1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volt Marketing: Try it Free for 60 Days

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Jul 14, 2012.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    . . . . . . then return it - no strings? Can it be true? If so, man, GM's really stepping up to the plate.

Don’t Like Your New Chevrolet Volt? Just Return it. Chevrolet Offers 60 Day Returns

Seems too good to be true. I'm still looking thru all the boiler plate to see if you're stuck with state sales tax, registration, etc. What's to stop deadbeats that simply want a free 2 month car rental?

2. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I guess you still need to be able to afford the car in the first place? Other than that I don't know.

You are right though, seems a little too good to be true. However, if you get all the money back it's a really good way to try a vehicle as long as you don't drive it too much.

My question is what are they going to do with the ones people bring back in? Won't they have to sell those for quite a bit less?

Maybe they expect people to be 100% satisfied? When Hyundai was offering their program when they'd take the car back if you lost your job apparently VERY FEW actually were returned. Perhaps GM is learning from them? Joel Ewanick who used to be with Hyundai is over there now in a marketing role, VP I think.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How about they just lower the price for the Volt...LOL.

5. Reedja42

Reedja42 2012 Prius, Gen III, Barcelona Red, (FRED)

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So all of a sudden GM cares; "Horse Pucky!”, a little too late as far as I'm concerned. I've owned GMs all my life, until I bought my Prius. I've put up with their declining quality for years, and they didn't care about it then, why would they care now? Why would I buy a Volt, for twice what I paid for a Prius? They couldn’t earn back my business if they gave me a car. By the way I’m not bitter.:mad:

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Chevy Total Confidence Pricing - Love It or Return It | Chevrolet
    Scroll down to FAQs.
    Click "Love It or Return It"

5. Does the customer receive a full refund on his/her purchase price?
    A. In exchange for the vehicle, the customer will receive the vehicle purchase price after any rebates, discounts, plus genuine Chevy Accessories installed on the vehicle prior to delivery and included in the original vehicle purchase and any applicable sales tax they paid. Only the price of the vehicle itself (plus sales tax) is included. The buyback offer does not include a return of monies paid for any other taxes, licensing, titling or registration fees, insurance, non-GM Accessories, dealer fees, extended warranties, finance charges, negative equity or any other expenses incurred by the customer at the time of taking delivery of the new vehicle.

6. Are there mileage restrictions on returning the vehicle to the dealer?
    A. Yes. The eligible vehicle that is returned to the original selling/participating dealer cannot have more than 4,000 miles from the delivery date of the vehicle purchase.

7. Is the customer responsible for any costs associated with normal "wear and tear" upon returning the vehicle?
    A. No, but the vehicle cannot have had $300 or more worth of damage.

9. Is the vehicle eligible if it has been involved in an accident and repaired?
    A. Any vehicle involved in an accident would not qualify for the program.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Also, it seems people have to pay the "Total Confidence Price". Not sure if it's good or not.

And, one can opt out:
    On that note, you'd probably like listening to Great story on NUMMI on NPR's This American Life | PriusChat, if you haven't already. You can still stream it for free instead of (now) paying $0.99 to buy it. It was totally free as a podcast when it originally "aired".

You'd be floored by how broken GM's production system, methodology, labor relations, plant to HQ relations, etc. was.

8. Reedja42

Reedja42 2012 Prius, Gen III, Barcelona Red, (FRED)

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the link; I was unable to get it to stream, but it was worth the $0.99. The only thing I’m not so sure about is the suggestion that GM has improved. Improved at what; workers living it up on the backs of the customers, executives making bonuses for failure? “Chevy BS runs deep”. I remember the husband of a family friend who worked for GM, he was laid off, and I got the joy of watching him sit on his rectum for three years at full pay and benefits. That should help explain why a volt costs $40,000+. They aren’t going to fool me again.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would not want to take it back and listen to hours of why you owe them for damage, or pressure to buy the car. it's hard enough just going to a dealer to look at cars and have to put up with all that nonsense. but if you're the type who doesn't mind all the baloney, it might be worth a two month test.
    i think i could make up my mind in a week tho.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmm, streamed fine for me from
    Code:
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/403/nummi
    . I just clicked PLAY.

As for the latter, that sounds very much like the jobs bank, which the Big 3 supposedly finally got rid of. For those who are curious, Google for gm "jobs bank" paid to do nothing.

11. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I suspect after taxes and registration and dealer fees, it won't be cheaper than a rental car for two months. So most people will only do this route if the regret buying the car.

Also seems like a marketing thing, since the program is not even 60 days

You must have purchased an Eligible Vehicle and taken Delivery between July 10, 2012 and September 4, 2012.

Also you are effectively paying $500 for this protection:
    Also I'm betting the GM financing that goes along with this has huge penalties for early paying off a loan.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    negative equity? it's gm, that's a given.:p

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    yeah, negative equity sounds like a potentially very expensive two month and 4000 mile trial. I'll guess $1/mile. Anybody who finances this car and does not have thousands to pay upon return is stuck.

Time to get some popcorn and wait for a couple of fools to take the bait. This PR scheme is going to backfire on GM.

15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They don't mean depreciation. They mean that if you've financed they won't cover unpaid interest.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ Their contract mentions finance charges separately.

17. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Finance charges includes fees in addition to interest. Negative equity is CYA for "the stuff you owe as well as the stuff you paid".

It seems pretty simple to me. If you want to be able to return the car it'll cost you $500 and possibly more in opportunity cost on price negotation and then if you return it, it'll also have cost you...
    Dealer fees
    Finance fees
    Interest (paid or unpaid)
    State fees: registration and taxes (or any portion that can't be refunded).

Plus you can't return it if you've driven it a lot of miles (4,000 isn't that extreme. We drive 3,000 in two months) or had any kind of accidents.

Given the basic caveats and the cost of turning the car in GM doesn't need to stick the driver for depreciation.

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Some people don't drive much. My mom's 07 NAH (bought new in Feb 08, it was a leftover) has <20K miles on it.

19. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This reminds me of a past episode of "House of lies"

GM might buy back a few cars, but they look like heroes to the sheep (american public) in the end.

Funny how life imitates art

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Negative equity means the car is valued at less than the amount owed.