1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volume Control For Text Messages?

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by mr88cet, May 21, 2017.

1. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Do any of you know of a volume control for text-message reading and/or for the prompt beep for new messages arriving?

(I searched a bit in the manual, so apologies in advance if I missed it.)

iPhone ? Pro

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have the big screen, right? I found this in the manual to try & help. There is a manual for each screen size.
    upload_2017-5-21_19-27-42.png
    upload_2017-5-21_19-28-6.png

These newer cars really are quite complex.

#2 Prodigyplace, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    mr88cet likes this.
  3. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Perfect! Thanks.

Looks like I was using all the wrong keywords in my search! :) "Message" would have been a hit, and undoubtedly was when I tried it, except that it *also* hit about a billion passages about diagnostic "messages"! :)

In hindsight, probably best to search from the TOC for this sort of thing rather than a keyword search...

iPhone ? Pro

#3 mr88cet, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  4. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the Wide Navigation Systems Owner's Manual? I guessed the Bluetooth settings would ne in the Navigation manuals.
    I browsed the table of contents for the phone section. (page 161)
    On page 161, I see "Phone Settings" on 182 & Messaging on 190. The Messaging one is not helpful for this though.
    Page 182 (my top graphic) mentions Sound Settings on page 183 (my second graphic).

Just a lucky search for me, I guess.

mr88cet likes this.
  5. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not at all; in 20/20 hindsight, you had the right idea to search from the TOC rather than my approach of trying to find it by keyword search.

Well done! Thanks again.

iPhone ? Pro

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In my experience Toyota manuals are unusual. I have been searching for information mainly since I got my Prius last October. Your navigation manual looks like it is organized differently still.

Lee enjoying your new, long awaited ride.

7. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One thing I don't like about the Navi or Text Reading is that you can't alter its volume on the fly (you have to go deep into the menus), so if you're driving with lots of noise (window open, screaming kids) or in perfect quiet (windows closed, serene bliss) you have to then go into the menu options to adjust the volume if you either want to hear it or stop it from blasting (depending on how noisy/quiet it currently is in your car). I guess there was no choice, for with the radio or other audio options on, the volume controls just the audio, but it would have been nice to have the volume control the car's voice prompts on the fly if the audio systems were all off..