1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volt Sales Figures

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by El Dobro, Sep 26, 2011.

1. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great number, by the 15th month sales...

Does PiP on its 15th may be bigger than that (Jun or Jul 2013)?
    BTW, how many PHEV conversions have been made in current Prii?

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Volt has been available nationwide for awhile. Leaf just started the nationwide roll out and Prius PHV started in the 11(?) launch states so March would be interesting!

Does anyone has a breakdown of Volt's fleet sales?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I recall correctly, Ford sold over 68,000 Edsels over three model years before finally pulling the plug. The Edsel is considered the biggest automotive flop of all time, and yet the Volt doesn't stand a chance of selling even half as many copies over the same time period. The writing is on the wall, boys and girls...

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    GM was confident of selling 60k Volts this year, and in two months has sold about 1600. They are only off by 500% -- not bad for GM.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The edsel was a whole new ford division, with its own tv show. Complete failure with huge investment and high expectations. Its sales mainly just shifted sales from other ford divisions, and did not bring new buyers to the corporation. Volt has much lower expectations and adjusted for inflation investment. It is actually pulling people into gm show rooms and selling them other gm cars, mostly cruzes. It is also an investment in technology that gm needs to spread to other of their cars to meet future cafe and carb rules. There is writing on the wall, but both you and fox news seem to be reading from a different script.

6. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    But is the juice worth the squeeze? Not all dealers want the Volt in their showrooms, and neither GM nor the government will keep pouring money into this Albatross forever. The writing is one the wall for those of you who know how to read it.

7. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To be fair, GM backed away from that ridiculous estimate almost immediately. To my knowledge they have not pulled a number out of the air (this is how they estimate sales numbers) for 2012 since.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wasn't Volt's last projection about 25k units in US for '12?

They're about 1.6k so far.

9. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the nature of the tax credit hurts sales early in the year. If I had been on the fence it makes a lot more sense to buy in December and get the tax credit in a few weeks/months than buying in January and having to wait a year.

I'm optimistic we'll see sales steadily climb again for a while, maybe averaging out around 1800-2000 a month by years end.

No doubt many of you are confident Pip will outsell Volt. Given that Volt has a lead of 1600 units or so, in what month do you think total year sales in the U.S. for 2012 will Pip edge out Volt?

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's up with the Leaf??

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    End of June, by July 1st stats :D .. 2012

-----------

side note - I'm at actual rate of $1,181 / yr fuel (EPA is $1,116 damn close), while Volt,PiP EPA is $1k / year. Fun to watch plug-ins, 'bout it.

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A calm before the storm?

Perhaps $10,000 tax credit is needed to create a storm.

13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That is quite a different question. To GM it is. They need to remediate there ev1 killing, hummer selling reputation. To the US government it is, since plug-in incentives provide just a tiny fraction of money compared to subsidies for ethanol in fuel, and even a smaller amount of money than oil subsidies. Given that plug-in technology may actually give us a chance to be free from imported oil, its a very small price to pay. If the cars don't sell the US government is out even less money, but the cost in oil dependance is higher. This is true for all the PHEVs and BEVs not just the volt.

IIRC many toyota dealers did not want the prius in the early years either. Let's face it, blow hard idiot dealers like mike kelly are the biggest enemy of the volt. He is a dealer that also voted to keep the oil subsidies.

14. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohhh noooo the leaves are falling.

1 person likes this.
  15. sxotty

sxotty Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I figured it would outsell it for the year 1 month after it is released :)

That is assuming they are available to purchase. Btw in honesty I think the PiP will hurt toyota a little bit. I think it makes more sense for the average person, but I also think the average person will end up dissapointed with EV capabillity.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What's up with making fun of Leaf sales?

I thought you (and gwmort) want to reduce oil consumption as much as possible.

17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Remember all the prius chatters, that said if you can use a volt, your better off with a leaf? Maybe they were wrong. Maybe people actually don't want a ev and another car, to do the work of a phev.

Seriously though, I think the decline is a bad thing.
    February Plug-In Car Sales Rise: Leaf Drops, Volt Soars

The bad PR firestorm:D on the volt, really seemed to hurt the leaf more. Much of the negative press hit on BEV weaknesses. Add to that the styling, price increases, and better sales prospects in California for the volt and pip, and it made for a bad February. Leaf sales last year were 60% in California, they need to really expand sales in the rest of the nation. Bad logistics, lots of canceled orders?

A word on Nissan Leaf sales, orders and reservation numbers [w/poll]
    478 is really disapointing when you project 800, especially if you claim a high number of orders.

18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...little late on this. I am thinking FL was getting a special Orimulsion from Venezuela (heavy oil water mix) not sure if that still happens. Hawaii obvious special case.

19. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That was not making fun, I'm unhappy that they are falling. I want all EV/PHEVs to sell well. Its a bad sign for everyone one a good product on the market starts loosing traction. I have no idea why (and not enough time to find out why).

Did a little digging and it seems they may just be selling more in other countries (maybe better margins?) From a post at mynissialneaf.. "In Norway, for example, 214 Leafs were sold in February. Half the number of US deliveries but with 1/65th the population."

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...don't forget Volt being American car gets some add'l benefits such as reportedly GE is encouraging its employees to buy Volts. That must help, right?