1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volt 2.0: Ruess "It will leap-frog... the competition"

Discussion in 'GM Hybrids and EVs' started by Jeff N, Oct 1, 2014.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    MPGe takes account of the charging loss. That's why I removed it to find out the actual capacity that battery is storing.

If I don't remove charging loss, it would be 16.85 kWh usage from 18.4 kWh pack. 92% depth.

Zythryn likes this.
  2. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    We don't yet know that level of detail but you are right that it implies something like a 75-78% SOC range which is quite a bit higher than GM has used before.

On the other hand, Ford has also been using a fairly aggressive 74%+ SOC range in the Energi but with a much smaller battery pack size.

Larger packs don't need to survive as many full charging cycles in order to last 150,000 miles or whatever a target lifetime might be. For example, 150,000 miles of EV driving in the PiP implies over 13,000 full charge cycles using the EPA estimate but less than 3,000 cycles for the 2016 Volt pack.

This is why Tesla can get away with using 90% SOC range to get 250+ miles of range since 150,000 / 250 is only 600 full charge cycles. Similar things apply to the Chevy Bolt and other next generation EVs with 200+ mile range.

Meanwhile, battery makers like LG have been learning how to improve the cycle lifetimes of their cells through better quality control of the cathode and anode component particles, particle coating treatments, and newer electrolyte additives.

San_Carlos_Jeff likes this.
  3. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Good point. But while numerically interesting and probably technically correct, it is a non-real world situation that won't likely come into play. It would be incredibly difficult in a first generation PiP to get to 150,000 miles EV. At one charge per day average and average 11 miles EV range per charge, that's over 37 years of driving. Even the longest EV range documented by a Volt 1st generaton driver isn't 2/3 there.

Hopefully, PHEV/BEV enthusiasts are buying the correct vehicle with appropriate battery capacity to their driving needs. The just right mama bear sizing philosophy makes sense.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Aha, got it, I'm on board now.

5. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Good points John. With the release of the gen2 Volt, GM would have done their research on making the latest gen more to the masses. If (a BIG if) GM reviewed all the short comings from gen1 and formulated a path forward - great. But, what I am seeing there is NO lessons learned with gen1.

On the other hand, I can't say I am surprised GM did NOT refine their market stratergy prior to the market release with gen2.

This furthers my belief that the Volt never was, isn;t, and never will be a product for the masses. The Volt, once again, got GM what they wanted: a U.S. taxpayer bailout.

From that stand point, the Volt has indeed been hugely successful!

GM got taxpayers' money, Treasury Dept "forgave" the remaining balance of the bailout. GM is free and clear on the bailout AND the U.S. taxpayer get left holding the bag of billions of "forgave" balance.

What a country!!!

DBCassidy

6. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I guess the only way for the Volt to get some love around here is for it to become a fuel cell vehicle.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Or make a practical midsize that is as clean as Prius, statewide.

Malibu hybrid is a great alternative but no one is talking about it. People just talk about how long Volt's EV range is and how they can fit into their commute. Government does not give any incentive to a great car like Malibu hybrid.

If Volt is a clean as Mirai or even Prius statewide, I'll be praising it.

dbcassidy likes this.
  8. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Are you sure about that? I assume by "clean" you mean the EPA combined gas/electric upstream tailpipe emissions calculation on fueleconomy.gov.

I expect the 2016 Volt to be about the same as a 50 mpg Prius which is 218g per mile when using US average grid electricity.

On the CA grid it will probably be below 170g combined or 65+ mpg carbon equivalent.

#428 Jeff N, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    Zythryn and Trollbait like this.
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This isn't so, anything else said needs to be in the politics section.
    The grid can get cleaner. Petroleum based fuels can not.
    Renewable fuels for ICE cars are possible, but producing them in the amounts to completely replace petroleum based ones will require a massive reduction in ICE fuel consumption from the nation's fleet. Plugging cars in is likely the only way to achieve that.

There is simply less known about the Malibu hybrid at this point; since it is coming out after the Volt.
    The Volt is simply more exciting than another mid-size hybrid sedan at this point.
    GM did address major complaints of the first gen.
    • "It didn't get the 40 miles EV range they targeted" - It now goes 53 miles on grid power.
    • "It uses premium gas" - not anymore.
    • "It isn't that fuel efficient" - it now gets 42mpg combine. To head it off, how many cars get 50mpg combined like the Prius.
    • "Only four seats" - There is now a fifthish seat. Enough for a car seat or small person, but no true compact car is going to be bought to carry 5 adults on longer trips than going out to lunch.
    • "It's too expensive" - it is $10k less than the first gen on release.

10. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Obviously the love comment was made in jest. (Loving any car or car maker is not recommended.) As far as EV or PHEV vehicles go, the only "clean" part the car controls is when not operating on electricity. So I assume your praise is modulated based on percentage of EV operation (as mine is).

11. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Maybe the problem is with the masses and not the product? (Some humor, some seriousness)

I remember many years ago in Prius Chat where the similar discussion was how GM would never actually bring the Volt to market. GM certainly had killed off anything that was not a gas guzzler in those days. However, they actually did bring it to market. Even more surprising is they brought it to the national market. Then they continue to pursue improving it. GM has a lot of sins to account for. The Volt is not one of them.

Trollbait, fotomoto and Jeff N like this.
  12. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No problem with the masses, but there is with the product - it has not made a hit with the masses. Ask any Chevy dealer about the Volt moving off the lot. Again the sin as you have mentioned is the GM marketing, they just not committed to make it for the Volt mainstream.

DBCassidy

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I see the new Volt achieving sales equal to the second tier hybrids.

14. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good for you!

DBCassidy

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Over promise, under deliver.

A plug-in called Volt was indeed delivered, but it wasn't what we were promised.

dbcassidy likes this.
  16. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I thought you were moving on and looking ahead to the new generation of PHEVs?

In any case, the key elements were in line with what I was personally expecting except for the series vs parallel transmission detail which is an irrelevant detail to me.

1. The EV range met the 40 mile 2007 EPA city cycle target they talked about in 2007.

2. The hybrid gas mpg was a bit disappointing but was adequate at 40 mpg highway which is mostly when I use it.

3. Drives quiet, smooth, and with good acceleration. EV driving is much more pleasant and relaxing than a gas engine car. Scheduled maintenance is about the same as an EV-only car.

4. The price was at the high side of what was hinted at but this was all new powertrain and battery tech and I personally wasn't surprised that it came out a bit high in 2011.

Now, all the good stuff has been retained or improved and MSRP is down $10,000 from the initial first generation price when adjusted for inflation.

The EV range is now 53 miles combined city/highway. Hybrid mpg is 42 mpg combined after the battery runs out.

EPA estimated and utility factor adjusted EV and gasoline full upstream emissions will likely be 50+ mpg carbon equivalent on US average grid electricity. EV-only is about 54 mpg carbon equivalent on US average grid and will be much better in states with cleaner electricity, renewable power options, or with rooftop solar.

The 2016 Volt is a well-rounded compact commuter and small family car that can efficiently use renewable power for about the price of a non-plugin Prius after credits and rebates.

Awesome.

#436 Jeff N, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    Trollbait likes this.
  17. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Meanwhile the market gets more crowded and completely surrounds GM, boxing them in. Bad timing, bad marketing, no short or long term planning for the Volt spells and smalls of "a car that was never meant to be"

This in one of GMs' many ill timed business cases being studied in business schools " How not to launch a product"
    DBCassidy

DBCassidy

18. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when does it hit the showrooms?

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, CO2 tailpipe and upstream. Also, the CARB emission certificate which has NOx, CO, PM, etc and the evaporate emission. We'll wait to see the official results.

In grand theme of scheme, Gen2 Volt gas engine is going to be as efficient as the Lexus CT200h. However, there is a massive incentives between the two cars. Talk about a waste of tax payer money, as plugin supporters criticize of hydrogen incentives. After 5 years of incentives, it looks like there is 5 more years to go.

Hybrid were able to sustain sales despite the incentive removal. We'll have to see how the plugins will do.