1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volkswagen To Bring Back Push Buttons On Steering Wheels

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Tideland Prius, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    jerrymildred likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    At least a first step, acknowledgement they've made a dangerous "improvement". Take it further, actually TEST these controls. Monitor how long the driver has to take his eyes off the road, say to change the H/V system from full auto to the the mode that directs air primarily to the windshield.

Even WITH buttons, there's no way I can accomplish that on our 2010, without a protracted eyes-OFF-the-road gander:

1. Look down and to the right, find the H/V mode button, in a row of uniform, smooth-faced buttons.
    2. Reach down, get a finger on it.
    3. Push button, and check LCD display to see what it's gone to (likely Vent).
    4. Push button again, and again check LCD display. Repeat as needed. Don't go to fast, or you'll go past it, have to run through them all again.

I pine for our mid-eighties Honda's, with the dials and sliders with detents. You could set anything you wanted, purely by touch, eyes on the road the whole time.

Maybe governments need to get off their duffs and legislate some common sense in this regard.

Our new-and-improved apple tv is the same btw (it was a present). Old one you clicked where you wanted to go/do; new one, just pick the damn thing up and chances are you're going somewhere you don't want to go. Newer ones reverted, ditched the clever touch/swipe crap.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Who thought touch sensitive buttons were a good idea to put on an object a driver's hands are suppose to be all the time?

Zythryn and Tideland Prius like this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This review I saw recently had nothing good at all to saw about the controls on the ID.4. That would be an absolute deal breaker for me. No way would I put up with that.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    • Cheaped out on power window switches on the driver’s door
    • Sliding ventilation controls that aren’t backlit
    • Laggy MFD software
    • No power button required to start/stop

The ID.4 and Space Vizzion concepts were on my list of EVs to purchase but the things I listed above will get annoying to me after a while.

Why is the start/stop thing a problem not a convenience? It shuts off every time I leave the seat, even if I walk around to load things in the back. Or I’m cleaning the interior of the car or any other time I’m getting in and out of the driver’s seat (yes that’s just accessory mode until I depress the brake pedal) but I don’t need the car constantly turning on and off.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    tl:dr Because, Tesla.

ICE cars have the button, because having the engine turning on and off all the time under those situations isn't good for it. Start up with minimal oil in place is where much of the wear happens in the engine. This isn't an issue in a BEV. Just opening the door on any car will bring on the cabin lights, so this isn't exactly extra drain on the 12V battery.

Not having a button is only a problem if the car doesn't automatically apply the parking brake, and many newer cars of all types do that. Otherwise, it is just something that needs getting use too, says the person that tried using a foot parking brake on a car, they've had for 6 months, that doesn't one just last week.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. but I don’t need the radio or media playing every time I sit in the driver’s seat.

Also manufacturers are removing tonneau covers too. Because the Model Y doesn’t have one? Argh.

Oh I’m sure they all apply the parking brake because it’s assumed you’re parking the car. It’s not the safety part I’m concerned about, it’s the supposed convenience for one scenario at the expense of other scenarios.

8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I made an EPB discovery today on my Bolt EUV. I got one of those ratcheting arms for the scissors jack to make it easier to raise the car and change a tire. I chose the left rear to test it. Once it was off the ground in my level garage, the back wheel spun freely. When I first got the jack and tested it in my sloping (but not steep) driveway, I seem to remember that the rear wheel was locked. I'll have to verify that when I get a chance. The manual isn't really clear. It just says the parking brake my set in certain situations.

BTW, that ratchet arm for the jack is pretty clever. Seems like $13 well spent should I ever need to change a tire on the road. :D

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I wasn't sure what level of accessory on you meant. One key notch or button push until the car is put in gear isn't a big deal, turning on everything whenever you sit down can get old.Is this something that can be adjusted in settings?
    Or using a really flimsy one. That's just being cheap. If you know you aren't going to use it, it would be nice to make a real option. I'd also like to see that for floor mats. They overcharge for them, and most third party all weather ones have more coverage.

That one Jeep didn't have it.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m basing this off my understanding of how those systems work. My EV still has a Power button and works like a regular car.

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Some of my cars wouldn't turn on everything in the accessory mode. Had to be in Run for the radio or windows.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohhh I see. Fair enough.

The EV6 cycles through ACC —> IG-ON —> OFF. ACC runs the radio and IG-ON adds the fan and windows. Same as Toyota.