1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Voltage converter for Traction Battery Generator

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Robmoo, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Robmoo

Robmoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My power has been out since a storm swept through the DFW area Thursday. I've read several threads about using ones Prius to generate power. The easiest method I read was to just connect a 1000watt inverter to the 12volt system. However, this doesn't provide enough power to run a freezer and 2 refrigerators. The small amount of info I've read on using the traction battery system for a generator seem to revolve around buying a used commercial UPS. There has to be a more compact less expensive way to go. 3kw 12volt inverters are easy to find.

Anyone know of a 230volt dc to 110volt ac converter that will generate 3kw running and up to 4 or 5kw surge, that doesn't cost an arms and a leg? Perhaps there a unit designed for usage with solar panels.

2. IanIanIanIan

IanIanIanIan Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Yes there are such inverters available, unfortunately the car is not capable of supplying 3kW via the 12V circuits. You will just blow the fuse.

One kilowatt is the maximum power available and many people belive that is too high and 800 Watts is more reasonable.

3. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  4. Robmoo

Robmoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's why I'd like to put together a plugout for the traction system. If I can get this put together I'll have my electrical panel replaced and in the process have a sub panel with a manual transfer switch for running off generator when the power fails. My electrical panel is from the 70's and I am planning on replacing it in the next year or 2 anyway.