,000,000 * 42) / (8654 + 48)
      • $14652.25 ~= $9652.25 + $5000
    • $15,447.25 ~= ($3,200,000 * 42) / (8654 + 48)
      • $20447.25 ~= $15447.25 + $5000
    I do not regret the outstanding California subsidizes to fuel cell vehicle owners. Those owners have gotten a great deal. But not every state is as generous. Then there is the operational costs:
    • ~$2/kg - steam generated hydrogen (roll back associated threads)
    • ~$15/kg - electrolysis generate hydrogen
    So I'm fairly sanguine about the California experiment because I live in Alabama. Today's best numbers suggests hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are unlikely to become popular in Dixie.

Bob Wilson

#26 bwilson4web, Nov 4, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    3PriusMike likes this.
  7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not uncommon to recover CO2 from nat gas reforming H2 plants. It is very pure CO2 and can be used for beverages and anything else, and probably sequestered quite economically (compared to coal or maybe even nat gas). Need to review my stoichiometry but I am thinking nat gas H2 manufacture has the benefit of less CO2 made and high quality.

As far as elelctrolytic "green" H2 I am thinking there are two benefits (1) eco-preferred by some and (2) I am thinking high purity. Reforming H2 can be quite high purity too but I am starting to get the impression fuel cells need ultra-super duper high purity.

hill likes this.
  8. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Delaying the release until you sip a beverage doesn't negate the fact that is was produced from making H2, no?

Mike

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, the CO2 and hydrogen need to be separated from each other either way. Actually recovering the CO2 depends on whether there is a market for it. Are food plants or cattle lots(our beef system and cattle diet results in upset cow tummies, they drink a lot of soda water to ease the discomfort, might be more than what people drink) close enough to justify the costs.

Then the US does sequester more CO2 than anyone else, but virtually all it goes into the ground to get more oil up. Putting carbon into the ground without getting more out means higher cost for the hydrogen.

Yes, PEM fuel cells used by Toyota and other FCEVs on the road require hydrogen of research purity. It doesn't take much CO to poison the catalyst, and that is by product during steam reformation.

There is a third benefit. If we move away from fossil fuels, we'll need hydrogen for fertilizer.
    No, it doesn't, but it does make it less costly to truly sequester than separating and collecting the CO2 from the exhaust of a natural gas power plant.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well that's not really the problem ...probably only a small commercial food need for CO2 compared to what is being made.