1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Voltage Sense wiring diagram for cylindrical style Newpriusbatteries.com

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Brucetafer, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Brucetafer

Brucetafer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2nd gen kit but putting it into a 3rd gen, trying to get a wiring diagram for the kit, I have the original one but since the pack is backwards, im all screwed up.. plus I have to solder each wire into the board since he was out of stock for the 3rd gens.. I have the V1-V15 style 2nd gen.. or if anybody has a picture of the plug of the 3rd gen..

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yikes!!! This is the first time I've heard anything that's bad or difficult about New Prius Batteries... Sure hope he finds a way to make this situation better for you!

3. Brucetafer

Brucetafer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    oh totally my fault, he's been nothing but helpful.. my situation was a disaster..

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Brucetafer

Brucetafer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    well, this was a complete nightmare, 3 weeks of reverse engineering and I finally figured out that these sense boards are really shitty.. the grounding issues and feedback loop to ground really needs to be isolated.. So im trying to figure out if anybody has modified or upgraded their HV voltage ECU (the battery group wiring loom orange) to be more isolated from the HV and 12v sources.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm ... is there some operational problem that the 'shitty' sensor design is causing you, that it doesn't cause for everybody else with a Prius?

All the HV wiring is intended to be isolated from body ground and from the 12 volt system. But the battery ECU isn't just there to measure block voltages. Another job it is assigned is to verify that the HV wiring is still properly isolated from body ground and the 12 volt system—and for that reason, there could be more going on there with respect to ground and +12 than you would otherwise expect.

6. Brucetafer

Brucetafer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yeah it has a lot of leakage current, lots of issues from 2004-2015 I've noticed a lot of them causing false bad hybrid battery codes, which for the non priuschat gurus. they were taken for a ride at the dealerships to replace the whole unit and waste lots of money. it doesn't isolate very well unfortunately.. also with a small change it could have easily monitored much more information to be more friendly to the environment and not dump tons of perfectly good cells..

but Im also bitching in 2021, and when these were invented we were just transferring to smart phones..