1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volt Fraud At Government Motors

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Octane, Oct 21, 2010.

1. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, he talks! Of course its all just conspiracy theory and name calling. :rolleyes:

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Capitalism is fine when it has reins of some sort. I think a good mix of capitalism and government is the way to go but it is such a volatile combination when people are uneducated in specific areas, are too greedy, corrupt, or plain just don't care. lol

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    GM has NOT been profitable after bankruptcy. Paying back loans with OTHER loans is NOT profitability. Leaving U.S. tax payers holding the lion's share of GM's stock is NOT profitability. GM's lies about Volt numbers, sadly, continue, regardless of whether it's Wagoner's lies, Lutz's lies, or the latest liar in charge. Normally when liars are caught in lies, they have to sprinkle a few truths down for at least a short time. Not here. Not GM

The Volt's failure (or, hopefully success, though not likely) has nothing to do with the corrupt nature of both political parties. Corrupt politicians are an issue all of us, the U.S. citizens who fail to change our corrupt system properly. WE are the corrupt pool from which our corrupt leadership comes from. WE are the lazy folks ... to lazy to even point our own fingers at our self for being the corrupt pool from which we draw our candidates. Our issues with our corrupt political candidate pool, belongs in FHOP ... the Volt failures belong in "hybrid news".

:focus:

1 person likes this.
  4. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Its the currency stupid!" Above all political arguments and the Pepsi vs. Coke false debates lies the central banking cartel. To argue Pepsi vs. Coke or corporate malfeasance is a waste of time without understanding the fundamentals behind the actions of both. What do Ford, GM, Xerox, HP, Chase, Bank of America, etc. all have in common? They are actually "in it" together and have been for decades.

- a short definition of how money is created and controlled.

by G. Edward Griffin.

by William Greider

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In the business world we call a company proffitable when it has positive income. GM made $1.2B in the second quarter. What definitition are you using? The i hate GM definition;-(

Can you show me one of these lies about volt numbers given in the last year, that was not immediately corrected? The only one I remember is that the software would not allow the engine to drive the rear wheels directly. The OP news item, was an op ed piece with little fact checking.

Well I can agree with the bulk of that. The gm and leaf success if they occur, will be partially from government subsidies. I don't think you can blame all of us as the source of government corruption. I attempt to fight it. The best way is to limit the role of government. With the supreme court ruling more corrupt money is flowing into politics than ever.

6. Octane

Octane Proud Member of 100 MPG Club

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I guess if the majority believes in man made global warming or that polar bears are threatened by CO2, maybe you are right.

In any event, what is the market share of the Prius in any of those Euro markets you mentioned? What is the market share of Hummer by comparison.

The Prius is starting to go mainstream and it's been mainly on the back of early adopters and without anything of value from the government in terms of subsidies. There is now a family of Prii in line. A success.

And, Cal Air Resources Board did more to set back the Prius and American Hybrids by a decade than any other lame brained bureaucracy imaginable.

CARB set the American automotive industry back by ten years in developing hybrid cars because CARB would not allow them as zero emission or low emission cars while CARB insisted on demanding that 5% of cars in California had to be electric cars. Only after they were forced to admit that the electric cars were a fraud, did they allow hybrid cars. By that time the Japanese manufacturers were way ahead of America. That has cost the American workers in the auto industry over 200.000 jobs and crushed the industry.

KILLCARB.ORG - HOME

Maybe the illiterates are in government.

7. Octane

Octane Proud Member of 100 MPG Club

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ergo, use the force of government to make people do something you feel is right whether it be taking steps to warm the earth by overcoming the impending ice age of 1974 or the melting of the polar ice caps in 1990...

Or specific areas such as having too many children for your liking, perhaps...

Nice.

I like freedom, better.

8. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    priusSport,

You are on the wrong thread.

9. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

That would be true if it didn't start burning gas ten seconds after you turn it on.

10. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Unfortunately you missed the key point of the prior statement. Your hatred makes you blind to facts, that's what is so wrong with your ilk.

As noted before the Congress makes the laws and the President executes those laws by signing them into effect. In the subject case that gets you so hot under the collar it was Congress that passed the Tax Credit bill that allows the Volt to get a $7500 rebate ( yes the buyers will be getting your tax dollars back :D ) and if I'm not mistaken that bill was passed during the Bush Administration so it was signed into law by the 'one whose name cannot be spoken'.
    http://www.soultek.com/clean_energy...asses_senate_too_favorable_too_chevy_volt.htm

But it's simply a continuation of the prior tax credit scheme which benefitted Toyota and Honda and Ford so much from 2006 onward. This is how our government has worked since forever... ( farm subsidies, drilling subsidies, range subsidies, you-name-it subsidies ). Welcome to American History 101 it's nice that you could join us this morning.

Government and Business are two arms of the same entity. One makes money then pays part of that money to the other to maintain peace and stability so that revenue and profits can be increased further.

1 person likes this.
  11. pappyt

pappyt Junior Member

well,looks like they could have just rebuilt the ev-1 that they destroyed

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    On the Federal side there was a hybrid tax deduction in 2005. Starting in 2006 there is a hybrid tax credit. All manufacturers can benefit according to the standards. Toyota's credit expired. GM's hasn't. To encourage people to buy cars they can't afford Cash for Clunkers was enacted. Again, all manufacturers were eligible.

NJ waives the 7% sales tax on EVs.

A concept car is magical. It can be all things to everyone. The Volt concept was a universal platform. It could be an EV, it could be a battery-hybrid with a gasoline or diesel engine or a hydrogen fuel cell. The only claim GM didn't make was that with the optional Flux Capacitor (which will be available in a couple of years) it could travel through time.

When they decided to build a production car the ideas collided with reality and the engineers, accountants, and marketers had to agree on what they can build instead of what they wanted to build.

The universal platform was eliminated. The transparancy in design & testing was forgotten. The electric only drive was dropped.

"Soon" the car designed by committee will be available for sale. With the compromises made will it appeal to enough buyers to be a success? I don't know. We all know who it won't appeal to.

1 person likes this.
  13. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Prius started to go mainstream in 2005 when the 3rd generation Prius was launched in the US. Toyota sold more Prius in 2005 than the combined sales from 2000 to 2004. The 3rd generation was a big improvement over the 2nd generation and this undoubtedly effect on the popularity of the Prius.

Something else happened in 2005. US Federal government started putting $3,4000 on the hood of every Prius sold in the form of a federal tax credit. I can't understand how you can dismiss the Federal tax credit when talking about the success of the Prius.

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In 2006 if a Prius sat on the lot for 2 weeks it was a long time. The only time one saw 6 cars at the same time was when the truck just unloaded. Regular gas was $2.979 (7/06 in NJ). No Prius ads on TV. The tax credit wasn't even mentioned on the showroom floor. I'd say the phase out of the credit accelerated sales by a month on the quarters but I don't think it created any demand.

Fast forward a few years. Industry sales are the lowest in 20 years. Inventory is everywhere. Gas is $2.479 (11/09 in NJ). C for C created demand as people who weren't going to buy a car traded in their qualifying vehicle.

15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It doesnt if you press the EV button...

16. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Welcome back.

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry. You lost me when you started going into your politically-derived ideology and anti-environmental rant. I've long given up trying to talk to people with such a skewed mental frame.

18. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not sure what EV button your talking about. but the one that comes on 2010 models, does little to stop the gas engine from burning gas. Most of the time you can't use the ev mode untill the car warms up the ICE. Seach and you will find tons of threads about all the reasons ev mode is "not available".

19. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wanna go live in Japan. Where Toyota is king.

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the 2004-2009 Prius with an EV button you can put the car in EV mode immediately upon vehicle boot up and keep the engine off. I will not argue the usefulness of this function but it is possible.