1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Voluntary speed limiters coming to a country near you ?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Dozzer, Dec 31, 2008.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well the law is pretty much the same everywhere... and unfortunately, our actions also follow suit. its pretty much normal for people to flip out if encountering someone driving at or just below the speed limit in good driving conditions.

2. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    While you may be ticketed for doing so, you will very likely be charged with violating CVC 22350 - AKA the Basic Speed Law.

The posted speed limit is not an absolute. See CVC 22351 which declares that
    For an example on how you can legally exceed the posted speed limit, read this:

Basic Speed Law Defense

A more likely scenario is driving 50mph on a street with a posted 40mph speed limit. Provided that traffic is light, the roadway is clear and free and visibility is very good and your vehicle is in good maintenance, you can indeed safely and legally exceed 40mph most of the time. As a general rule of thumb, I would avoid speeding in excess of 10mph faster than the speed limit - anything faster is usually easily declared to be in violation of the basic speed law.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Interesting, but I wouldn't want to try to use that defense. I'll let you try it and see if it works. ;)

I did once read about a similar defense for carrying an oversized load. A boat builder was carrying a long piece of wood on top of his car, and was ticketed by the police. The boat builder managed to convince the judge that his experience as a professional boat builder made him an expert in carrying long loads on his car, and therefore the long load was not a safety risk. I don't see it, but the judge bought the defense and threw out the ticket.

Tom

Tom

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dave, I'm not clear on this one, who are the idiots, the people legally driving at and below the speed limit or the people who are breaking the law by speeding and weaving through traffic? Thanks in advance for clearing this up for me.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    its the lawmakers that are the idiots. the "stay right (or left in your case) except to pass" should be strictly enforced at all times.

and to me speed limits are exactly that, if you are exceeding it, you should be fined, if you are doing it in a reckless way (weaving in and out of traffic) then you should be nailed