1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Voltage on modules

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Dereko, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Dereko

Dereko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I originally took the battery out to test the modules, found one was much lower than the others. Replaced that one and still have the triangle, took battery out again and tested and these are the members I got. Anyone see any issues here?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you happen to balance the HV battery by using a DIY grid charger/discharger, or equivalent?
    There are only 27 modules listed in your post, unless mistaken.

3. Dereko

Dereko Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I must have missed one when I was taking down numbers.
    No I didn’t do any kind of balancing. I’ve been reading about that but never had to do it before with the other 2 batters I changed modules in, might have just got lucky

I’m waiting on my obdll tester to get here hopefully that will tell me something

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A couple issues to think about. First, those voltages are pretty high, meaning the battery was recently under a "being charged" condition. That tends to cover up problems. Second, voltage readings by themselves are poor for determining a weak module. They're good for detecting a "failed" module, but not a weak one.

As an example, I run down to the local store and buy some D, C, AA and AAA batteries. I throw my multimeter on them and they all measure 1.5 volts. Yet an AAA battery is only about 10% of the capacity of a D cell.

This is what happens to an HV battery over years of use. 28 individual modules that tend to diverge in capacity over the course of time and usage, until you have some D, some C, some AA and some AAA modules. It's those low capacity modules that cause the problem.

5. Gen2_Accel

Gen2_Accel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Red triangle- have you discounted a failed inverter coolant electric pump? That's the typical issue causing the red triangle.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The master warning light (a/k/a red triangle) can be illuminated for a myriad number of problems. A failed invert coolant pump is but one. Reading the codes is the best way to determine why the light is on.

In this case the master warning light has been attributed to battery issues.