1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volkswagen to Introduce 70 mpg Diesel-Electric Hybrid Golf

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by SyCo, Feb 26, 2008.

1. tumbler

tumbler New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I ran a 2001 Jetta diesel to 150,000-miles and never had a problem with it. Tight, quiet, and a great handling car. Made the 800-mile club on a single tank of diesel using the vent trick. Sold it and now drive a 06 Jetta diesel. Still no propblems, rock solid, and I never smell diesel on my hands. Based on my experience with diesels, several of my friends have bought Jettas and they are having the same experience. It is quiet and nothing has ever broken on either of them. They just run as long as you add Bunker C to them.

I have always wondered why a diesel hybrid could not be made and now VW is going to make one. I am glad to see VW moving in that direction. BTW, my 06 Jetta, loaded with four adults and packed to the roof with luggage routinely makes the run from Knoxville to Kiawah Island and averages 47-MPG. If I were by myself, it would average about 50-MPG and that is in the dead of summer with the AC on.

The VW dealer has the best service organization I have ever experienced. I was getting ready to pounce on a Prius but if VW really comes out with a hybrid, I see no reason to do so. Ever.

2. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Diesel is priced higher than gasoline for the same reason that 100 proof Bourbon is priced higher than 80 proof.

More "kick"...!!

3. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TDI engines, as other turbodiesel, don't appreciate start-stops very well;
    Diesel engines are heavy, complex and expensive, and with many parts prone to wear;
    Toyota is 15 years ahead in producing/selling hybrids

Your choice was? :D

4. dmarc34

dmarc34 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Volkswagen to Introduce 70 mpg Diesel-Electric Hybrid Golf UPDATE

In fact, in UE test cycle, the 2010 prius emits only 89 g/km. It's the previous model that emits 104 g/km.

So this Golf is not better than the Prius in terms of CO2

Regards

5. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually diesel fuel was always cheaper than gasoline up until the second so called fuel shortage for which OPEC was blamed. At that time mostly trucks burned diesel, because it produced POWER and was cheaper than gas. Suddenly several auto companies started producing diesel cars and after a few years diesel fuel became more expensive. Why? I don't know, taxes, greed, gov't interferance or tighter specs. Who knows? Diesel may still be cheaper in a few states, Wyoming, for one. I have not been thru there for a while so I'm not sure. I have driven 4 different diesels over the years and I found all of them economical, powerful, from the VW Bug to the Jetta to the German Golf. Not dirty, smelly or noisy. :D

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, diesels still stink, no doubt about that. Just much less than in the past.

I have my doubts that a diesel-hybrid will be a commercial success because of the cost. Diesel by itself is cheaper, or at least no more expensive than a hybrid, and as OP mentioned is competitive in highway fuel economy to a hybrid. People who want exceptional city fuel economy will not run to pay a double premium.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have always assumed it was supply/demand, and increased refinery costs to desulphurize the fuel to meet current pollution control device requirements.