1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volume knob turning up when turned down

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Krellan, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Krellan

Krellan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2012 Prius v Five. No ATP option, so just the standard radio.

When the volume knob is turned down, instead the volume will turn up. The volume number also jumps around sometimes, it is not smooth.

Has anybody else had this problem? Is there an easy fix for this? It sounds like there might just be a problem with the rotary encoder knob.

The workaround is to use the steering wheel buttons to turn down the volume, but that's annoying, because they only go one step at a time, so you have to hold down or rapid-fire the button to get the radio turned down fast. Or, turn it off altogether, by pressing in the knob (thankfully, this still works fine).

Josh

2. Slide_into_the_V

Slide_into_the_V Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    It sounds like you have some static on the controls. you ever have an old radio that made static when you adjusted the bass/treble/volume? The problem you're having is the digital equivalent of that. Lucky for you, it's an easy fix... if the fix works.

First things first: see if you can pull the knob off. If you can, yay. If you can't pull the knob off, stop reading now, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Or try using something to pry it up with, Whatever. Try to find something that's plastic- you may scratch your interior with a metal screwdriver. Alternately, some kind of pliers and a cloth (to protect your knob) might work - but you run the risk of scratching the knob, and there's a chance you'll pull on it, slip, and smack yourself in the face with the pliers, or pinch your fingers..maybe both. Don't ask me how I know this.

Next up: what you need is something call control cleaner spray. Shouldn't be more than $10 for a can of it. Can be bought at Fry's electronics, Radio Shack, or online. Deoxit is a well respected brand if you're looking online. If you're in meatspace, just get whatever they have on hand.

Finally, the fix- first up, make sure your car is off. Remove the knob, but keep it on hand. Attempt to gently spray a bit of the control cleaner right where the stick (the part where your knob attaches) meets the rest of the electronics. About a second of spraying is plenty. I recommend you have a cloth on hand, and cover it up, or avert your eyes... wear safety glasses? The point is, this stuff tends to come out with far too much force, and it will splash back at you.

Anyway, you spray a little bit in there, and then pop the knob back on and spin it for 30 seconds or so.

Now wait.

Do not turn your radio on for 5 minutes.

That's it!