1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volt 2.0: Ruess "It will leap-frog... the competition"

Discussion in 'GM Hybrids and EVs' started by Jeff N, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    While I'm no big fan of the Volt.....or even GM lately......that just isn't true.
    It is a PLUGIN Hybrid so you can state just about any MPG figure that you want.

IF......your daily commute is less than the battery threshold so that the gas engine ONLY runs every 6 months to burn out some stale gas, then you could rightfully claim an MPG figure in the thousands, and many do. And it is just as meaningless as 230.

2. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    And it does!

That claim was based on a proposed, but not final, EPA calculation that took into account the EV range of the car as well as the hybrid gas mileage. Although the EPA withdrew that proposal the European NEDC estimates do include a similar (but not identical) calculation. On that NEDC combined EV/HV estimate, the 2011 Volt/Ampera gets 235 mpg (Imperial gallon) or 196 mpg (US gallon).

However, GM has incrementally improved the battery capacity and EV range since then but hasn't bothered to recertify the official NEDC numbers. If they were to redo the estimate today based on the 2015 Volt it would probably be around 300 mpg (US).

See:

Chervrolet Volt 2016 - what if... | Page 2 | PriusChat

I'm still pretty durn happy. :)

#62 Jeff N, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2014
  3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Ahem.
    The proposal was all GM; when GM withdrew the proposal after public ridicule, EPA canceled further consideration.

The sequence of events and EPA protocols does make it easy for manufacturers and fanbois to spin things as if the EPA was the instigator, but reality is different and known to anybody who bothers to learn how the EPA operates.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There's no point of advertising anything over 100 MPG.

It only servers to confuse & mislead, since the return beyond that point drops off significantly:

[​IMG]

That real problem is not informing people of actual KWH and GALLONS consumed.... which some Volt owners absolutely refuse to do, focusing on EV miles instead... which does not represent a true measure of fuel-economy, nor does MPG.

5. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    You seem to know more about the specific historical details than I do. Can you share a source URL?

In any case, a similar NEDC calculation was adopted and has been in place for several years. Is it misleading? YES!

But only if you aren't given the context for what the number means (sadly, this context has often been left out by automotive journalists although they seem to be improving recently). The EPA's 37 mpg combined hybrid mode estimate would similarly be misleading if not placed into the context of the Volt's rechargeable battery range.

In its proper context, this kind of composite number is useful and gets across the point that many buyers may be able to greatly reduce their overall gasoline consumption. There are plenty of Volt drivers on VoltStats.net that average 230 mpg total gasoline consumption.

#65 Jeff N, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There is no proper context. We all know the variance within EPA testing results and real-world vary dramatically. Beyond 100 MPG, that variance can be greater than the value itself.

A consumer choosing a 300 MPG vehicle over one listed at 230 MPG may not use any less gas, based on how the vehicle is actually used. And even if they did get exactly what the sticker states for testing results, that's only a difference of 15 gallons over the course of 15,000 miles. That's just 450 miles of travel for a 30 MPG vehicle. That same "70 MPG" difference equates to 350 gallons of gas when comparing that same 30 MPG vehicle to one which delivers 100 MPG instead. That's 10,500 miles of travel for the 30 MPG vehicle.

Context is far from clear and will basically never be represented properly in terms of MPG. The only appropriate method is stating KWH and GALLONS. For example:

300 MPG for 15,000 miles = 50 gallons
    230 MPG for 15,000 miles = 65 gallons
    100 MPG for 15,000 miles = 150 gallons
    75 MPG for 15,000 miles = 200 gallons
    30 MPG for 15,000 miles = 500 gallons

Notice how higher MPG doesn't actually make much of a difference? Notice how that MPG is achieved is not told?

Then, there's the reality of how far a person travels before recharging. That makes comparisons even between like vehicles unrealistic. Between different vehicles, it's even more difficult. Since it takes a lot more battery usage to compensate for a less efficient engine, that mismatch complicates matters tremendously. It's a mess!

How could vehicles appropriately depict efficiency without having kWh quantity information?

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Why, by quoting the ever so asinine MPG(e), of course !

usbseawolf2000 and john1701a like this.
  8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    nice. The volt has the highest user satisfaction of any gm vehicle.

It seems to people most unhappy with the volt are people that bought other cars, or have a political agenda.

From the on-star data average mileage is going 100 miles on a gallon of gas plus 22 kwh of electricity. 82% of trips use no gas at all, so ymmv depending a great deal on the route and how often you recharge (how many trips between charing, or if charging during trips how much)

I expect the next generation will use even less gallons of gasoline per year for the same usage patterns.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That is one horrible stat.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Really? That's amazing! :eek:

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OK, but the stat should be put in context: we are mostly talking about people who like EV and who took advantage of cheap lease deals for ~ 3 years.

And yes, much the same can be said of the PiP

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow! That is horrible.

My 100-mile average is 1.36 gallons plus 9.1 kWh.

I had no idea Volt was so much less efficient. What a great example of MPG being misleading! Are you sure that is correct?

#72 john1701a, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Really ? I thought it was obvious from the moment the actual EPA numbers were published. For a while I pointed out to Volt fanbois that they were going to save trivial to no money on fuel costs but reality is not their strong suit.

And while I can understand the 'electricity rather than petrol' stance, my strong impression of the Volt demographic is that their other cars are GM gas guzzlers. Meaning they are basically FOS. Not exactly a demographic to base an industry on.

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Exactly, more MPG does not mean higher fuel economy. Average Volt efficiency is 60.5 MPGe while yours is 61.4 MPGe. My first year average was 75 MPGe.

Another way of saying, more EV range does not mean higher fuel economy.

The electric economy (or the lack of) brings down the overall efficiency down, along with lower gas efficiency.

High speed with battery operation isn't a good idea. First, it takes a long time to charge. Second, the battery pack, motor and electronics for that speed add a lot of weight. Third, you indirectly pay with lower gas efficiency, later. Oh, and higher price tag for a smaller car.

For some, downsizing to a 4 seater was worth the surefooted heavy SUV-like ride. They also think electricity is free with zero emission. Can't reason with them.

15. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    The last time I pulled together my own 12-month average driving my Volt was for July 2012 to July 2013. I averaged 130 MPGe EV (or about 260 Wh per mile) and 46.38 mpg HV with an EV/HV ratio of 68%/32% so my overall combined result was 82 MPGe. In gasoline only terms, I got 143 mpg total consumption.

Or, in John's terms, for every 100 miles I used about .69 gallons of gas and 17.7 kwh of electricity.

Apparently you had no idea the Volt was so efficient! :)

I suspect austingreen's OnStar efficiency numbers were just derived based on the EPA 37 mpg combined city and highway estimate plus the EPA combined 350 Wh per mile. He (or someone else) took those EPA numbers and then took the real-world OnStar data showing that about 63% of Volt driving was on the battery. In other words, I suspect the "1 gallon plus 22 kwh for every 100 miles" was not based on actual reported OnStar data.

I don't recall OnStar releasing detailed statistics that included battery charging or hybrid mpg. Instead, they just released high level data on the total miles driven and broke that down into battery vs. gasoline.

In any case, we all know those EPA estimates are not as good as a Prius Plugin although they are about the same as a Ford CMAX Energi. Here's hoping the 2nd gen Volt will have prettier HV mpg numbers.

And again, the Volt and Energi are doing better on gas than the vast majority of gas-only cars while enabling most daily trips to be gas-free or greatly reduced.

#75 Jeff N, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Jeff, 50% EV with PiP could probably get you similar result as Volt with 68% EV.

The difference is much lower electricity consumption.

Didn't you know Austingreen works for GM, specifically at OnStar? :D

#76 usbseawolf2000, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2014
  17. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    For many drivers it would be a lot easier to manage 68% EV on the Volt than 50% EV on the PiP due to the relative battery sizes. With the smaller battery you may have to be a lot more diligent at finding charging opportunities.

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, that is one of many things GM withholds. Instead, they flaunt the total miles. The lack of any effort to prevent incorrect assumptions is really annoying. Some would call the lack of detail greenwashing, knowing it contributes to misleading.

Anywho, that real-world OnStar ratio as of this very moment is 62% EV.

And remember, that misleading comes about from people believing the EV value from PiP is the only time plug-supplied electricity is used. Many people have no idea that blending is counted at HV.

#78 john1701a, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    GM is the company that spent YEARS proclaiming "40 miles on 8 kWh."
    I actually find GM to be somewhat refreshing, in that I know that they will always spin so fast and hard they might as well lie.

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  20. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't quite see the horrible in it. I am not absolutely sure of gm's accuracy, but yes those are the best numbers we have for the full fleet of volts. For comparison to individuals, I would choose the self selectors, which are the drivers in volts stats. There the median is 78.9% electric miles, with 1 gallon of gasoline burned for every 160 miles for an mpge of 69.5. Your mpge is 61.3 a little better than the average of the full fleet (60.5), but far worse than most on volts stat self reporters ended up with in the cars. Volts stat calculates epa electric use so the electric mpge may be off. Another study found 15% of 2012 my volts in california went further than 40 miles on a full charge.

I would strive to understand statistics a little better. individual owners are only single data points in over a billion mile samples
    I don't know how gm keeps the statistics on electricity use. The gas usage is tracked though. Detailed data was made available to austin energy and other organizations when gm passed 500 million electric miles. We had a large number of government officials speculate that people simply wouldn't plug-in these cars. Some of them don't, but it is a small minority and included in the data.

I have no business or personal relationship with gm. I have consulted to bmw and toyota. Information is available on the volt but some people don't want to look. Toyota does not want to be part of the austin energy study, and has not provided any information, which is rather sad.