1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Voltage question for possible switch panel purchase

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by GoldPianoGarden, Apr 23, 2012.

1. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am desperately searching for an 8-switch panel to run all the new lighting on my car. I have not been too crazy about most that I've found (look like they belong in an off-road vehicle or something). However, I just ran across this cool, yet pricey, credit card-thin one:

WIRED HDH, HEAVY DUTY AUTOMOTIVE PRODUCTS, COLORADO

"WIRED HDH patent pending Flat Switch Panel (FSP) is the easiest, most versatile switch panel on the market today! No thicker than a credit card, a footprint smaller than a dollar bill, flexible, and programmable makes our line of switch panels the best for ANY application!

Being programmable, the FSP series gives you options on how to control any of your accessories. No other panel on the market gives you so many features straight out of the box!
    Features:
    Keypad: 1/32" thick and measures 5.5" x 1.75"
    Compact control unit measuring 6.5" x 3.25" x 1.25"
    8 switches in an area smaller than a dollar bill.
    Keypad and control unit are water and chemical resistant. and completely splash proof
    Easy, intuitive, "on the fly" programming. Takes less than 30 seconds! See how it works in our video section!
    Individual switches can be "programmed" to be momentary or sustained
    Individual switches can be "programmed" to be active all the time, or only when the ignition key is on
    Each individual output is electronically fused for 2.5 amps - letting you run many accessories direct, or adding relays to run anything else!
    Automatic low voltage protection - shuts down your accessories if the battery drops below a certain level
    Water and Chemical resistant. Completely splash proof
    Keypad is UV resistant for long life when mounted in open cabs
    Switch life rating is >1,000,000 activations
    Comes with WIRED HDH 2 year warranty"

Well, my first concern was the part where it says that each output is fused for 2.5 amps. Is that enough to effectively control all the different zones of lights I need to wire individually? Don't understand amps....

And, it says somewhere that it will shut down the accessories if the battery voltage drops below 11.5 volts. I don't know how that plays into our whole hybrid scenario with the way our engine 'shuts off and turns back on' as you're driving it. (probably has nothing to do with voltage, but I'm clueless...) The panel is near-$400, so don't wanna drop that much on it if my stuff would just be continually shutting off and coming back on. But, this panel does appear to be the least obtrusive (most of the others are about 8" x 3"-4" in size, which is hard to stick somewhere around the steering wheel where I can use it and reach it frequently and easily). Help, please!?!!?

I've attached the install manual, which has specs and more indepth stuff that may answer something or assist someone who can be of help....

Attached Files:

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Each lamp will pull it's rated number of amps. For example a standard hallogen headlight pulls about 5.5 amps. You can interpose a relay in any branch that approaches 2 amps and then the switch only needs to supply a low current to energize the relay and the relay contacts will handle the high current required for the light.
    As long as your hybrid is in "Ready", or "ACC" mode (don't stay in ACC Mode long as the HV battery can also get discharged), the 12v battery is being charged by the inverter (using the HV battery as the power source) and the 12v battery will not be affected. The charging system can supply up to 100amps of 12v current. You should not operate heavy current loads off the 12v battery when it is not being supported by the charging system as it is not up to the task.

JeffD

1 person likes this.